Audio 2.0 Speakers: Active Bookshelves Or Passive BS + Amp

AnkushT

Disciple
Hey guys,

was thinking of buying a 2.0 speaker setup for me PC. mostly to be used for listening to music + odd gaming (not interested in directional sound, don't play FPS anyway) + Movies (once in a while, mostly watch movies on the TV screen)

so here's the thing, i'd thought of buying a pair of M-Audio AV40 for around 10k, but then got sucked into the upgrade path. the budget now is 20k. please suggest what would be a good thing to buy

1. M-Audio Bx5a
  2. Yamaha S50M
  3. Norge 2060 + Wharfdale 9.1/2

I usually listen to classic rock. Also can fool around with a guitar :)

Suggestions?

I would have gone for:

Norge 2060 + Wharfdale 9.1/2 or Norge 2060 + Norge Millenium Speakers.

You can also go for Norge Millenium speakers. Costs at aoround Rs.12,500 inclusive of taxes. Excellent bookshelves and makes great pairing with Norge 2060. The combo will cost you around 20K.

I have heard the Bx5a, just didn't like their sound. AE5 are good but the Norge combo is a super VFM & have excellent SQ.

You need a nearfield speaker looking at the fact that you'd be sitting very close to the computer. Look at powered monitors. An interesting option is the Aktimate Mini. You'd also get the KRK Rokit series for around 20 grand. You can also look the the entry level Adam Audio monitors. The audio engine suggested above can be a fall back option.

thanks for the inputs guys...but yeah, as Chaos pointed out, i am gonna do near field listening mostly :)

how expensive are those Adams?

Depends on what you want as well. I auditioned the KRK RP5, RP6, Bx5A and the HS50M (along with others). I went with the HS50M, they sounded the 'cleanest' to me, which I was looking for.

The RP5 and RP6 definitely had more bass (though I personally wouldn't classify that as better bass), but that might be what you are looking for.

Let me find the short impressions I had put up for some active monitors.

Edit: Found them.

http://www.techenclave.com/audio-zone/udac-2-vs-x-fi-hd-184767.html#post1738672

http://www.techenclave.com/audio-zone/udac-2-vs-x-fi-hd-184767.html#post1739309

Back