12-cell Netbooks

MHG

Adept
Are there any 12-cell battery equipped netbooks available in India ? Stuff with enough battery backup to last a day of computing ?

The thinkpad x220 has a 12.5 inch screen, weighs 1.6kgs with a 9 cell battery which lasts 10-15 hours on a single charge with very heavy continuous usage. (I own one and can vouch for it). You can check the updated thinkpad x230 model with ivybridge cpus. these machines can set you back by 45-95k. You can check the HP 2560p as well. If your budget is low - go for the Thinkpad x120e @ 17k which will last 6-7 hours on a single charge with continuous usage as will the HP DM1z.

asus 1015cx... 11hr claimed, 10hrs i am getting... very cost efficient netbook just 13.5-14k.. just only one drawback of non upgradeable ram.

The thinkpad x220 has a 12.5 inch screen, weighs 1.6kgs with a 9 cell battery which lasts 10-15 hours on a single charge with very heavy continuous usage. (I own one and can vouch for it). You can check the updated thinkpad x230 model with ivybridge cpus. these machines can set you back by 45-95k. You can check the HP 2560p as well. If your budget is low - go for the Thinkpad x120e @ 17k which will last 6-7 hours on a single charge with continuous usage as will the HP DM1z.

Where, oh WHERE is the Thinkpad x120e priced at 17k ? :scared14:

That is a very sweet deal. Well my idea is to:

1. Maximize Battery Life
  2. Minimize Size
  3. Minimize Cost
  4. Normalize Keyboard Size

I wish to strike a balance between above parameters. A fixed parameter however is 4GB RAM upgrade. Usage is office, entertainment while travelling and internet.

asus 1015cx... 11hr claimed, 10hrs i am getting... very cost efficient netbook just 13.5-14k.. just only one drawback of non upgradeable ram.

10 hours - that sounds splendid. Could you extrapolate a bit on the RAM issue ? I would love to have 4GB RAM... Is there another model of the same netbook with upgradable memory ?

And how is the keyboard ? Full-sized keys or shrunken keys ?

@MHG I am cut off from everything due to the abyss of work my office has plunged me into but a couple of months back there were quite a few people here who bought the Thinkpad x120e for 17k.

Last edited by a moderator:
MHG I am cut off from everything due to the abyss of work my office has plunged me into but a couple of months back there were quite a few people here who bought the Thinkpad x120e for 17k.

I should have bought x120e only but its not available anywhere. Its actually a corporate lappy and there were many issues with its availability. Else, the netbook/lappy is great..

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

10 hours - that sounds splendid. Could you extrapolate a bit on the RAM issue ? I would love to have 4GB RAM... Is there another model of the same netbook with upgradable memory ?

And how is the keyboard ? Full-sized keys or shrunken keys ?

The Ram is embedded on the motherboard so, by any chances it cannot be upgraded. And no,there is no such model from Asus netbook series which can solve this issue. You can have a bit of luck if u can get your hands on an older model which has been discontinued, in which you can upgrade Ram to 2GB. The one i have is 1015"CX" , you can look for 1015"PX" if you can find some old stock somewhere.
As per my experience, the netbook is simply great if u just want to download stuff, watch movies (it plays 720p like butter), surfing and basic office work (excel,ppt)..

MHG I am cut off from everything due to the abyss of work my office has plunged me into but a couple of months back there were quite a few people here who bought the Thinkpad x120e for 17k.

Just saw it at Sulekha for 17.5k. Thought it'll be the version with Windows and otherwise would be cheaper but seems like this is price of version without Windows.

BTW how is your experience with its keyboard ? Is it comfortable enough for heavy typing work ??

I should have bought x120e only but its not available anywhere. Its actually a corporate lappy and there were many issues with its availability. Else, the netbook/lappy is great..

What do you mean its actually a corporate lappy ?

The Ram is embedded on the motherboard so, by any chances it cannot be upgraded. And no,there is no such model from Asus netbook series which can solve this issue. You can have a bit of luck if u can get your hands on an older model which has been discontinued, in which you can upgrade Ram to 2GB. The one i have is 1015"CX" , you can look for 1015"PX" if you can find some old stock somewhere.
As per my experience, the netbook is simply great if u just want to download stuff, watch movies (it plays 720p like butter), surfing and basic office work (excel,ppt)..

Can you upgrade the PX model to 4GB RAM ???

Seems like there are SEVERAL issues with the integrated graphics (made by PowerVR) in newer Atoms, while the GMA 3150 in PX has widespread linux driver support so it'll be ideal as a buy. Any place this stock is confirmed as available ?

The thinkpads have the best keyboards. Thinkpads are known for the following few things:-
1. The build quality and ruggedness
2. Reliability
3. Performance and hardware
4. The best keyboards amongst all laptops
5. Excellent after sales support and availability of spares

The thinkpads have the best keyboards. Thinkpads are known for the following few things:-
1. The build quality and ruggedness
2. Reliability
3. Performance and hardware
4. The best keyboards amongst all laptops
5. Excellent after sales support and availability of spares

What you are saying is true about the classic thinkpads that are now Thinkpad T-Series (business class notebooks with metal chassis and plastic outside for extra ruggedness).

But the ThinkPad x120e is a cheap plastic subnotebook. Do everything you just mentioned above also apply to it ?

I currently have an eMachines laptop that has a really awesome keyboard that I have not seen in Dell XPS and HP DV6 (keys are full sized and occupy complete space and don't have plateau-like structure that makes typing hard). Can it match this in typing comfort ? I'm especially worried if the size of keys is not regular full size.

i went to a local exclusive thinkpad store and asked about the lappy. the owner said he can get it arranged. He called the wholesale supplier.The supplier said that the lappies are only available on bulk orders like 50pcs because they are available on direct company requests as they were made to be supplied to organizations and offices. I forgot the correct word he used for this thing. :p

I guess I'll need to wait till next year when Atom Valley View Architecture based netbooks will be out if I have to buy Intel. It has Intel HD4000 Graphics from Ivy Bridge (that does not have driver issues with linux unlike PowerVR) and designs with upto 4 CPU cores (8 with hyperthreading). Its seeming like the only logical option because Cedar View is so horrible (bad drivers and most netbooks have soldered low capacity RAM).

Apart from ThinkPad what are the other options from AMD side ? Seems like everything AMD is much costlier in India than it should be...

Back