Budget 0-20k 15K to upgrade my PC.

I know there are some threads like this, I have gone through some of them, but still unable to make up my mind.

I'm looking forward to upgrade my PC(motherboard and processor only), and my budget is 15K.

My current configuration is:
2*2 GB DDR 2 RAM
HD 5670 1 GB
Corsair CX 400W
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93 GHz
Asus P5KPL-AM-PS motherboard

Purpose of upgrade: HD Movies but mostly playing latest games like Battlefield 4, Watchdogs, etc.

I'm thinking about going for Intel Core i5 3450 @ 10.5K and GIGABYTE-B75-D3H @ 4.5K. How are these two?

Thanks in advance.

RAMS you are having are DDR2 and no current mobo supports them. So you have to upgrade Processor + Motherboard + RAM.

Purpose of upgrade: HD Movies but mostly playing latest games like Battlefield 4, Watchdogs, etc.

A better GPU is what you would need instead of a better processor. That processor isn't bottlenecking the GPU. Isn't this GPU letting you play HD movies properly?

What display do you have? Or what resolution do you game at?

I'm thinking about going for Intel Core i5 3450 @ 10.5K and GIGABYTE-B75-D3H @ 4.5K. How are these two?

Thanks in advance.

If you are going by this combo, you'll definitely need DDR3 RAM, for 4GB Corsair vengance will cost 2k more.
If you are wanting to upgrade for gaming, then go for AMD FX setup. Like AMD Six core FX 6100 costing around rs. 6800, along with AM3+ chipset like Gigabyte GA990-XA-ud3 at rs. 10222 on flipkart or Biostar TA990XE at rs. 8769 at techshop.in or from ASUS etc. Then you won't have jitters in HD movie or while gaming. And here also DDr3 RAM required. Approx budget you will need would be around 17k to 20k depending on your choice of mobo and RAM either 4GB or 8GB.

RAMS you are having are DDR2 and no current mobo supports them. So you have to upgrade Processor + Motherboard + RAM.
Oh yea, right. Will be buying these three then: Intel Core i5 3450 @ 11K, GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H @ 4.5K and Corsair Vengeance 4GB x2 @ 3.2K. So yea, it seems like I've to extend my budget to 19K.

A better GPU is what you would need instead of a better processor. That processor isn't bottlenecking the GPU. Isn't this GPU letting you play HD movies properly?
What display do you have? Or what resolution do you game at?
If you are going by this combo, you'll definitely need DDR3 RAM, for 4GB Corsair vengance will cost 2k more.
No no, I can play HD movies smoothly without any jitters whatsoever. I am just looking for upgrading my parts anyway.
I've LG Flatron W2043T monitor and I game at 1280x720 resolution at the moment.

I'm extending my budget to 19K. I'm going with Intel Core i5 3450 + GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H + Corsair Vengeance 4GB x2. Is this okay?

If you are wanting to upgrade for gaming, then go for AMD FX setup. Like AMD Six core FX 6100 costing around rs. 6800, along with AM3+ chipset like Gigabyte GA990-XA-ud3 at rs. 10222 on flipkart or Biostar TA990XE at rs. 8769 at techshop.in or from ASUS etc. Then you won't have jitters in HD movie or while gaming. And here also DDr3 RAM required. Approx budget you will need would be around 17k to 20k depending on your choice of mobo and RAM either 4GB or 8GB.
Sorry, forgot to add that this is my cousin brother PC, and he doesn't want to go for AMD setup.

I'm extending my budget to 19K. I'm going with Intel Core i5 3450 + GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H + Corsair Vengeance 4GB x2. Is this okay?

I don't suppose you followed what I said.

Suppose your present setup gave you say, 30 fps in a game. With this new upgrade, you may get at the most 34-35 fps. Do you see any worthwhile difference in the framerate to call this as an upgrade? The component you need to change is your GPU more than anything else here.

Of course, if your cousin brother intends to change the whole setup, that would be his call but understand that this is NOT going to improve your gameplay experience by a great leap. If he needs to, he has to change the GPU.

Thanks in advance.

