Budget 90k+ 1440p Dual Monitor - Huge Storage/NAS ? - Gaming Build (Part by Part)

Please build two machines - one for gaming and another low power one for nas. It doesn't make sense to keep your gaming rig turned on 24/7 downloading stuff when the same can be achieved using a much lower power optimized machine.

Personally I use a b450 board with a 3200g and an LSI HBA card for the storage pc with 6x 10tb HDDs in raidz2. It's more than enough for everything. This box runs linux. Do note the LSI HBAs don't work properly in any modern windows version.

I did see some NAS oriented motherboard + mini ITX case etc.. but they seem to be too complicated for me.. atleast for now.
I use my laptop 24x7.. and IIRC , my current Sager 970M GPU laptop has been literally running non-stop for 3 years or so now.
I am planning to run my gaming system also 24x7 ..
Only very recently i have been putting the laptop on sleep at night..
Can you suggest a HDD less NAS oriented PC config ?I do prefer a mini ITX case.. i can hide away in a cupboard or something.

I did see some NAS oriented motherboard + mini ITX case etc.. but they seem to be too complicated for me.. atleast for now.
I use my laptop 24x7.. and IIRC , my current Sager 970M GPU laptop has been literally running non-stop for 3 years or so now.
I am planning to run my gaming system also 24x7 ..
Only very recently i have been putting the laptop on sleep at night..
Can you suggest a HDD less NAS oriented PC config ?I do prefer a mini ITX case.. i can hide away in a cupboard or something.

Any cheap board with an x8 PCI-e slot works since that is all the LSI HBA requires. I reused my old B450 gaming pro carbon but any a320/a520/H410 board will also be good enough.

Mini itx for a nas is a hard problem if you want expandability. The deal with running something like unraid or freenas is that ideally you'd want some redundancy for your pool.

So you need to have at least 4 drives while 6 is ideal since 50% of the storage is used for redundancy. Out of my 60 TB space on drives, actual amount of available space is only 38TB or so.

Hence a case that supports 6-8 drive bays is essential for future expandability.

Any cheap board with an x8 PCI-e slot works since that is all the LSI HBA requires. I reused my old B450 gaming pro carbon but any a320/a520/H410 board will also be good enough.

Mini itx for a nas is a hard problem if you want expandability. The deal with running something like unraid or freenas is that ideally you'd want some redundancy for your pool.

So you need to have at least 4 drives while 6 is ideal since 50% of the storage is used for redundancy. Out of my 60 TB space on drives, actual amount of available space is only 38TB or so.

Hence a case that supports 6-8 drive bays is essential for future expandability.
I need about max 6-8TB of redundancy only.. So i think 2x 6-8TB will do , rest i need for storage , mostly entertainment oriented.
I saw few mini itx case with support upto 8 drives.. wont that be enough ?
Will keep looking for those board in our forum itself.As of now my priority is for gaming machine.. since the integrated NAS is out of equation , i think i will choose a mobo with good features , rather than X HDD support. Still i think 2-4 HDD support + 1 NVME + 1 SSD shouldnt be a issue right ?

Also suggest on 1440p dual monitor setup.. will 3080/6800XT handle it ? or i should go for 1080p dual.. or single wide screen 1440p ?

I need about max 6-8TB of redundancy only.. So i think 2x 6-8TB will do , rest i need for storage , mostly entertainment oriented.
I saw few mini itx case with support upto 8 drives.. wont that be enough ?
Will keep looking for those board in our forum itself.As of now my priority is for gaming machine.. since the integrated NAS is out of equation , i think i will choose a mobo with good features , rather than X HDD support. Still i think 2-4 HDD support + 1 NVME + 1 SSD shouldnt be a issue right ?

Also suggest on 1440p dual monitor setup.. will 3080/6800XT handle it ? or i should go for 1080p dual.. or single wide screen 1440p ?

Any case which supports drives is enough.

As for monitor - get 1440p

Both builds are taking shape nicely
Thanks for many here for guiding me.
Also thanks in huge part for Classified section , i was able to get some good items from there for my builds.
Will post the video of my first boot of my gaming pc.. (not complete though)
One doubt though. I have MSI Tomahawk X570 board. Was about to get

G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (For AMD Ryzen) Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC

This seems little pricey.

Anyother RGB ram stick which will be compatible with a 240mm AIO for 4000D case ?

Last edited:
Almost after 1 and half year later , i was able to get the GPU..
sdf.jpg

NAS build complete.

huge thanks to
@Chaos His comment is the one which took me down this rabbit hole... :D
@Sammy22 for his NODE 804 Case.. Wonderful case ..
@demon1 for MOBO , RAM , PSU combo. I couldnt have as asked for a better deal. Wonderful friend too..
@rk17 for his 4650G CPU.. It was the best part of this build and also the heart. He guided me throughout the building process. Wonderful friend.
@buzz88 for his massive 6TB x 2 . Without this there is no point of NAS.. :D

Huge thanks to all and many others for this.
This is my first build after nearly 15 or so years..
This also sets as a primer for my Massive GAMING BUILD :D

Attachments

• IMG_6291.jpg
    IMG_6291.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6290.jpg
    IMG_6290.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6299.jpg
    IMG_6299.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
NAS build complete.

huge thanks to

@Sammy22 for his NODE 804 Case.. Wonderful case ..
@demon1 for MOBO , RAM , PSU combo. I couldnt have as asked for a better deal. Wonderful friend too..
@rk17 for his 4650G CPU.. It was the best part of this build and also the heart. He guided me throughout the building process. Wonderful friend.
@buzz88 for his massive 6TB x 2 . Without this there is no point of NAS.. :D

Huge thanks to all and many others for this.
This is my first build after nearly 15 or so years..
This also sets as a primer for my Massive GAMING BUILD :D
Congrats buddy!

The gaming Build is complete after almost 1.5 Years later this thread started...

Detail post and video will be posted in a weeks time ..(After my Brothers Marriage...)

Special thanks to @rk17 for his MSI Tomahawk X570 Motherboard. His help during my NAS build saved me hours during this gaming build.

Took almost 10+ hours to complete the build , add another 1-2 hours for OS install and tweaking.

5bSYYXU.jpg

Entire details will be updated soon..

Last edited:
Back