Budget 0-20k 24 inch+ Monitor suggestions around 20000 (reduce eyes strain with lights off)

Futureized

Skilled
Existing monitor Dell SE2416H 24-inch
Bought this monitor last year from TE member last year, it is perfectly fine till day https://techenclave.com/threads/pair-of-2-dell-24-monitors.207810/#post-2388206

But Screen refresh rate of this monitor is 60hz locks frame rates to max 60hz else can notice screen tearing while gaming.
Planning to upgrade to a better option with little larger screen size (viewing distance between eyes and monitor is around 50 cm to 60 cm)
Reduce eye strains work with lights off is added advantage
Color and text accuracy + sharpness
Good refresh Rate my GPU - AMD Radeaon RX 6600 Sapphier 8GB DDR6
Bigger screen then 24"

But Screen refresh rate of this monitor is 60hz locks frame rates to max 60hz else can notice screen tearing while gaming.
If you turn on vsync or freesync if your monitor supports it, you will not see any tearing.

Reduce eye strains work with lights off is added advantage
Color and text accuracy + sharpness
I have been using 24 inch 1080p 120hz monitor from the past 10 years, I can conclude that for the most comfort while working, crisp/sharp text and good colors makes a huge difference, refresh rate comes next. 24inch at 1080p is not sharp enough.

My suggestion - Look for 27 inch 1440p IPS monitor with 144hz rate. like LG 27GN800.

I recently got an Odyssey g4 at 18k from the ongoing sale. I can confirm full HD is not sufficient. Honestly I'm not seeing a big difference from the higher refresh rate (240 hz). Yes it's pleasant, but Main benefits are from the eye care mode. The lower dpi has actually made it harder to look at text. I say try to aim for Max dpi and something with an eye care mode

I've tried only with 120hz as my work laptop can't seem to do better. Also at higher resolution, the max possible frequency will go down because of cable bandwidth limitation.

Thanks for quick replies.
I am not good on hardware selection and mostly buy stuff from suggestions received on TE.
I learnt that monitor refresh rate or fps received is actually displayed on screen (whichever is lowest)
With vysnc enabled max fps is 60. compared to my new asus laptop which takes fps upto 100 (games appear very very smooth)
Laptop refresh rate is 144hz

Some doubts:
Not sure what is QHD/FHD (or what i need)
Unsure about vysnc/gsync etc.
How many pixels needed 1080p or more, 2560 x 1440 OR 1920 x 1080 (does a 1080p monitor cannot play games at higher resolutions) ? My old dell supports 1920x1080
Dont know IPS thing except its definition
Dpi according to my knowledge is used somewhere in printer outputs.

.. It will take me a week or more to understand this terms properly.

I have to work for max 2 hours in dark (with room lights off) reduce eye strain, crystal clear text and sharpness in everyday work will be useful​

Gaming i spend like less then 5+ hours a week, but if find time, game more then 6+ hours at stretch.

So request to guide accordingly..
@Heisen I found 3 monitors for the model you suggested on amazon..
https://www.amazon.in/LG-Ultragear-Monitor-FreeSync-Compatible-24GN65R/ - 12199
https://www.amazon.in/LG-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor-27GL650F/ - 15499
https://www.amazon.in/LG-Ultragear-10-27Gn800-Resolution-Compatible/dp/B09T34GSX7/ - 22099

also any rough idea, how much i can sell the old monitor for ? or there is another place to ask this ?

Last edited:
Get Acer VG240Ys or LG 24GN65R. I own the former, won't say the minimum brightness is low enough for working in complete darkness. Put at least a LED strip behind it. I don't expect the LG to much lower min brightness (can't confirm though).

Not sure what is QHD/FHD (or what i need)
Both are terms to define the native resolution of the monitor
FHD - 1920x1080 (what you currently have)
QHD - 2560x1440

Unsure about vysnc/gsync etc.
Vsync - A settings in 3D apps/games which limits the frames to match refresh rate of the monitor (mostly enabled when CPU/GPU is generating frames faster than the refresh rate of the monitor),

Gsync/Freesync - Newer versions of Vsync which allows the screen refresh rate to match with the output of frames from CPU/GPU. Screen will only refresh when there is a new frame.

How many pixels needed 1080p or more, 2560 x 1440 OR 1920 x 1080 (does a 1080p monitor cannot play games at higher resolutions) ? My old dell supports 1920x1080
1080p monitor can play games at max 1920x1080. Similarly 1440p monitor can play at max 2560x1440. The higher the resolution more crisp/sharp the text.

Dont know IPS thing except its definition
This is a type of monitor, like TN, IPS, VA, all have there advantage and disadvantages.
IPS is known for there colour accuracy, deep blacks and good viewing angle.

