Monitors 17" LCD decision time

x86 said:
I wanna know y it is the last ips panel? @ minor.
and here are some useful links regarding lg :(
AnandTech - LG L1920PQ

well well down the line vandal whats the cost of this damn thing? :p
yeah minor what's that mean.. one of the last...................???
Didn't get you...
And availaibility does seem to be a bit of a problem..

@ x86 & vandal : what I said is "one of the last 17" S-IPS based displays"...I'm saying that from personal experience...
I did not find ne 17" s-ips based displays... when I wuz looking for one.
& manufacturers like Dell (who at one point of time used mostly s-ips panels) have jumped to TN panels too...

there is a 8bit samsung (not sure if its sips or pva/mva) with 1500:1 contrast ratio & costs 25k+ iirc...which is absolutely not worth it.....

hope that made some sense.

It seems the LG is an older model, though still in production. And it only has analog input, though that shouldn't be a big problem.

m1n0r said:
@ x86 & vandal : what I said is "one of the last 17" S-IPS based displays"...I'm saying that from personal experience...
I did not find ne 17" s-ips based displays... when I wuz looking for one.
& manufacturers like Dell (who at one point of time used mostly s-ips panels) have jumped to TN panels too...

there is a 8bit samsung (not sure if its sips or pva/mva) with 1500:1 contrast ratio & costs 25k+ iirc...which is absolutely not worth it.....

hope that made some sense.
Well for once it did... yep udit's right again :p its the 770P, not worth 25K by any stretch..

^ Yep, its supposedly a 2003~2004 model - surprising how its showing up in India only now! :p

And yes, another downer that it has only an analog input. This is not bad though, most analog inputs if well done can match up to their DVI counterparts.

Chaos said:
Dell rates it as 12ms but the panel is originally rated by LG Philips at 16ms.

Even though the panel may be the same, its upto the manufacturer in their implementation of the circuitry that drives the panel. Dell apparently use 'overdrive' in their circuitry to lower the response time down to 12ms. Apple's Cinema display for example uses the same S-IPS panels as the Dell model, but the response times are very poor - proving the point that its not just the panel but the circuitry as well that adds up to the overall performance of an LCD.

The LG panel is listed on the online LG EZBuy site:

LG Electronics

However, weirdly the specs at the online site mention it as 16.2M colors.

This is pretty ****ed up when its the panel now its circuit so i guess one experienced use have ro exclusively review it to find the goods and bads of the lg . i'll buy only after vandy buys and makes a review or i see it myself :p.
it seems like thers no good lcd solution in indian market that can give u a good sleep without spilling out some real $$$.

hunt3r said:
Vandy, whats the price of the LG monitor?

total f### up :mad: now I'm told there was a fukk** mistake it wasn't the 1720B but the 1730S that is available

Though the dealer claims that the model is in stock (back stock I presume) and will let me know about the 1720B in 3 days, due Tuesday...

Now what sort of panel is this? the 1730S I mean, any suggestions?

Looks like I wait for 3-4 days and after that if nothing happens then 740N it is..

vandal said:
total f### up :mad: now I'm told there was a fukk** mistake it wasn't the 1720B but the 1730S that is available

Though the dealer claims that the model is in stock (back stock I presume) and will let me know about the 1720B in 3 days, due Tuesday...

Now what sort of panel is this? the 1730S I mean, any suggestions?
Looks like I wait for 3-4 days and after that if nothing happens then 740N it is..

The LG Flatron L1730S is a TN panel.
PRAD.de | List Manufacturer of TFT-Displays

71E+ is for 14.5k range. Seen it personally. Very good monitor for its price. But make sure you only use it with DVI.

Dsub display purely sucks on 71E+

Funky_no2 said:
71E+ is for 14.5k range. Seen it personally. Very good monitor for its price. But make sure you only use it with DVI.
Dsub display purely sucks on 71E+
Yes but I need a comparison and I haven't been able to find one.... any links please...

OK guys, going to lammy tomorrow
Now the LG 1720B may be available or not, the dealer hasn't confirmed and I cannot wait any longer.
The options that he has confirmed are
the samsung 740N, Benq 71e+, LG 1730S... All these are within my budget. In case I don't get the 1720B, which would be second best here?

I want this for gaming and movies (mentioned before). Are there any comparison links for these displays?

HELP!!

Feature wise there are a few differences. The samsung has a higher contrast ratio and a higher viewing angle compared to benq. However it only has an analog connection and no dvi. Regarding pi quality it is finally upto you.Regarding lg I found a model called 1730sm. Again onlya low 250cd/m2.Less viewing angle. If you want dvi have to go for benq or lg else in my opinion samsung models are better.:hap2: Happy buying.

Back