PC Peripherals 16AMP Power cord Or 10AMP power cord for PC and monitor?

Hi guys. Please clear my confusion. I have observed that many monitors and PSUs these days are coming with the big 16AMP power cord.
I have 2 rigs. One with a intel 13700k, 3080Ti FE, Viewsonic XG431 monitor and a Corsair HX 1500i platinum PSU. This rig is connected to my APC SRV2KL-IN UPS with two 16amp-6amp 3 pin adapters via the same 16amp power cords that came with the PSU and Monitor. I havnt had any issue with this machine.

Now my 2nd brandnew rig is having the AMD 7800X3D, Sapphire Nitro+ 7800XT, Viewsonic XG2431 monitor and a Asus Rog Loki 1000W platinum PSU connected to my APC BR1500G-IN UPS with two 16amp-6amp 3 pin adapters via the same 16amp power cords that came with the PSU and Monitor.
So what i want to know is that is it ok if I use a standard 10AMP power cord for both these rigs? Because connecting the 16amp power cords with the 16AMP to 6AMP 3 pin adapter behind the UPS takes too much space and the contact is not always firmly secured with the 16AMP to 6AMP 3 pin adapter. Also for some strange reason my 7800X3D rig shutdown by itself when I launched a game, however i wasn't able to replicate the issue when I used a normal 10amp power cord attached to the bigger APC SRV2KL-IN UPS and so far the system is rock solid stable even after running some cinebench tests and games. My electrician also checked for any possible earthing issues but there seems to be no such problem.
Would appreciate some valuable feedback.

(edit to actually answer your question)

Manufacturers use 16A plugs here in India because wiring in most houses/flats don't skimp on the gauge of the wiring for 16A sockets. If your wiring is up to standard then you can safely use 6A wires and sockets for loads up to 1200W or so. Seeing that you're plugging into the back of your UPS, this is a moot point.

It's preferable to use high quality power cables than to use a 16A plug adapter. If you have a good quality 10A one, it's perfectly fine to use that. Even better, have an electrician chop off the 16A plug and wire in a good quality 10A/6A plug. I like these transparent ones by Anchor:

I've personally standardized on UK plugs because they have built-in fuses.

Now my 2nd brandnew rig is having the AMD 7800X3D, Sapphire Nitro+ 7800XT, Viewsonic XG2431 monitor and a Asus Rog Loki 1000W platinum PSU connected to my APC BR1500G-IN UPS
Also for some strange reason my 7800X3D rig shutdown by itself when I launched a game

That UPS has a continuous power rating of 865W, it's likely a surge/transient spike during the game's load triggered the overcurrent protection in either the power supply or UPS or both which caused the system to shut down. If the UPS beeped, then it was the UPS, otherwise it was the power supply. It doesn't necessarily mean it's not a good power supply, it's just our electricity supply isn't very clean in India. The transient surge from the graphics card coupled with whatever was happening on the other side of the UPS with the electricity supply triggered the shutdown.

APC SRV2KL-IN
APC BR1500G-IN

The two of your UPS's are similar in brand and basically nothing else. The first one is an enterprise grade online UPS that does complete power filtering and conditioning, it's pretty much the gold standard and you don't even need a stabilizer or surge protector if you're using that. The second one is high end enthusiast grade one that does need a stabilizer and a surge protector.

Last edited:
If you're anyway using a 6A/10A socket with an adapter, then how does it matter of your power cable is 10A or 16A?

Just use a 10A power cable, they are safer than those 6A to 16A adapters. And also don't introduce additional points of failure.

Back