OC & Modding 220V AC to 12V DC - powering PC fans through mains

napstersquest

Thread Police
Adept
I have a server rack and a cabinet on which I plan to use some PC 120mm fans (Noctuas).

How do you guys suggest I power them? Don't want to use a PC PSU just for it, looking for a compact and efficient solution.

The 220V AC fans that came with the rack are too loud and annoying.

I have a server rack and a cabinet on which I plan to use some PC 120mm fans (Noctuas).

How do you guys suggest I power them? Don't want to use a PC PSU just for it, looking for a compact and efficient solution.

The 220V AC fans that came with the rack are too loud and annoying.
If you want them running full blast at all time, use any cheap 12V adapter and wire them to the +12V and 2nd line leaving the PWM pin unconnected.
If you want speed control - add this board : https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07V872M4D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this combination to cool a medium sized space that houses my home server and misc AV equipment (area under staircase)

Ambient temp in my location tends to remain around 24C +/- 4C
So the fans run slow most of the time with no noise at all.
In peak summers (May) they sometimes spin up a bit but not too bad - And I have Coolermaster.
Your Noctuas should be even quieter

If you want them running full blast at all time, use any cheap 12V adapter and wire them to the +12V and 2nd line leaving the PWM pin unconnected.
If you want speed control - add this board : https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07V872M4D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this combination to cool a medium sized space that houses my home server and misc AV equipment (area under staircase)

Ambient temp in my location tends to remain around 24C +/- 4C
So the fans run slow most of the time with no noise at all.
In peak summers (May) they sometimes spin up a bit but not too bad - And I have Coolermaster.
Your Noctuas should be even quieter
Omg this (advice as well as the product) seems like exactly what I needed. I love this forum and the people, thanks!

Last edited:
Back