1 connection 2 laptops

Imagine

Disciple
Feb 26, 2005
HI guys.... i need help.. as the topic says i have 2 laptops at home and one connection to net...
What is the easiest way to access net on both the systems... both have a firewire port and bluetooth.... Can anyone tell me which one is better...
one lappy is used for games and the other for download n browsing... If one lappy has direct connection and the other uses bluetooth then wat speed will i get on the second one if the connection is 10mbps...

Thanx a lot.

SoulFire

Skilled
Oct 22, 2005
do both laptops have wifi?ift hey do you could create a ad havoc connection and do connection sharing

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
quick question...don't both the laptops have a wireless card coz if they do, a ad-hoc wireless connection would be the best way...

Anyway, you can hook the 2 using firewire easily..Just do an ICS betwen the LAN NIC and the 1394 connection on the host PC

And do not forget to manually assign private IPs to both firewire cards...

As for BT, not advisable, you can do it (similar to the method above) but you'll be plagues by a fickle connection with low thoroughputs and verry limited range

Imagine

Disciple
Feb 26, 2005
Ya both the laptops have wireless network card....
U guys mean one laptop will get the direct connection and creates a ad havoc network and the other laptop uses the new network created to access net???
And wats the speed i will get on the second laptop( the one using wireless net) can i play CSS on the second laptop ???

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
Imagine said:
Ya both the laptops have wireless network card....
U guys mean one laptop will get the direct connection and creates a ad havoc network and the other laptop uses the new network created to access net???
And wats the speed i will get on the second laptop( the one using wireless net) can i play CSS on the second laptop ???

oh yes..If you have wireless cards on both, don't even bother about other connection methods...

Use one laptop for connecting to the net directly, create an ad-hoc wireless network between the two, enable ICS between your Internet (WAN) NIC and WLAN NIC and you are good-to-go!

Also, you'll have a 1-3 ms ping + actual speeds of 5-6mbps between the two machines which is definitely more than enough for any game

Do kep in mind though that the 1st (stationery) machine needs to be always-on whenever you want to use the net on the second....

Which is why a wireless router would be the right long term solution for you, but the ad-hoc network also works pretty well except for the issue stated above

mjp1618

Disciple
Jan 7, 2006
Imagine said:
HI guys.... i need help.. as the topic says i have 2 laptops at home and one connection to net...
What is the easiest way to access net on both the systems... both have a firewire port and bluetooth.... Can anyone tell me which one is better...
one lappy is used for games and the other for download n browsing... If one lappy has direct connection and the other uses bluetooth then wat speed will i get on the second one if the connection is 10mbps...

Thanx a lot.

10mbps???:S

At Zürich?

How much does it cost there?

Imagine

Disciple
Feb 26, 2005
Thanks a lot Superczar... will go home n try it out... and post more doubts tmrw :) I wont be here for long so buying a router will be waste i guess...
10mbps connection is 100CHF converted to 3700Rs... also there is a 2mbps connection (edit wireless) for 230CHF

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
I think you mean 1 mbps (not 10)...Europe broadband prices are higher than India in general, though availability is alot better.....

Imagine

Disciple
Feb 26, 2005
Nope it says 10Mbps... I'm at office right now but will go home n post the after testing the connection... May be the cost is low since its not a separate connection i took but it is provided by default if u rent a house.

Dark_Knight

Adept
Dec 21, 2005
Hi,
Im having the same problem.. 3 laptops-1connection.. can u pl giv step by step directions to set up the adhoc network.. (im a n00b).

Thanks!

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
can u pl giv step by step directions to set up the adhoc network.. (im a n00b).

Here you go ->

1- Assuming ur desktop is connected to the Internet through one network interface say N1 ,and the other network interface on ur desktop is the WLAN card, say N2..Your notebook has a internal/PCMCIA WLAN card, say N3..all network interfaces are up & working with the right drivers

2- N1 is connected to the net, so for N1, go to Network connections> N1>properties>Advance>Internet connection sharing, and enable it to allow N2 to use the net

3- go to network connections>N2>properties>TCP/IP

4- Assign manual IP of say 192.168.0.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 leave rest blank

5- go to the wireless connections tab on N2, click on add, give a new SSID (Name for WLAN) say TE, click on the checkbox at bottom (that says this is a wirleess peer-peer connnection, or sumthing similar)

6- Just leave the wep/WPA off for now, we can set it up later

7- Click ok

8- Now go to notebook, N3

9- Go to network connections>N3>properties>TCP/IP

You can either leave it at default (Automatic IP config) , or assign a manual IP of say 192.168.0.2

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

gateway=192.168.0.1

DNS server=192.168.0.1

10- Go to wireless networks tab, and refres/search for wireless connection..now u should see the network with SSID TE here, (if u don't, it means u haven't specified TE as a peer-peer/ad-hoc network in the wireless connection tab on N2)

11- double click TE, click on OK in the new dialog box....

12- Aanjoy!

Reactions: 2 people

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
^^ Thanks for appreciating though am far from the best...

Now that the netwok is running though, activate a WEP security passkey to avoid other people snooping on or leeching off your network

Imagine

Disciple
Feb 26, 2005
hey i have a problem... I did all the things tht u have written but i couldnt access net on the second computer.. i mean i shared the ethernet connection and the wireless is also connected but the second leptop cannot access internet... should i change the proxy settings or something ???

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
no need to fiddle around with the proxy settings...

Do the following and post back:

1- Does ping between the two computers work?

2- Post a screenshot of the Wireless connection status>support>details tab, or list out all the details mentioned there (on the second computer)