Monitors 22/24" LCD suggestion

Unless things have changed, note that there is no "E2408" model :D

It's either E or 0... meaning either E248WFP (cheaper TN which i also have) or 2408WFP (the more expensive one which some other lucky bastids have)...

where are you getting a Dell 2408WFP for 25k?

a alternate to Dell E248WFP is Benq E2400HD/M2400HD which are releasing soon

if you are getting a Dell 2408WFP for 25k buy it

Took the plunge this weekend and bought the Acer 26" for around 22k. There seem to be two similar models(AL2616W and AL2623W). Whilst there has been some controversy as to the type of panels used(PVA or IPS) it definitely is not a TN panel. My own testing using this http://www.toastyx.net/va-test.png seems to suggest it is an IPS but there is no purple/amber tint - only a uniform white one(perhaps an H-IPS?).

You could definitely consider this model - the colours are a little bright and not as detailed as the more expensive ones, but for a price comparable to 24" TNs it is difficult to beat.

Keiran1521 said:
Took the plunge this weekend and bought the Acer 26" for around 22k. There seem to be two similar models(AL2616W and AL2623W). Whilst there has been some controversy as to the type of panels used(PVA or IPS) it definitely is not a TN panel. My own testing using this http://www.toastyx.net/va-test.png seems to suggest it is an IPS but there is no purple/amber tint - only a uniform white one(perhaps an H-IPS?).

You could definitely consider this model - the colours are a little bright and not as detailed as the more expensive ones, but for a price comparable to 24" TNs it is difficult to beat.
Wow now thats an interesting turn of events Acer 26' for 22k somethings not rite!, do u have any pics and how is the monitor for gaming/movies, another question viewing angle?...if its S-IPS, you should be able to view from any angle.

Pls let me know

P.S- Warranty terms??

Hi,

The viewing angle is great - so far I've been looking at it from all sorts of odd angles and it seems to be fine. The entire picture seems to get uniformly covered with a little grey mist, but there is no patches of light and dark like in TN panels(I have it side by side with my old Viewsonic Va1912).

I got the AL2623W, but the specs sheets of both models are similar.

The Indian website has a link for this -
acer India - Products View

And the UK site specifications (more in depth) -

Acer - United Kingdom - Products

Also, while they claim it has a PVA panel, there is a certain amount of controversy about that. Witness the hardforum discussion -

Acer AL2616Wd Silver 26" - [H]ard|Forum

Caveats

The specifications are not always the most accurate. My monitor came without a DVI input(most disappointed) even though the specification sheet claims it has one. Am going to write to Acer about that.

The warranty is for 3 years.

Also, someone mentioned the Apple Cinema 23" is a TN display because of the 170" viewing angles, but I think that is Apple just being conservative about their figures. I remember seeing an Anandtech review a couple of years ago(when they were most definitely using the LG Philips S-IPS), and they still claimed only 170" viewing angles. (AnandTech: The 20" LCD Shootout: Dell versus Apple)

Keiran1521 said:
Hi,

The viewing angle is great - so far I've been looking at it from all sorts of odd angles and it seems to be fine. The entire picture seems to get uniformly covered with a little grey mist, but there is no patches of light and dark like in TN panels(I have it side by side with my old Viewsonic Va1912).

I got the AL2623W, but the specs sheets of both models are similar.

The Indian website has a link for this -
acer India - Products View

And the UK site specifications (more in depth) -

Also, while they claim it has a PVA panel, there is a certain amount of controversy about that. Witness the hardforum discussion -

Acer AL2616Wd Silver 26" - [H]ard|Forum

Caveats

The specifications are not always the most accurate. My monitor came without a DVI input(most disappointed) even though the specification sheet claims it has one. Am going to write to Acer about that.

The warranty is for 3 years.

Also, someone mentioned the Apple Cinema 23" is a TN display because of the 170" viewing angles, but I think that is Apple just being conservative about their figures. I remember seeing an Anandtech review a couple of years ago(when they were most definitely using the LG Philips S-IPS), and they still claimed only 170" viewing angles. (AnandTech: The 20" LCD Shootout: Dell versus Apple)

Impressive specs and pricing I must add, but another con is the connectivity, there ought to be a HDMI port, ofrourse I can use the DVI-HDMI convertor, but with such a high end model the HDMI should've been there.

But you also mentioned that your model did not come with the DVI input, that is sad! isnt there a way to check, or why dont you return it saying that the specs state it should have the DVI port and doesnt have one.

I would try my luck in talking to Acer about it but there are a few things stopping me -

1) The difficulty in actually obtaining the monitor - it seems to be in short supply everywhere and I don't know where I'd be able to get a replacement.

2) I don't have any Indian website with those specs so they could rightfully claim that it is a different revision that has been launched over here.

3) Since it is connected to the computer and I have a DVI-VGA converter, it is not overtly bothering me at the moment.

Am debating the pros and cons still. I agree with you in principle though - it is rather inexcusable that it comes without DVI/HDMI.

Back