21"/ 29" Color TV Suggestion Please

Emperor

Skilled
Hello Friends,

Looking to buy 21"/29" Color TV (NO LCD-LED etc.) with USB port & good sound system. Budget up to 15k.

TV set hardaware qulaity must be best in it's range. If possisble BEE STAR rating (4/5 STAR) TV set prefered.

Prefer Brand Samsung & Sharp.

Please give your inputs.

Thanks
happy19.gif

CRT will be a power hog. Avoid buying obsolete tech.

If they are not comfortable with LCD then go for a plasma with the highest warranty.

I can think of many reasons why to go for an CRT.

I think a CRT produces better picture quality compared to most LCD/LED.

Also there is better contrast and no ghosting. I compared the picture of CRT vs LCD in Samsung and Sony showroom and the CRT had better color reproduction than the LCDs. That is why im still sticking to CRT instead of LCD even though my parents wanted me to get an LCD for 'show' purposes.

Also due to their widescreen Aspect ratio, LCDs appear smaller. 26" LCD will look smaller than 26" CRT. It doesnt just look smaller it really has lesser viewing area. So Emperor go for CRT. I have to admit though. Its becoming incresingly hard to find CRT TVs for sale these days. As CRT is a fully matured technology you can go for pretty much any of the standard brands and you'll have good quality.

CRT tvs have crap picture quality( this includes even the Sony Wega CRT tvs ),compared to todays standard,.

They have poor ANSI contrast,shadow details and have really poor contrast under ambient light,flicker,geometry issues,annoying sound from the picture tube the moment it switched on and they are also not easy on eyes.

I can never go back to a CRT tv.

Well, CRT is obsolete technology. Yes it has some sorta better picture quality but with VGA resolution I guess. You will get a CRT but you will miss the HD magic. Why one should go with a technology that existed around 2 decades back? You will definitely see the different when you see normal cable channels (non HD) on HD panels. They look just aweful. You will miss the HD thing if you go with CRT.

More reasons, why not to buy CRT TV -

- Consumes more energy and power

- Noisy picture tube

- Takes huge amount of space

- Heavy box

- Low resolution

CRT TV tech. is obsolete considering the space and power they consume (among others) but there is a niche market for these displays in the rural areas. The displays are much more affordable than they were before and a very good 21" display can be had today for under 5k - something which used to be north of 20k during the late '90s (Sony Trinitron, Wega, LG Flatron anyone?). This does not necessarily imply that these folks can go for a HDTV instead. For all the news, sports, prime time series etc. a CRT TV is a decent buy. If the budget however permits a decent HDTV, there is no harm going for one. A no frills 720p 32" HDTV retails for 23~25k nowadays and the PQ is much better than the average CRT display.

As a matter of fact, my grandparents were farmers (in the true sense. They worked in rice/paddy fields and toiled day and night!) and despite all the luxuries my father could afford, they refused to move on to something better and live the life they did some 20~30 years back. We got them a 21" Videocon CRT TV back in '98 and it still works *touchwood* without issues. At least they do not wish to move on to something high-tech like full HD 3D edge-lit LED displays.
tongu23e.gif

yawn, i never heard of a crt tv with usb port

has anyone?

Toshiba MD30H82, Samsung TXS3082WH, LG 29FU3, Onida has a few models with USB playback options.

Look this way. If you are living in a metro from july STB is mandatory.

With it many channels will be available in HD.

Watching HD channels on a CRT will not be worth it.

Would suggest you check out LCD in 32 inch range from lloyd and similar companies which offer 3-4 years warranty.

Sacrifice on your usb playback and if required connect your pc to Hdmi in of the LCD.

Do LCD TV's come in 4:3 ratio.. I used to see many monitors but i dont remember if there were tv or not..

as for buying CRT TV.. their PQ isnt good at all.. 480p at the max. and movies have less viewing area..

LCD is all worth for the money invested.

