All OS 120 Watts phone charger compatibility

sherlock7

Recruit
I have one Xiaomi phone which supports 120 Watts charging. Obviously, 120 Watts charger came along with the new phone kit. Now, I saw that recently new redmi phones are launched. The mid range ones do not support 120 Watts charging and only the higher range phones do. What will happen if I buy a mid range phone which does not support 120 Watts charging and use my old 120 Watts charger on the new phone to charge it quickly? Will it affect the phone battery in any manner? I am not sure if the phones which do support 120 Watts charging have their batteries/softwares optimized for that kind of charging.

Last edited:
No damage is going to happen to your phone irrespective of the charger wattage. Devices draw current as needed, meaning they will only use as much power as they are designed to, regardless of the wattage of the phone charger. Yet, it is always recommended to use the original supplied or suggested wattage charger.

No damage is going to happen to your phone irrespective of the charger wattage. Devices draw current as needed, meaning they will only use as much power as they are designed to, regardless of the wattage of the phone charger. Yet, it is always recommended to use the original supplied or suggested wattage charger.
Why is it recommended to use only the native charger?

Absolutely yes for smart chargers, there are however some poorly made unbranded Chinese chargers which can end up damaging your phone. Just see the current output of the charger you plan to use. Also please remember that fast charging on regular basis will lead to deterioration of battery irrespective of brand.

Why is it recommended to use only the native charger?
Incompatible products can sometimes cause issues and shorten the product life or malfunction it though chargers seldom cause this but better to exercise caution.
In emergency or otherwise its completely fine though.

EOD its an electronic stuff and things can go haywire..

Absolutely yes for smart chargers, there are however some poorly made unbranded Chinese chargers which can end up damaging your phone. Just see the current output of the charger you plan to use. Also please remember that fast charging on regular basis will lead to deterioration of battery irrespective of brand.
If fast chargers cause deterioration of the battery, then why do the companies manufacture them?
How does it matter, on the battery, whether it is being charged quickly or slowly?

USB chargers by default will supply only lower wattage at 5V. But if the phone can talk and negotiate with the charger, a higher wattage can be supplied.

To get 120W, the charger is most likely not sending 24 amp current @ 5V (12A x 5V = 120W), since that will require thicker wires. Instead it will increase the voltage, like around 19V (depends on the technology implemented). This way you can have a single charger for your phone and laptop.

You can connect a charger that provides higher current and the device will draw only as much as it needs.
But if you connect a charger that gives higher voltage, your device will release magic smoke.

You can check the back/side of the charger to see what outputs it supports.
As long as your phone's input voltage is supported, you can use any charger, irrespective of wattage.
But battery life will take a hit if you use high ampere charging a lot - happened to my Pixel 6P, when I used a laptop charger instead of a normal one.

Using a higher wattage charger may not necessarily make a lower wattage phone charge faster. The charging speed is primarily determined by the phone's maximum supported charging rate, and using a charger with a higher wattage won't exceed this limit.
The reason why fast charging can cause deterioration of battery life is primarily due to the heat that is generated when higher watt chargers are used. This is because most lithium ion batteries used by smartphones degrade over time with each charging cycle and the heat caused by fast charging has a sizable impact on this process.
I had a Xiaomi phone with 65W fast charging that I used for a year and half before noticing that the battery was draining significantly faster than when I bought it.

Back