Storage Solutions 1TB external HDD or DVD

There can be no guarantee for HDD. It might work for 6-7 yrs. (like me) without any problems or it might fail 2 times in 3 yrs. (like 2 of my friends). This happened with both Samsung and Seagate HDDs. So if you want to have at least guarantee for the data you want to archive go for DVDs.

The ones of Verbatim are really good ones for good data backup. Another one will be Imation.

Mephistopheles said:
Which brand is the best when it comes to longer life of the HDD?
Lower capacity drives are fine. But the 1TB+ drives have lots of premature failure rates. Imagine losing 1TB of data. Yikes.

Its better to keep a 1:1 backup off all data that ones needs. HDD prices have fallen considerably and ones values their data they should have redundant copies of it then.

ravi_9793 said:
I was also in same situation, and I went for WD my Book 1 TB hard disk.
There is a good offer on eBay:
eBay India: Western Digital 1TB Essential External Hard Drive (item 250697368505 end time 22-Sep-2010 21:03:50 IST)

OT: Curses I bought the same thing for Rs.3900/- bucks on Saturday from Prime :( but it is worth it :)

@OP: I would suggest you to get an external drive because you have mentioned that you don't wish to retain your movies or animes over a long period of time but, just till you watch it once or twice if you really like it. Even if you get a large number of movies or anime you have enough space to store and watch them on a later date.

I suggest that you go in for the HDD.Your data requirement will keep on increasing and you will keep on buying more and more dvds,might as well buy a 2 TB HDD or 2 X 1 TB's so as to have greater memory storage.I would suggest that you purchase a Western Digital since I have been using it for 3 years now and no probs watsoever with it.I had tried samsung,but it failed within 2 weeks,I rma'd the same and tht also failed within a week.After that I learnt my mistake and bought Seagate.

Atleast with HDD's you can save Blueray movies and HD movie,you cant say the same with DVD's

jrego5 said:
I suggest that you go in for the HDD.Your data requirement will keep on increasing and you will keep on buying more and more dvds,might as well buy a 2 TB HDD or 2 X 1 TB's so as to have greater memory storage.I would suggest that you purchase a Western Digital since I have been using it for 3 years now and no probs watsoever with it.I had tried samsung,but it failed within 2 weeks,I rma'd the same and tht also failed within a week.After that I learnt my mistake and bought Seagate.

Atleast with HDD's you can save Blueray movies and HD movie,you cant say the same with DVD's
That is the problem, the max I can write on a DVD is 8GB whereas I have 10Gb+ sized movies etc. as well.

I think I should go for an internal HDD (Will it make any difference whether external or internal on how long it will keep my data secured? :ashamed:)

jrego5 said:
I

only if you have good internet connection as single blueray good quality will be 10+GB Sorry i don't download that much just for movie . only blueray movie have downloaded is Final Fantasy 7 Advent children . i won't write on DVD as i watch it many times .

RS4 said:
@swastikrj: i thought dvd's are better for storing movies etc as you wont lose your entire collection if one or two dvds out of 100 pack fail whereas with hard disks you lose your entire collection at once, can you give any reasons as to why an external hdd and not dvds?
Dvds unused for a long time, do not always work. My experience. so if there s hardly any choice, then why not opt for convenience of the hdd along with a raid setup?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Mephistopheles said:
That is the problem, the max I can write on a DVD is 8GB whereas I have 10Gb+ sized movies etc. as well.

I think I should go for an internal HDD (Will it make any difference whether external or internal on how long it will keep my data secured? :ashamed:)
Ofcourse internal lasts much much longer. The prob in externals is the controller which pops due to spikes in the line current. The other dirty solution, is to take a low end but matching mobo processor combo, with a case which has maximum slots, 500 watts pure power, and keep adding 2tb internal drives as and when you use up space. This works out cheapest in the long run. But be careful, all low end mobo and pro combos dont recognise 2 tb hdds, so check on the net which ones will recognise, can also check with you vendor.

Then why don't you buy 2 1TB ext drives and transfer your data to both.Sure HDDs can fail any time but the chances of both failing simultaneously are rare.

Back