Budget 90k+ 1440p gaming build

1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Ryzen 1600 (first gen)
    • Motherboard - GigaByte AB350
    • GPU - MSI GTX 2060 6GB
    • RAM - 3 * 8 GB RAM (24 GB total)
    • Monitor - Samsung Odessey 34 inch
    • PSU - Seasonic 512W
    • SSD - 1.5 TB
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor
    • Not sure about other hardware. Please suggest which one I can keep
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • GPU - GTX 4070
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • This will be the final configuration
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Delhi (Nehru Place)
  7. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Watching HD movies
  8. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Want to buy products that have good RMA experience? Also prefers a good cabinet with RGB components for aesthetics.
  9. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Linear/Open world Single player games at high settings @ 1440p
  10. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 3,440 x 1,440
  11. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  12. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10/11

Last edited:
Can you try to find the model of motherboard cause if it's good you might not need to upgrade it and upgrade your CPU to something like a 5800X3D which should handle most modern GPUs pretty well.

As for the GPU itself you can choose between RTX 4070 or RX 6800XT. Both have great performance but different plus points. 4070 has good ray-tracing and other Nvidia specific features which you might want to use/are already using with your RTX 2060. The 6800XT has more VRAM. There is hot debate around VRAM right now. I think for 1440p gaming 12GB should be fine for now but will get more troublesome as more newer generation only games release. So having more is a safe bet in longer term.

Same is the thing with ray tracing I think. Many upcoming games might just use ray-tracing as the default lighting model which will benefit the 4070.

The 4070 also has DLSS 3 with framegen which I think is also a nice to have but the card is already pretty powerful so I don't know how much it will be useful. Still I would pay extra for it. AMD is said to launch a similar feature for it but we don't know when. Also you will most probably need to upgrade your PSU if you go for a 6800XT.

Also you could add another 8GB RAM stick to make it 32.

This is the motherboard I have. Can I use existing PSU if I decide to go with GTX 4070 ?
Your PSU is the Seasonic s12ii 520w? If yes, then it can run the RTX 4070 (with a power limit or undervolt though). I'd say <80w TDP CPUs are what you want to look at to upgrade, since I highly doubt that you're motherboard can handle higher power loads (due to VRM throttling). 5800X3D pulls around 90w while gaming and 110w at load, but this can be reduced with the PBO2 optimizer.

If you're budget is 1.25L, I'd recommend going for an RTX 4080, a 650w PSU and Ryzen 5 5600 or Ryzen 7 5700x. There will be a slight bottleneck on both CPUs, but there will be a negligible difference if you aim for RT or max sertings.

Or for something a bit cheaper, the RTX 4070 Ti and a Ryzen 7 5700x/5800x3d + a dual tower cooler.

I went ahead and got GTX 4070. 4070ti was 15k expensive and since I will be gaming very occasionally, I decided with 4070. Regarding the CPU, I want to get the latest one even if I have to upgrade my motherboard. The Motherboard I currently have is 6 years old so I am not sure how long it will last.

Also, this might be a dumb question, I tried installing the GTX 4070 on my existing rig but it looks like it is not going completely to the PCI slot of my motherboard. Not sure if I am doing anything wrong or if my motherboard is incompatible with the GPU.

This is the GPU I got

Make sure that the red latch on the PCIe slot is open before installing. It will automatically lock the GPU in position after placing it in. You may need more force for this.

A Ryzen 7 5700X or Ryzen 5 5600 is the easiest option to upgrade, since all you'll have to do is replace your current CPU with either of these CPUs. An upgrade to the latest CPU platform (Intel 13th Gen or Ryzen 7000) will net you max 10% performance uplift, and that would be in the more CPU demanding titles as well. So you'll have to take your call on the platform upgrade, since you'll be paying close to 35k for the platform overhaul, whereas a Ryzen 5 5600 would cost 13.5k.

AMD 7000 Series- https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/36b2277a-cc7a-490d-a6eb-384da310ed8a (5k lesser if you go with a single 16GB DDR5 stick)

Thankyou. Looking at your post, it makes much more sense to keep the existing motherboard and ram and only go for CPU upgrade. I was thinking of going with intel CPU + mother board so that I can use existing DDR4 ram that I have but that might also not be worth the added cost.

Also, this might be offtopic, but I am getting very low FPS and constant stutter with 4070 in `A Plague Tale: Requiem` with medium settings at resolution 3,440 x 1,440. I have installed latest nvidia drivers.

Edit-I think I messed up. The GPU that I bought has 12 pin connector which came with a 12-pin to 2 8-PIN adapter. I do have 2 8-pin PSU cables for GPU but those are part of the same single PSU cable. This might have messed up the power requirements needed for the GPU.

Last edited:
@DestGod @detonator22
I have bought most of the stuff like cabinet, GPU, etc. The only dilemma is to upgrade from Ryzen 1600 to Ryzen 5600 and keep the existing motherboard and ram or go all the way to AM5 7600 which is coming out to be 35k more overall which I am finding it to be a bit expensive. Will Ryzen 5600 hold good for 2k ultrawide gaming with GTX 4070?

@DestGod @detonator22
I have bought most of the stuff like cabinet, GPU, etc. The only dilemma is to upgrade from Ryzen 1600 to Ryzen 5600 and keep the existing motherboard and ram or go all the way to AM5 7600 which is coming out to be 35k more overall which I am finding it to be a bit expensive. Will Ryzen 5600 hold good for 2k ultrawide gaming with GTX 4070?
Yes, a 5600 is alright. 5700x and 5600 are basically the same for gaming, go for the 5700X if you will need those extra 2 cores over the 5600 for productivity tasks. I think its about 6-7k extra as well.

An RTX 4070 will bottleneck the Ryzen 5 5600 slightly, but since you're going the ultrawide route, the difference between the 5600 and 7600 will be lesser than what you see on benchmarks, since its more GPU dependent.
(5600X=5600, RTX 4070 < RTX 3090Ti, both in terms of performance)

Build this few months ago as per the suggestions. Thanks everyone

Attachments

• IMG_20230725_195654.jpg
    IMG_20230725_195654.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 52
Back