Dude, think again on the purpose of upgrade. Changing whole system except GPU will never ever improve your gaming experience.
You can play games smoothly on G2010 CPU + HD7750/GTX650 than i5+HD5670. Because in gaming, GPU is playing crucial role than CPU. And you will also save money by upgrading GPU (10k-14k) rather than spending 19k.

Give a thought what @Gannu said, instead of throwing money and get nothing in return. Finally its your (or your cousin) choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Core i5 3450 has HD 2500 which might perform worse than his hd 5xxx card.
Better to put that 15k in a new nvidia card which is compatible with his mobo.

Core i5 3450 has HD 2500 which might perform worse than his hd 5xxx card.

I think the 5670 1GB card might be retained with the new system. :p

There is another problem I foresee - that power supply! Not the best entry level power supply for a mid-range GPU.

@cranky - can you please give some inputs in the thread. TIA.

I think the 5670 1GB card might be retained with the new system. :p

There is another problem I foresee - that power supply! Not the best entry level power supply for a mid-range GPU.

@cranky - can you please give some inputs in the thread. TIA.
Even if he keeps the old card, how exactly can it be called an upgrade if he's still using the old gpu to play games? In such a scenario of old gpu+ new CPU will he get the gains he's looking for? Granted he playing at 720p resolution or lower, but I don't see any difference in his old or new config wrt gaming performance. I don't game, but I'm sure gpu is the part he should be upgrading.

If he still goes ahead with the new components, most probably he will need to get a 7 or 8 series radeon card in future.

Looks like yes. But again changing GPU and PSU is better option in same cost than changing CPU+Mobo+RAM.

Correct me if am wrong here. Suppose if he goes for a high-end GPU (as far as my understanding all gaming and video work is handled by GPU), then his low-end CPU won't create a bottleneck as would be the case with high-end CPU and low-end GPU(what he presently wants to keep). Isn't it!!

Correct me if am wrong here. Suppose if he goes for a high-end GPU (as far as my understanding all gaming and video work is handled by GPU), then his low-end CPU won't create a bottleneck as would be the case with high-end CPU and low-end GPU(what he presently wants to keep). Isn't it!!

High-end GPU - yes. We are talking of those priced at 25k and above types. Otherwise that processor is pretty decent (more so if even overclocked with a good air-cooler; the E7500 can easily do 3.5-3.6 GHz). A majority of the titles still use the good old UE 3.0 which can work just fine with a dual-core processor. The more demanding ones are Crysis 3, Metro: Last Light types - few and far between.

CPU won't create a bottleneck

A bottleneck is the poorest performing component in the system.

By definition therefore, no system is free of a bottleneck, even if you spend say 8 lakhs on your rig.

In this specific case, the TS has asked for an increase in gaming performance.

Had he wanted to do lots of video encoding work instead, a CPU upgrade to a Ivy Bridge or Haswell would have been recommended, primarily for Quick Sync. Had he wanted performance for multi-threaded rendering software, we would have recommended the AMD Piledriver solution.

However, none of these approaches will help in gaming, as a matter of fact none of these will even feel like an upgrade at all unless the specific application is used. The only thing that limits gaming performance in this particular rig is the low-end GPU, and that is where the upgrade is needed.

It may not have a glamour of the new Intel shiznit, but that is what marketing is unfortunately. It obscures the truth.

Woho. Thanks for the replies. These sure clear up a lot of doubts.

So, I'm going with ATI Radeon HD 7790 1 GB GDDR5 @ 10.9K and Seasonic S12II 520 Watts PSU @ 4.5K.
Will be retaining my E7500, DDR 2 RAM and P5KPL-AM-PS motherboard to use with above components. And selling off my HD 5670 1 GB and Corsair CX 400W PSU.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Hey bro seasonic 520 is cheaper on snapdeal....saw it for 4k..check snapdeal....and see if they can deliver to ur pincode....u would be able to save few bucks

I don't see the point of changing the GPU right now, unless he's changing the monitor as well. A 5670 should be able to handle most games at mid-high settings @ 1280*720.
A motherboard+CPU upgrade for now would be a good partial upgrade. If he gets a quad core + 8GB RAM, he'll have a smoother computing experience, and a good base to build on once he decides to upgrade his monitor.

Back