Video 20" lcd tv suggestions?

techie_007

Skilled
hi all,
Well, dad wants to buy a 20inch lcd for his bedroom. the room is not very big and the budget is similar so looking for a basic model which will perform decently. any suggestions with prices etc?

I suggested an HTPC with a 1930 viewsonic 19inch but hes happy with his existing p4 and doesnt want a new pc.

get a LCD monitor and then external TV box .. its really small .. can hide behind your TV.

Pro : you can use it as monitor
Monitor warranty are usually long than TV
Any problem in TV function just repair/replace the TV Box
Price saving .. so cheap LCD monitor. ( TV box should cost around 4.5k)

Cons : Extra device
Extra sound spk( this can be pro and con)

Note : I havent tested any of these TV box in person.

for the same price u can also get a sony 20inch lcd.note that both samsung and sony are based on TN technology which have very low viewing angles.the sony has more viewing angle verticaly and has a tad more contrast also higer watts speakers but the samsung has more resolution.
if u ask me might as well buy a lcd like a dell 2007 and buy a tv tuner or tata sky.dell will have better viewing angles and more contrast.

@adder good idea. but i cant hook it up to a computer. space issues. so what about those external tv boxes i can then hook up to a normal lcd monitor?

dude, u can find external tv tuners in varios brands like pinnacle, hauppauge etc, if u want cheaper ones, u can ones like tech com, zebronics. lot of option are there according to your budget.
One more thing, if u want to add a htpc in later stage, you can add it also. You can watch HD Movies in it. you will enjoy the quality of the HD Movies.

@gmano dads only interested in a tv for now. so no HD. N the external tv tuner ll need to b hooked up to a pc. i cant do that. need something wout connection to a PC.

Nope..budget is the main problem here ;)

@gmano: Thx for the links. I will check up on availability of these TV boxes most probably then..either one of these or the Samsung 19".

Can someone provide any links to TV boxes from brands other than zebronics/techcom? (available in India of course) Has anyone tried these out?

Believe me those external boxes are crap...best it hooking up Dell 2007WFP with Tata Sky ...will come close to 27k arnd in total. I would suggest u to have a look at the Samsung 26" ...it will be a better investment

^^ you mean to say that if he buys samsung tv, he need not buy a TATA SKY?
even then he needs to spend on it.

May I know why external tv tuners are crap? I am asking this out of curiosity.

TATA Sky is an option...he can use local CABLE signal as well :p.

Cant recommend any TN panels for TV viewing use frankly dut to horrible down viewing angles....another point is the high resolution of LCD PC monitors the low 640X480 MPEG2 signals of Tata Sky/CABLE gets more pixelated on a PC LCD.

As of external boxes...quality is never good compared to the tuners that we have in TVs/Tata Sky.

Supra is right .. these TV boxes wont live upto the mark. but until I try i wont give the title CRAP anyway.

Anyone tried before ? Manufacturer must have considered all these factor.

well if u do want a proper tv tuner u can try the aver media tv tuner but costs somewhere around 6000.so might as well get a lcd tv from the grey market u can get a sony KLV-26V300A bravia for around 29000 or a KLV-26S200A bravia for 27000 both these tv are 26inch lcds with HDMI.

errr....bit outta budget....i m really on a shoestring here [;)] i was looking at some of the specs for the TV tuner boxes n it seems some of them support output in like 12xx X 9xx resolution types...... Wont this be good then? Anyone tried one of these or seen one in action?

Back