Monitors 17" LCD decision time

Vandal

Skilled
OK sorted through everything.. It seems there are 2 LCD's that fit my bill err wallet. The LG 1720B and the Samsung 740N, now both websites couldn't gimme much tech info about these. Anywhere I can pick up the behind the scenes specs?? The LG is costlier and I like the Samsung's bezel, but that's not really a clinching decision.. suggestions and links would be appreciated... c'mon guys help!! :)

Aditya said:
The Samsung 740N.

The Stupid LG is not even comparable.

(Ok, Im a LG Hater, you guessed it :p)
abey GF this doesn't help, help with the decision yaar..sala LG pe gussa yaha nikalta hei :bleh: , c'mon tech specs and links, my first try for personal use @ LCD's so not sure.

S-IPS = 8bit panel which means way better color reproduction than the samsung which is a 6bit TN. So no question whatsoever, get the LG

LG looks to be 8bit pannel.

Try to see if LG L1732TQ is available here or not.

Seen this with one of the co-workers and was great display.

The contrast ratio of L1732TQ is not matched by any in this class.

Chaos said:
S-IPS = 8bit panel which means way better color reproduction than the samsung which is a 6bit TN. So no question whatsoever, get the LG
OK but what about the 16 ms response time, I would be using this for movies and gaming mostly, with a lil office work on weekends mostly..

16ms is way too high ....

anyth over 8ms is avoidable for gaming n movies

if u r gng to do graphic design work and 3d lighting the 8 bit panel will show its mettle...not otherwise..

OMG 16ms def not for gaming unless u want matrix type effect every now n then lol..

Edit: I didnt know what chaos said below...:ashamed:

Smith said:
but the response time is twice @ 16ms. Will that result in ghosting while gaming and watchin movies? :S
To compare IPS and TN response times, divide the IPS response time by 3 and you'll get the equivalent TN response time. A 6ms IPS is faster than a 2ms TN. This is cos IPS response times are always mentioned in white-black-white terms whereas TN panel makers inflate their timings and measure using g2g.

Edit: As proof, my 2005FPW is a 16ms S-IPS panel. Ask the TE members who visited my place if they saw even a single streak of ghosting on it.

Chaos said:
To compare IPS and TN response times, divide the IPS response time by 3 and you'll get the equivalent TN response time. A 6ms IPS is faster than a 2ms TN. This is cos IPS response times are always mentioned in white-black-white terms whereas TN panel makers inflate their timings and measure using g2g.

Edit: As proof, my 2005FPW is a 16ms S-IPS panel. Ask the TE members who visited my place if they saw even a single streak of ghosting on it.
No need for proof chaos.. now is the contrast ratio of an S IPS the same or better than a TN panel? I read up a bit on wiki... and just wanted to confirm this... confirm please..

OMG if its S-IPS i'm buying it within some days no look back :p.
Vandy > if ur comparing S-IPS with any MVP or Tn's then dont cuz i've seen chaos lcd it looks better than crt :p.
Edit: @ chaos how can i make sure its S-IPS dada? :p by the 160/160 viewing angle?
also does response times has anything to do with the monitor size as chaos's one is 20.1 inch and if its 16 ms a 17 inch really i think shud be 8 but anyways wud check this personally i guess.

@vandal : that LG might very well be one of the last 17" S-IPS based displays....so, I dont think there's much to think about...

@Chaos : I'm confused here...I thought 2005 was 12ms....or is it 16ms ?

my monitor is 25ms and i hardly notice any ghosting in games or movies and you guys are complaining about 16ms :p give it a week and you ll get used to it ..

m1n0r said:
@vandal : that LG might very well be one of the last 17" S-IPS based displays....so, I dont think there's much to think about...
@Chaos : I'm confused here...I thought 2005 was 12ms....or is it 16ms ?
Dell rates it as 12ms but the panel is originally rated by LG Philips at 16ms. Dunno which is true though... the apple cinema display is rated at 16ms as well with the same panel. Maybe dell is doing some voodoo :p.

Back