µTorrent 1.5

dipdude

Skilled

This is the biggest release ever. The major changes are of course Peer Exchange and Protocol Encryption, in combination with optimizations to download speed and harddisk accesses.

The biggest GUI change is a new category list that sorts your torrents by label.

Latest changes :

- Feature: Setting to determine the number of µTorrent users.

- Feature: Use icons instead of network ok/nat error

- Feature: Auto detect read cache size

- Feature: Language file can be auto updated

- Feature: Keys can be used in main listview to move to the right item

- Feature: New easter egg

- Feature: RSS Help button

- Feature: Reorder RSS favorites

- Feature: If user is running from temporary internet files, prompt to install it.

- Feature: Added popup menu to easily change if the scheduler/dht is enabled.

- Feature: Added log-to-file option in logger.

- Feature: Option to always prioritize the rarest pieces.

- Feature: Added active/inactive categories in category list

- Feature: DEL key works in RSS history, and the last item is selected

- Feature: RSS history remembers only 500-600 items

- Feature: XML parser supports # tags

- Feature: Determine the values to show in the speed popup list automatically.

- Feature: Category list to filter main torrent list.

- Feature: Propagate encryption support through PEX

- Feature: Choose what happens on double click in torrent list

- Feature: Show a special message if utorrent crashes while NOD32 is active.

- Feature: Added scheduler mode to seed only (hold Shift button)

- Feature: Support min_interval key

- Feature: Ctrl Up/Down to move up/down a torrent

- Feature: Show average up/down speed since start.

- Feature: Show encryption status in Flags field

- Feature: Copy hosts from peer list

- Feature: Peer Exchange (only with µT peers for now)

- Feature: Protocol Encryption

- Feature: Bypass Windows XP Firewall

- Feature: Make torrent prioritized from add torrent window

- Feature: RSS toolbar button

- Feature: Smart RSS episode filtering - avoids downloading the same ep twice.

- Feature: ESC minimizes

i've already switched to the new version....its the best torrent client out there....even someone with 128MB ram can easily use this without any perceptible load on the system,....yo mutorrent....

After many beta versions µTorrent 1.5 (stable) has finally been released. I downloaded it today, tested it by downloading some large files here are my findings:-

1-> Increase in speed: One of the criticisms of µTorrent 1.4 was that it took to long to connect to peers and the speeds were fluctuating too much. In this new version i can connect to peers much more quickly. The speed is more constant now and i getting the max speeds that are possible on my connection. I have tested this both in a large and a smaller swarm of peers.

2-> Reduced Disk access: Another problem with µTorrent 1.4 was that it was accessing the hard disk too often. Now with the automatic disk read cache management µTorrent is accesing the hard disk less frequently. You can also manually set the disk_write_que to any large value( but not larger than 32000). Reduced disk acces mean increase in hard disk life :) .

Besides these the major feature of µTorrent 1.5 is Protocol encryption. This feature will help those user's whose ISP is throttling bittorent traffic.

Another interting addition in µTorrent version 1.5 is an easter egg of the classic Tetris game. This can be accessed in the 'about' window from the 'help' menu. Just open the 'about' window and press 't' on your keyboard to enjoy the game. The easter egg can be accessed by clicking on the 'µ' icon in the about window.

Back