Monitors 17" LCD monitor for Gaming/Entertainment

Striker10

Skilled
Hi ,
I currently have Samsung Syncmaster 773S which is a 17" CRT capable of running at 1024x768 max. of 85 hertz but 1280x1024 only on 60hz . while this is common for most of the 17" CRT monitors , I am looking to game at 1280x1024 resolution at 75+ hz .
I had visited my friends place some day and he , at that time , bought a new lcd flatron 15" monitor and I immediately liked the clarity of the lcd technology . I have come across ViewSonic VA712 . Should I get this ?? any other recommendations ?? is DVI worth dying for since I have heard it makes overall image quality sharper . something to soothe my eyes ( lol ! ) ... I dont want to compromise on refresh rate , I would rather hold on to my present monitor since it provides 85hertz but lcd is soooooo pleasing .....

thanks ..
a list of lcd monitors and their prices would be appreciated!!

EDIT: I remember Chaos had once mentioned the VA series from ViewSonic sucks because it comes with 8bit TN panel ( I dont know what this means to colour reproduction ) so, what about the VX712 ??

I got a 17" Samsung 740N with free printer scheme... If you dont mind a little bit of ghosting(Little i mean really little cause i play too much CSS and half of my friends didnt notice any ghosting... I on the other hand do notice some...) GO FOR IT... Got it for 13700 + an additional for the free printer...

Go to nwegg and read some reiews....

Switch said:
I got a 17" Samsung 740N with free printer scheme... If you dont mind a little bit of ghosting(Little i mean really little cause i play too much CSS and half of my friends didnt notice any ghosting... I on the other hand do notice some...) GO FOR IT... Got it for 13700 + an additional for the free printer...

Go to nwegg and read some reiews....
hmm... it doesnt support DVI . only analog RGB input . I think you got that laser printer? I dont want to get a monitor from Samsung just to avail the free printer offer .. *edit* is ghosting damaging to the eyes? */edit*

U can get CRT's which can do 1280X1024 @ 85 Hz, but there are only two models and availability is an issue. One is the Acer AF715, it does 1280X1024@85 Hz and can even do 1600X1200@75Hz. Another is the Viewsonic G76(ask udit for more info on this) and it has the same specs. So if u wanna go for a CRT u can go with these. LCD i think the Samsung 770P is to be out soon. No-one seems sure on its pricing though. But it seems to be the best 17" LCD.

broar94 said:
hmm... it doesnt support DVI . only analog RGB input . I think you got that laser printer? I dont want to get a monitor from Samsung just to avail the free printer offer .. *edit* is ghosting damaging to the eyes? */edit*
I dont think so...

I am also looking out for an 17" LCD.

I most prolly wont go with the Samsung offer cos I dont want the printer and obtaining the printer and stuff is a big hassle.

I remember eazy posting about LG offering some goodies with their monitor, is that monitor any good??

Budget is around 15K Max.

Main Use is Gaming/Browsing/Movies/Multimedia..

Awaiting Suggestions from the gurus here :).

Darthcoder said:
I remember eazy posting about LG offering some goodies with their monitor, is that monitor any good??

Budget is around 15K Max.
Main Use is Gaming/Browsing/Movies/Multimedia..

Awaiting Suggestions from the gurus here :).

The LG LCD looks decent. They offer a microwave over/shoes/MFD. The MFD is the only worthwhile freebie to get. Not sure how good the printer/scanner is though.

Raghu.

are they any Viewsonic or the likes available in this 15k price range that is better than this Samsung or is this Samsung the best deal in that price range?

in other words, what is the next best lcd after this Samsung 740N.

Udit and other LCD Gurus..U gotta help me..

Am not into the offer but if there's a monitor that is even 1/2K costlier than 740N and better I wouldnt mind buying it..

Please suggest me the best LCD Monitor for around 14K.

Thanks,

DC.

Darthcoder said:
Udit and other LCD Gurus..U gotta help me..
Am not into the offer but if there's a monitor that is even 1/2K costlier than 740N and better I wouldnt mind buying it..

Please suggest me the best LCD Monitor for around 14K.
Thanks,
DC.

The Samsung 740N is the best LCD in a 15K Budget.

Viewsonic is not good below 15K.

Every LG LCD Sucks in India.

The three Viewsonic's VX724, VP720b & VP730b which defeat the Samsung 740N cost more than 18K and will be available in Mid April.

this is what Darky recommended, looks great from the specs

CMV CT-730D

please google the link as i am having some problems with my windoze and copy pasting not working, lol

udit-130286 said:
The Samsung 740N is the best LCD in a 15K Budget.

Hey you sure ?
I have this LCD, CMV CT-730D nice lil LCD.has D-Sub,DVI,17" 3 yrs warranty,16.2 Million colours.

I think its good enough.;)

http://www.cmv.com.tw/en/product.asp?pid={A6EA97EA-FE78-4C70-BEA7-11A78C011FFA}

and go there for further spces guys.

Darklord said:
Hey you sure ?
I have this LCD, CMV CT-730D nice lil LCD.has D-Sub,DVI,17" 3 yrs warranty,16.2 Million colours.

I think its good enough.;)

yea, from the specs it looks great

and Eazy, Samsung site has 740N listed as 16.2 M and a-SI Panel

and the CMV has 16.2 M colors but i am not too sure about the panel, can some one compare these and let me know which one to go for, this is actually for Darthcoder

at the moment am tilting towards CMV because it has DVI, perhaps someone can compare the panels as well and strengthen my decession lol..

Well AFAIK Darky himself said CMV sucks with DVI and the response time of this and Samsung is just about the same so i would suggest to go in for samsung anyday over CMV for two reasones...

Better Warrenty Support

And not to forget FREE Printer

I have been using this for almost 3 days now and the ghosting which i stated has almost vanished with a simple tweak suggested by another friend who is also using a LCD... The V-Sync Teak... Enabling it in Counter Strike the ghosting is almost absent... Remember even a 2ms LCD will ghost but practically if you unable to see ghosting on a 2ms LCD then you wont be able to notice it on a 8ms... They say 2=3=4=6=8ms when it comes to ghosting... I know lots of you will not agree on this but you gotta try it yourself...

When i went out to buy this LCD i had taken my CPU to the shop and tested the LCD on games which i usually play... It is only after that i got this LCD... Ya seems weired but it worked...

I would say this again go to newegg and read some reviews on this LCD... The LG has even bad response timings 12ms... Hope this helped...

P.S. I will try to post a mini review of this LCD in the evening :)...

Rave said:
this is what Darky recommended, looks great from the specs
CMV CT-730D

please google the link as i am having some problems with my windoze and copy pasting not working, lol

Samsung 740N is better than CMV CT730D as Samsung 740N has 600:1 Contrast Ratio.

Just the brightness of CMV CT730D is better.

somethings i compared between CMV CT-730 and Samsung 740N :

Contast Ratio :
CMV - 500:1
SS - 600:1

Brightness :
CMV - 400 cd/m2
SS - 300 cd/m2

Power Consumption :
CMV - 51 Watts ...:no:
SS - 34 Watts

Response Time, Resolution, Pixel Pitch are the same in both.

so which is better guys ... links for specs of both models are as follows :

http://www.samsung.com/in/products/monitors/tftlcdmonitors/740n.asp?page=Specifications
http://www.cmv.com.tw/en/product.asp?pid={A6EA97EA-FE78-4C70-BEA7-11A78C011FFA}

Back