Storage Solutions 2 TB internal HDD suggestion for my PC. (archive and storing movies)

Futureized

Skilled
Selected few options as here, please suggest which is best. Will be used as archive and for storing movies, movies will be accessed daily via Vlc on TV.

I am not sure if i require 5400 or 7200 rpm
Not sure about cache as well.
Kindly help.

Kindly suggest any other option if better then above.

Thanks.

External portable 2.5" is better for your use. If you are only going to watch movies on TV then 5400 rpm drive is better since it is cooler and quieter than 7400rpm drives. Plus the portable drives work on usb 3 power.

There was a Toshiba 4tb usb 3 drive available on FK for 6999. Price to storage wise it was the best deal. I only bought one. Now that deal is gone. So just wait for 26 Jan deals or something like that.

nice tip, but from FK?
also 5400rpm enough for media play? suppose you connect it to tv?
It's selling for 8+k on Amazon.
It came in brand new sealed box but in a paper bag. Plus 3 years warranty so I'll just have to ship it back to their service center to get a new one if anything happens to it in warranty period. I already filled about 1tb on it now.

Edit: yes actually 5400 rpm is better for videos. Why? I use Kodi as example here. When you play a Blu-ray file, the video player buffers a few seconds of video in memory. That buffer can be anything from less than 1MB to more than 100MB. Some players buffer 50-100MB in memory if they think the data is coming from network or slow source. 100MB is like 20 minutes of video. It is enough to put the hdd into sleep mode. Conversely, some players don't buffer anything and keep using the hdd constantly making the hdd hot. So in such cases an internal drive @7400 rpm will become extremely hot since it is running continuously.

Last edited:
Edit: yes actually 5400 rpm is better for videos. Why? I use Kodi as example here. When you play a Blu-ray file, the video player buffers a few seconds of video in memory. That buffer can be anything from less than 1MB to more than 100MB. Some players buffer 50-100MB in memory if they think the data is coming from network or slow source. 100MB is like 20 minutes of video. It is enough to put the hdd into sleep mode. Conversely, some players don't buffer anything and keep using the hdd constantly making the hdd hot. So in such cases an internal drive @7400 rpm will become extremely hot since it is running continuously.
thats very detailed explanation , thx.
for now i put it up track list from amazon.. lets see..

Thanks for suggestions, my existing 1 TB internal drive has gone very slow. (dying), hence looking only for internal 2 TB drive.
Please suggest accordingly,

cmr vs smr drive
5400 or 7200 rpm
How much cache

Any suggestions from this 2 or other drive:

Amazon.in preferred

I think I read somewhere that all the less than 6TB drives with +64MB cache are all smr drives in some percent. Like if it's 2TB drive then 500 - 600MB is the smr region. So till you write 1.5TB you will get good speeds and after the disk becomes full it will start becoming slow and write at 4MB speeds or something like that.

I have a WD 4TB portable which is a smr drive and i had bought it years back. I doubt any of the newer drives are cmr drives now.

The second amazon link looks okay for storing movies / shows and other normal data. And also get a 5400 rpm drive for data.

I have a 4 TB 5400 RPM data drive for the past 1.5 years or so. earlier i was using a 7200 RPM drive and i dont find any difference while watching Movies or series.

The second amazon link looks okay for storing movies / shows and other normal data. And also get a 5400 rpm drive for data.

I have a 4 TB 5400 RPM data drive for the past 1.5 years or so. earlier i was using a 7200 RPM drive and i dont find any difference while watching Movies or series.
Look at the 2019 Holger review in German. Translate it to English and see that he mentioned that when he was writing a large file the speed dropped down to 2Mib/s. The 256MB cache gives away that this drive is smr drive. The 1TB drive with 64MB cache is probably cmr.

Actually this a better option. :)
But i will suggest to avoid Amazon for HDD. With recent so called eco friendly packaging, the quality of HDD packing has become shit on both amazon and flipkart. Better to get fragile item like HDD from the local shop.

PS - My new i5 processor came in a small paper bag from Flipkart. But luckily it was okay.
Be happy you got the correct model from FK, my friend got 3600X or something inside 5800X3D sealed box from FK.

Be happy you got the correct model from FK, my friend got 3600X or something inside 5800X3D sealed box from FK.
I went with the deal as there was an open packaging inspection of the item. And one can easily see the processor from outside the box.
My delivery guy was an old man and he insisted that I make a video of the unboxing and checking while he opened it.

Actually this a better option. :)
But i will suggest to avoid Amazon for HDD. With recent so called eco friendly packaging, the quality of HDD packing has become shit on both amazon and flipkart. Better to get fragile item like HDD from the local shop.

PS - My new i5 processor came in a small paper bag from Flipkart. But luckily it was okay.
Done ordered this for extra 100, seller will deliver tomorrow.

Thanks

Back