Linux 2.6.37 rocks!!

archish

Skilled
Just installed 2.6.37 final kernel on my lucid system last night, all I can say is it butter smooth experience, system feels more responsive/snappier than earlier :hap2:

Anyone updated the kernel in their distro?

Cant wait what 38 release brings in :p

BTW here is the change log for those who are interested: http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_37

When you say "snappier" which apps/UI (disk IO?) are you talking about?

Must be the "support for per-cgroup IO throttling" or that famous "200-line" interactivity patch at work?

I will wait for Natty Alpha 2 next month before moving on from my current stable Maverick install :)

the apps seems to load little fast and the firefox page loading is faster (not sure how). Overall the application switching and desktop responsiveness is butter smooth...

If you are on lucid add the kernel-ppa and update :D unless you have some really bad binary blob due to which you cannot upgrade...

^is it available from normal updates or do I've to get it through by ppa(i'm on Ubuntu 10.10, with kernel 2.6.35)

there's nothing on this in my update manager

zapout said:
^is it available from normal updates or do I've to get it through by ppa(i'm on Ubuntu 10.10, with kernel 2.6.35)

there's nothing on this in my update manager
For lucid its available via ppa (kernel-ppa), maveric need to search as its not a LTS so I doubt there will be any ppa by ubuntu team for kernel alone.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ujjwal said:
Any idea what changes caused the improvement?
Check the changelog there are list of tiny tiny changes which may give better performance.

EDIT: On the downside my suspend is not working properly :mad:

Back