Budget 90k+ 15'' Laptop for multimedia usage

wecaz

Disciple
Current laptop is ~10 years old. It was an high end Dell XPS with beautiful screen quality, 8GB RAM, an Intel i7 CPU and nVidia GPU with 2GB video RAM. Dell kept replacing faulty parts until warranty expired 5 years ago. Money is being saved for new laptop for last few years. New purchase can be delayed for a few more months to stretch the budget, if needed. Current laptop is still manageable and refuse to die. It is slow, heavy and HDD is big bottleneck on performance. (Amazon offers 11k for exchange).

• What's your Budget?
    • 1L
  • What will be your primary usage for the notebook be?
    • Play HD/4K content. No gaming. No video editing.
    • Unsure about OLED screens due to burn-in issue.
    • Unsure about having 4K resolution in 15.6'' screen. Good to have.
  • What size and weight considerations do you have?
    • 15.6'' screen with excellent colour quality. Light-weight for portability.
  • Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest?
    • Dell because
      • Premium technical support up to 4 years (technician supports on call, on remote, and also visits home)
      • Accidental damage protection.
      • International warranty coverage.
    • Open to all brands if they provide similar service.
  • Any other considerations?
    • SSD for boot partition (at least). Preferably no mechanical HDD.
    • HDMI port (preferably) or a connector would do.
    • Prefer to keep the laptop for ~6-8 years. Higher specs are better so laptop remain usable for longer time to come. I get time to save money for another one. Not sure if it is a good strategy though.

Last edited:
Get an SSD for the current laptop if it works fine otherwise, make the decision to upgrade after you've used it for a while. 4k is way too much for 15-inch screens unless you have a very specific use-case (usually some sort of content creation). Good OLED laptops are going to be 1.5L plus and I don't really think they're worth the premium over a good IPS display.

I am in a similar position like you, will check 2021 laptop models with OLED screens as Samsung has announced new lineup of 15 and 16 inch OLED display supply to various OEMS. If nothing good comes around then I will get the 2021 LG Gram 16 with that excellent 2k screen with 99 percent DCI P3 gamut. So, need to wait a few months for 2021 laptops to be announced and then launched.

lg gram 17 , asus zenbook flip (13 inch oled screen) , Microsoft surface laptop 3 , hp envy 15, hp spectre (13.3 inch), macbook m1(13 inch) . You can even get the ipad pro 12.9 , it has a great screen, plenty powerful and portable for your usage, and will last 5 years. Also explore Chromebook options with intel processor. They are light, have 5 years software support, good display and keyboard, excellent battery life.

Back