2012 Civic LX

g25_default.jpg

Being sick and tired of driving around in a beaten down 2001 corolla (mind you, it still drove like a champ and gave zero problems), I finally had it. Also, manufacturers in the US have their "summer sales" event during the months of July and August where they have clearance for 2012 models to make way for the 2013 ones. On offer is a great financing rate and deep discounts on the MSRP. After test driving the 2012 corolla, Civic and Jetta, my dilemma just increased. I really liked how the new corolla drove like my old one and I was right at home with it. Also, the new model is a lot bigger, roomier and offers the same Toyota reliability. But the uninspiring design and the lackluster interiors didn't help it one bit.

I knew very little about Volkswagen vehicles so initially I ignored it completely. But I read about the Jetta and also have a friend who owns one and they asked me to give it a thought. I had a demo on the Jetta SE with a 5 cylinder 2.5l engine and damn I was blown away by how much power this baby packs. I'd barely touch the accelerator and it blasted off like a rocket (I am exaggerating but not a lot). A few things I didn't like were the leatherette seats (they get too warm in summer months) and the low gas mileage due to the more powerful engine.

The civic TD was a mixed bag. It has a more sporty cabin and a lot of modern gadgetry which I had not used before and thus seemed a bit intimidating at first. The speedometer is write in front of you, above the steering wheel which I found to be too obstructive while looking at the road. Everything else was as one would expect from a compact car. The fact I really liked was the cushioned arm-rest unlike my current corolla. Even the 2012 corolla had the same, hard plastic armrest which is a PITA if you rest your right hand on it while driving.

Finally, the money factor also played a big part. I was highly bent on the corolla but the dealer was stubborn and unhelpful and it left a bitter taste in my mouth. The Volkswagen dealer was stuck on his price which was way more than I was willing to pay. I took another TD of the civic (with an open mind this time) and was pleasantly surprised how one can get used to all the gadgetry. Also, it has one of the best mileage (about 17kmpl on the highway) in its class which is important to me as I drive at least 50 kms everyday for work. So a decision was made and on Saturday, I took the keys of this black beauty which you will see below

Click here to view the gallery.

There will be no more Civic launches by Honda in India anymore atleast :(
Njoi your new ride :)

Thanks everyone. I drive very defensively and getting a more powerful car would've made me go reckless! Hopefully Honda will find a suitable replacement to the civic until they launch a diesel variant in India.

Back