Dpi according to my knowledge is used somewhere in printer outputs.
You probably meant PPI not DPI when talking monitors. This means total number of pixels per inch, some PPI values of monitors with different screen sizes.

22inch @ 1080p - 100.13
24inch @ 1080p - 91.79
27inch @ 1440p - 108.79

The higher the PPI value the more sharp/crisp the text.

Only the third link works.

lso any rough idea, how much i can sell the old monitor for ? or there is another place to ask this ?
I don't know, If I had to buy I would probably pay 5k max total for the pair.

@Heisen Thank You very much for a very detailed explanation and clarifying lot of doubts which would have taken few days for me to understand..

My works requires lot of text reading.. A friend of mine suggested me following things to look for in a monitor (which can be used for next 3 years atleast)
27 inch
144/165 hz
Resolution 2k = 2560 x 1440
response time = less then .5 ms
color accuracy - 95% more then srgb OR 85% more then argb or dci-p3
Height/Tilt adjust..

Will check other options too now.

My request to you. Please go to a showroom or some place where they have gaming monitors on display, and see
1 . What difference does refresh rate make
2. What difference does higher resolution make
3. What difference does a good eye care mode make

You seem to have two different use cases
1. Ultra High fps gaming (needs big screen, low pixel count, high refresh rate)
2. Office work (needs high pixel density, reduced eye strain at night)

Big screen+ low pixel count= low pixel density which is the opposite of what your second use case needs. Either buy two monitors - one 27 inch full hd with high refresh rate, plus one 22-24 inch HD/QHD and maybe keep it in portrait mode for your document reading.

If you're trying to achieve both with a single monitor,
24/27 inch with full hd will be crap for office work.
This is what I bought. Text will look jagged and it will be a pain. Whatever you think the better refresh rate will improve, the low density will make it a lot worse. But your graphics card will drive it easily and games will look spectacular. If it has an eye care mode then good.

OR....

24 inch HD, something like this

Will be great for office work, documents will be very readable, though you may need to play around with windows display scaling. It has 75 hz. Slightly better than 60 but nothing great. Has freesync so it should help reduce tearing a bit, but not much. It has a decent eye care mode with a sensor, which will help a lot at night. And games will look ok on it.
You can pick one of these compromises.

Last edited:
@Heisen @greenhorn @OMEGA44-XT Thanks for your replies.
I have researched enough (with help from a friend) this is the monitor I am planning to go for..

LG UltraGear™ Gaming Monitor(27") QHD IPS Display(2560*1440), Smooth Gameplay:165Hz & 1ms, HDR 10, sRGB 99%(Typ.), G-SYNC®, AMD FreeSync™ Premium, Anti-Glare, Height, Pivot, HDMI, DP, HP Out, 27GR75Q
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0C8MVVCQN for 23799
https://elitehubs.com/products/lg-ultragear-27gr75q-b-qhd-165hz-ips-gaming-monitor for 24299

Any thoughts/suggestions ?
Will order in a day or 2.

Last edited:
@Heisen @greenhorn @OMEGA44-XT Thanks for your replies.
I have researched enough (with help from a friend) this is the monitor I am planning to go for..

LG UltraGear™ Gaming Monitor(27") QHD IPS Display(2560*1440), Smooth Gameplay:165Hz & 1ms, HDR 10, sRGB 99%(Typ.), G-SYNC®, AMD FreeSync™ Premium, Anti-Glare, Height, Pivot, HDMI, DP, HP Out, 27GR75Q
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0C8MVVCQN for 23799
https://elitehubs.com/products/lg-ultragear-27gr75q-b-qhd-165hz-ips-gaming-monitor for 24299

Any thoughts/suggestions ?
Will order in a day or 2.
I will not buy LG IPS monitors for myself because of the low contrast ratio. My old Acer VG240Ys maybe has closer to 1200:1 contrast ratio, when I moved to an Asus 1440p 170Hz monitor, I could notice the bit lower contrast ratio (1000:1), but did get used to it. LG nano IPS panels have an 800:1 contrast ratio.

My recommendation for most had been XV272U KV, now Acer XV272U V3 as it is cheaper as well. KV model has been reviewed by rtings.com. Newer V3 model lacks connectivity options on monitor, like no USB ports.

But usually, LG monitors have been very overpriced as well. At under 24k, it is priced well IMO. So you can get it if you want.

I will not buy LG IPS monitors for myself because of the low contrast ratio. My old Acer VG240Ys maybe has closer to 1200:1 contrast ratio, when I moved to an Asus 1440p 170Hz monitor, I could notice the bit lower contrast ratio (1000:1), but did get used to it. LG nano IPS panels have an 800:1 contrast ratio.

