Mac OS 10.6.4 is out!

Amaresh

Adept
Apple today released Mac OS X 10.6.4, the fourth maintenance update for Snow Leopard, via Software Update. The update offers a number of fixes implemented since the release of Mac OS X 10.6.3 in late March.
The 10.6.4 Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard. It includes Safari 5 and general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including fixes that:

- resolve an issue that causes the keyboard or trackpad to become unresponsive
- resolve an issue that may prevent some Adobe Creative Suite 3 applications from opening
- address issues copying, renaming, or deleting files on SMB file servers
- improve reliability of VPN connections
- resolve a playback issue in DVD Player when using Good Quality deinterlacing
- resolve an issue editing photos with iPhoto or Aperture in full screen view
- improve compatibility with some braille displays

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: About the Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update.
For information on the security content of this update, please visit: Apple security updates.

does this really deserve a new thread? An Apple user myself, I hate the updates for their inflated sizes. 10.6.4 is some 610 odd MB in size! 610MB! And only a couple of measly fixes. Sheh.

It was 641 mb for me. I really don't understand why it takes 600mb for such small bug fixes.

4707090162_191778fe1d_b.jpg

Frankly, Apple never lists the complete changelog and update fixes... they only highlight few of it. Curious though why some of you are getting 610MB of update... were you guys on 10.6.3 or was it earlier?

Actually, the update size varies for different models. The 600 odd MB update was for the 2010 MBPs IIRC, as they had a few bugs that needed fixing. The older Macs (Speaking from experience, and my 2009MBP) had a 315ish MB update.

Btw, the updates are heavy on the filesize cause you must remember, its not just adding files, they also rewrite apps, and also replace old system files with newer versions constantly. Not to mention Safari 5 was bundled in the update.

Oh, and by the by, iTunes 9.2 is out too

I havent updated the OS yet...the fixes mentioned dont seem worth the download time. For the ones who have done the update, did you notice any other changes?

Back