Budget 51-70k 1080p or 1440p?

NoobP

Recruit
What should aim for: 1080p Or 1440p? The difference between two build(the config I selected) is around 12000.

1080p is 60000 and 1440p is 72000 (including monitor)

And is 16 gigs ddr4 ok? Or should I spent extra 4k to upgrade to 32gigs?

Ps: I'm building it for casual work and around 2~3 hrs of daily gaming.

Last edited:
Depends on the games. See if you'd be happy with the fps you'd get with the selected hardware for the games you're looking to play.

Generally, for competitive games the higher resolution is a reasonable compromise for the fps gain on 1080p; for sight-seeing, story based games, otherwise.

You should buy a 1440p monitor, even if you can't game at that resolution natively, you can use fsr or dlss for upscaling.

Also, 16gb is plenty for 90% of the games and work.

The difference in price is not a deciding factor.
List your hardware and the types of games you're gonna play and at what settings and your expected FPS.

AAA gaming kinda needs 32GB RAM now or in simpler terms more than 16GB RAM if you multitask but if you'll only have the game running and no browsers open at the same time to eat your RAM out sure, save a few bucks and go with 16GB, I wouldn't cuz RAM is cheap.
At 1440p I'd suggest a GPU with at least 12GB VRAM.

Does the build include the monitor? If motherboard is decent and has 4 RAM slots, pick up 8Gbx2 for now and add another when the need arises.
I'm thinking of using some used parts, so I can squeeze in a decent 1440p monitor. The motherboard is B550M vdh-pro wifi from msi (does need a bios update tho)

You should buy a 1440p monitor, even if you can't game at that resolution natively, you can use fsr or dlss for upscaling.

Also, 16gb is plenty for 90% of the games and work.
Don't some 1080p monitors able to do that too? Well, I'm still considering as I'm not a heavy gamer and buying it mainly for work. Yeah, I'll buy 16 for now. If I need extra later, I can just buy some. (tho the pc isn't getting build until I get my salary )

The difference in price is not a deciding factor.
List your hardware and the types of games you're gonna play and at what settings and your expected FPS.

AAA gaming kinda needs 32GB RAM now or in simpler terms more than 16GB RAM if you multitask but if you'll only have the game running and no browsers open at the same time to eat your RAM out sure, save a few bucks and go with 16GB, I wouldn't cuz RAM is cheap.
At 1440p I'd suggest a GPU with at least 12GB VRAM.
Yeah, I'm considering the entry level 1440p gpu 6700xt

Yeah, I'll buy 16 for now. If I need extra later, I can just buy some. (tho the pc isn't getting build until I get my salary )
1712431946377.png

Chrome (Only using 5GB) and Hogwarts Legacy, RAM usage 23+GB, peak usage went to 28GB.
So if you have 16GB RAM expect occasional stutters on AAA games.
Sadly it's not 2017 anymore when 16GB RAM was plenty.

Do upgrade to 32GB RAM later if short on cash right now. I'd say 8GB RAM is bare minimum for a PC to work well on Win11 but ideally you need 16GB RAM for the coming years. For gamers, 16GB is the minimum with some games already needing more RAM, so 32GB RAM is the new 16GB.

Acer XV272U V3 is a good budget 1440p monitor, costs under 20k, so effectively 10k increase over a good 1080p monitor, say something like Acer VG240Y M3 at 10k. FSR 2.x at quality mode at 1440p is good for upscaling in future with a 6750XT. Also a 27" display is better to work on than a 24" display.

Back