My recommendation for most had been XV272U KV, now Acer XV272U V3 as it is cheaper as well. KV model has been reviewed by rtings.com. Newer V3 model lacks connectivity options on monitor, like no USB ports.

But usually, LG monitors have been very overpriced as well. At under 24k, it is priced well IMO. So you can get it if you want.

This are 2 models came up on Amazon for model you have suggested:
https://www.amazon.in/Acer-Nitro-XV272U-IPS-Monitor/dp/B07SHPJJZR - Not AVailable
https://www.amazon.in/Acer-Backlight-Monitor-Refresh-Certified/dp/B0CCSL95T1?th=1 - 19000

XV272U V3 goes OOS from time to time, so keep an eye on it & grab it when it is in stock.
@OMEGA44-XT
Couldn't get online for past 2-3 weeks, can you kindly direct to monitor from amazon, it still unavailable..
Technically I did not understood the difference between

If you have better options then this under 25K please let me know.

vs

Acer Nitro XV272U V3 27 inch IPS WQHD 2560 x 1440 Pixels Gaming Backlight LED LCD Monitor I Delta E<1, DCI-P3 95% I 180Hz Refresh Rate, 0.5ms Resonse Time I HDR 400 I AMD Free Sync I Eyesafe Certified
Cannot find that Acer model anywhere..

@OMEGA44-XT
Couldn't get online for past 2-3 weeks, can you kindly direct to monitor from amazon, it still unavailable..
Technically I did not understood the difference between

If you have better options then this under 25K please let me know.

vs

Acer Nitro XV272U V3 27 inch IPS WQHD 2560 x 1440 Pixels Gaming Backlight LED LCD Monitor I Delta E<1, DCI-P3 95% I 180Hz Refresh Rate, 0.5ms Resonse Time I HDR 400 I AMD Free Sync I Eyesafe Certified
Cannot find that Acer model anywhere..
Another option is Gigabyte M27Q rev 2.0 (not rev 1), esp if you will use the monitor with multiple systems, like your personal computer & office laptop because of KVM switch.

Else LG one should be fine, stick to IPS panel. I have no idea when XV272U V3 will be back in stock.

Another option is Gigabyte M27Q rev 2.0 (not rev 1), esp if you will use the monitor with multiple systems, like your personal computer & office laptop because of KVM switch.

Else LG one should be fine, stick to IPS panel. I have no idea when XV272U V3 will be back in stock.
I assume this is with IPS Panel as mentioned in title and description:

Gigabyte M27Q rev 2.0 is available on https://mdcomputers.in/gigabyte-27-inch-m27q-rev-2-0.html = 26000
https://www.amazon.in/Gigabyte-M27Q-Monitor-Response-FreeSync/dp/B08R8HYBWG/ = 30000 (not sure if this is rev 2.0)

Can you kindly let me know why Gigabyte is better then the monitor mentioned in this post ? (Gigabyte has 2 additional USB 3x ports in front)

The second link you posted is a rev (short for revision) 1.0 because it advertises 92% DCI-P3 coverage as opposed to 95% DCI-P3 coverage with the rev 2.0 (checked with the subreddit appears to be the only way to tell if not mentioned otherwise in the marketing).

On the usability front, rev 1.0 is borderline unusable for your case as it utilizes a BGR sub-pixel layout as opposed to the standard RGB layout. You can read about the mechanical details at your leisure but in the end a BGR layout will produce much worse text readability via color fringing than an RGB layout. In your use case that is utterly unusable. Go for the rev 2.0 if you choose the Gigabyte (look for 95% DCI-P3, but the mdcomputers link already mentions rev 2.0 so you're in the clear with them although would still recommend checking the 95% claim with the unit they ship just to double check and return in case they ship the wrong version by mistake).

I assume this is with IPS Panel as mentioned in title and description:

Gigabyte M27Q rev 2.0 is available on https://mdcomputers.in/gigabyte-27-inch-m27q-rev-2-0.html = 26000
https://www.amazon.in/Gigabyte-M27Q-Monitor-Response-FreeSync/dp/B08R8HYBWG/ = 30000 (not sure if this is rev 2.0)

Can you kindly let me know why Gigabyte is better then the monitor mentioned in this post ? (Gigabyte has 2 additional USB 3x ports in front)
Please read my comment again.

M27Q has a KVM switch, that's a big advantage for some. I just provided another option, that's all.

You linked the correct LG one earlier as well.

For most people, XV272U V3 is enough & will save some money as well but I don't know when it will be back in stock.

If you want a monitor now, get LG because Acer is OOS. If you want KVM, pay extra for M27Q rev 2.0.

Back