Audio 25% discount on Sennheiser! :P So, what to buy?

pretttt

Skilled
Hi,

Please help me out here. Amarbir's giving out a 25% discount and I've been putting off buying a headphone since a long time. Maybe now is the best time to take a plunge.

Budget: Rs. 3500/-

Use: Gaming (50%), music(40% - Rock, Pop, hip hop), movies(10%).

It will be used mainly during night time, so shouldnt leak sound. Also, it should minimize outside sound. So, I guess that means a Closed headphone. Will be used ONLY with my PC. Right now, I have only onboard. I may buy a sound card in future if absolutely unavoidable.

Also, I was looking at ATH M35 also. Is it any better than what I can get from Sennheiser in this budget?

What other options do I have?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

HD448 comes to Rs 3210 + Shipping with this. How is this one for my requirements?

Hi I am an Audio Technica Distributor here. We can hands down recommend you ATH-M35 to you, keeping your budget in mind. They are younger sibling of famous ATH-M35. Priced at around 3400( MRP-3845), with one year of warranty from Pristine Note. You should get a review on these very shortly on TE. They should be able to take on any headphone at their price range!.

PristineNote said:
Hi I am an Audio Technica Distributor here. We can hands down recommend you ATH-M35 to you, keeping your budget in mind. They are younger sibling of famous ATH-M35. Priced at around 3400( MRP-3845), with one year of warranty from Pristine Note. You should get a review on these very shortly on TE. They should be able to take on any headphone at their price range!.
Well,

Worry not soon i will have the audio technica range of products also .There are other audio techica distributors already in india

Only Sennheiser products ( in the HD lineup ) that i have read good reviews about are:

1.HD800

2.HD600

3.HD650

4.HD202

5.HD25 II

6.HD280pro

7.HD380pro

( int eh order of their popularity, and reviews )

So i suggest you ask around for personal experience about the HD280pro. THough i dont trust CNET reviews much, but still they do rate the HD280pro nicely among some of the best HPs. its around your budget (after 25% discount)

strategy said:
Only Sennheiser products ( in the HD lineup ) that i have read good reviews about are:

1.HD800
2.HD600
3.HD650
4.HD202
5.HD25 II
6.HD280pro
7.HD380pro
( int eh order of their popularity, and reviews )

So i suggest you ask around for personal experience about the HD280pro. THough i dont trust CNET reviews much, but still they do rate the HD280pro nicely among some of the best HPs. its around your budget (after 25% discount)
Thanks for the reply.

Well, I checked the HD280pro, with the discount they come to around 4.5K. Well outside my budget. Of the others you suggested, everything except HD202 is outside my budget. HD202 is 1.5K. I dont know, maybe if I get nothing worthwhile in 3.5K, I look into this one. :)

I have some questions to the audio gurus here:
For a set budget like mine, is it better to go for a gaming headset from Razer, Steelseries etc. or audio specific brands like Sennheiser, AT etc? Most of my use will be gaming. But, I also listen to music once in a while. My worry is how will a gaming headset perform while listening music and how will a normal headset work in games. I have never used anything beyond the Rs. 500/- headphones, so dont have the slightest idea what I'm going get from these. Would be very helpful if someone can put in some views.

Hey dude i m using HD-202 and i would it say its better to go for a brand liek sennheiser ,AT rather than razer or steelseries , i have used a steelseries 3h headsets and dey sound crap for music , i use headphones for games like CS and i find the positional audio is pretty gud for a music headphone plus they are gud for music too , i m sure people here can suggest u other gud headphones for music in that range but my personal experience among HD202, steelseries 3h .. HD 202 is a better buy anytime

As isolation is also a priority thats why i did not say Koss portapros.

Also one thing more, Roccat and Razer 5.1 surround HPs are good ( i mean they have good reviews ) all else do not have good reviews. both are well beyond your budget.

You can also look at the JVC RX700, its great for gaming , movies and music.

Down side will be that its huge.

Infact i will suggest you go for JVC RX700 they are very comfortable and have good sound.

Below that the HD202 are good, as others have suggested.

Thanks for the replies Sukant and Strategy!

RX700 seems like an excellent suggestion. Lots of reviews. BUT, the big issue is that it is not available in India with Warranty. Amarbir has it listed for 3.1K (perfect for my budget), but in his TE thread he specified that no warranty will be given for it. :( Warranty is a big issue for me.

Any Sony headphones in this price range? How is Sony MDR-XB300? Its listed on Sony website for only 2.5K EDIT: Cancel this, it seems these do not cover the ears (Supra aural?). I need something which will cover the ears.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

So, here are the options from Audio Technica and Sennheiser which are in my budget range:

ATH-T500 - 3.5K

ATH-M35 - 3.4K

Senn HD428 - 2.5K

Senn HD438 - 2.9K

Senn HD448 - 3.2K

Senn HD215 - 3.6K

I dont know about the Audio technica models( those models )

and if you go for senn. get the HD202.

the XB300 is not recommended.

and ask around about the build of RX700, cause i think they are built well.

I have the HD202 and HD650 from Mr. Amarbir only, though there is no comparison, both are value for money especially at 25% off. I just wanna say the 650 needs good amplification to shine the 202 are sensitive and bass heavy.

Hey, thanks for all the replies. I'm now thinking of dropping my plans for all those expensive headphones and instead looking for something really cheap i.e. <1.5K

So, HD202 is very much in the picture now. I read about Philips SHP2500. Some say its very good for the price. It costs only Rs. 700/- in India. How does it compare to HD202? Also, how is SHP2700? It is in same price range as HD202.

strategy said:
I dont know about the Audio technica models( those models )

and if you go for senn. get the HD202.

the XB300 is not recommended.
and ask around about the build of RX700, cause i think they are built well.
Well, had been to Croma today and decided to get HD202 locally only. Well, initial impressions suggest that I will be very satisfied with this. Played TF2 and have been listening music and I feel like this was the right decision. Also, it does a great job of cutting out noise and there not much leakage either. Thanks for the suggestions everybody!

Back