#Gannu & friends,

... what about maintainance free life span of LCD/LED TV? I hear it's up to 5 years only
sad.gif

Though LCD/LED cheap on power bill but at same time their repairing cost is huge, as per local tech persons about LCD/LED TV- Authorised tech person will charge (after warranty) minimum Rs.1500/- + spares & maximum company charge heavily for SPARES as spares are not available in open market but with brand owner only
sad.gif

Also we are not frequent upgarder.

PS: Just curious to know What INCLUEDS in LCD/LED warranty?
  1. Service + Spares or
  2. Service only & Spares at extra charge?

Thanks for replies
happy19.gif

Would advice to go for a LCD. Videocon and many cheap brands are available below 20K for a 32 incher.

As for the BEE ratings, dont bother unless it will be on 24x7. Your net savings will be less than 100 bucks a month.

One of my lcd tv bought from grey market is 7 year old and still running good as new,as long as you have a good stabilizer there shouldn't be much of a problem.It generates less heat then a CRT .

If its a manufacturer warranty it includes the cost of service and spares ,if its dealer warranty like those ebay deals or grey market product its has no warranty.

Bad bad idea - no CRT tv for you :)

Honestly, as others have stated, go for an LCD. I went for a Toshiba basic 32" LCD 32PB1 at 17.5k with Videocon d2h, i can never go back to my Samsung CRT tv again (so let me ask -do you want my CRT tv second hand
ohyeah.gif
?)

Why not provided shipping is free
<

Bad bad idea - no CRT tv for you :)

Honestly, as others have stated, go for an LCD. I went for a Toshiba basic 32" LCD 32PB1 at 17.5k with Videocon d2h, i can never go back to my Samsung CRT tv again (so let me ask -do you want my CRT tv second hand
ohyeah.gif
?)

#[member='Gannu']

can you shade more light over my post no #12 here?

Thanks

I think it depends. The Toshiba i bought came with a 3yr warranty. In that I guess everything should be covered. Yes, panels do get spoilt over time - but then so do CRTs - though I agree that the fail rate of LCD panels may be higher.

Let me ask you a question - assuming you are working on an LCD monitor, will you ever go back to CRT - even though CRT is more reliable?

Hi,

I'm working on LED but it's my choice & TV is for ALL FAMILY members & my family members like good sound & for LCD/LED TV (for good sound like CRT with extra woofer/bass) I need to buy Home Theater.

Now see LCD TV price 16k + 5k home theater= 21k

LCD/LED TV may save power but at same time Home tehater counsumes equeal to CRT TV so if I buy LCD + Home Theater than power counsumption will increased compare to CRT with External bass/woofer.

Thanks
happy19.gif

I think it depends. The Toshiba i bought came with a 3yr warranty. In that I guess everything should be covered. Yes, panels do get spoilt over time - but then so do CRTs - though I agree that the fail rate of LCD panels may be higher.

Let me ask you a question - assuming you are working on an LCD monitor, will you ever go back to CRT - even though CRT is more reliable?

FYI, LCD sounds tinny - agreed, but you don't need to spend 5k for a decent pair of speakers. Right now I'm using my old PC's creative Rs 400 speakers hooked on to my LCD - and that has made the sound significantly better and louder.

You can easily get a decent 2.1 speakers for < 2000, and a decent 2.0 for < 1000.

#[member='Gannu'], #[member='adder'] & Friends,

Finally my family members decided to go with 21" Color TV (Flat/slim) from Samsung or Sharp.

Here on TE lots of friends suggest LCD/LED but we decided to go with Flat or UltraSlim Color TV.

There is very few with Sharp but good numbers with Samsung.

Our priority is Durablity, Good Sound (with bass, external woofer etc.) USB preferable (optional), Auto Sound Levler (optional) Golden Eye/Digital Eye (is this technology really works & is there with LCD/LED too)

We liked following:

Sharp 21TK72

& with smasung so many there so please suggest your best.

Thanks

Back