2600k Rig suggestion

stormblast

Skilled
Q: What is your budget?
Mentioned below

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
None

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
None

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU - 2600k (Dont need any suggestions & i dont want 2500k)

Motherboard - Need Suggestion (**Must have 2 x ps/2 ports, should be good enough to run 2600k @ 4.3-4.6ghz ocd 24/7 on full load**)

GPU - Need Suggestion (**Must be fanless & below 5k**)

RAM - 4gb x 4 kit @ 1600 9-9-9-24 Need suggestion (**Must be compatble with Noctua u12p se2 when all 4 ramsticks are installed**)

SMPS - Corsair VX450 (Would this be enough for 2600k ocd to around 4.5ghz as there are not going to be any other heavy components in the rig)

Case - NZXT Gamma (Dont need suggestion)

Cooler - Noctua u12p se2 (Dont need suggestion)

HDD - Seagate 500gb (Dont need suggestion)

Monitor - Dont need

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
No Upgrades

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Mumbai Local shop

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Office work

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
No preference

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
No Gaming

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Desktop - 1440x900

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Yes

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows XP X64 Pro

For the board i am thinking about Asus p8p67 or Asus p8p67pro. As you can read from above i dont need all the extra expansion slots or features etc. My main requirement is that the board should be able to run the 2600k ocd @ around 4.5ghz for 24/7 use under full load. If there are any advantages of the pro over the regular p8p67 which i am unable to see for my requirement i dont mind spending the extra money.
All inputs are welcomed, but before suggesting something please see my main requirement for board and ram highligted in red.

stalker said:
4.5G shouldn't be a problem at all, with any of those boards.

Why the ps2 port requirement?
i dont use usb. its disabled. kb and mouse both need to connected via ps2 ports.
the ps2 pci cards arent available locally.

Board - Asus P8P67 Pro

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws/Corsair XMS3 1600MHz CL9 4 x 4GB

The VX450 should easily drive the system without issues paired with a GPU like the HD5770/GTX250.

Gannu said:
Board - Asus P8P67 Pro

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws/Corsair XMS3 1600MHz CL9 4 x 4GB

The VX450 should easily drive the system without issues paired with a GPU like the HD5770/GTX250.

can you elaborate why your suggesting pro over the vanilla? i dont see any diff in the powerphase or cooling when compared.

xms3 would fit, but you sure if the ripjaws fit? cause in the amd x6 setup they dont with the noctua

stormblast said:
can you elaborate why your suggesting pro over the vanilla? i dont see any diff in the powerphase or cooling when compared.
I would suggest you to get the Asus P8P67 Pro.
1. Just in case if you decide to go SLI/CF one day in future the Pro variant gets an upper hand because P8P67Pro has x16, x8/x8, + x4 setup whereas the P8P67 has x16 + x4. Running GPUs at x4 is not recommended at all.
2. ASUS Q-LED in PRO vs only the LED for the DRAM in the non-pro variant(not sure about this though).
3. Intel 82579 Gigabit Ethernet Controller in PRO vs the Realtek Rtl8111E Gigabit Lan Controller in the non-pro variant.
4. The PRO variant has the ASUS Q-Shield. Helps to protects the motherboard against static electricity.
I know, its little more expensive but it's worth it. Think it more of as a future proof configuration.

stormblast said:
xms3 would fit, but you sure if the ripjaws fit? cause in the amd x6 setup they dont with the noctua
It should AFAIK.

SB bundled coolers are barely better than crap. An aftermarket cooler would help with temps for sure.

While I probably don't have much insight to offer, you probably should investigate Gigabyte boards as well. (The one negative is that they don't do UEFI, I think)

stalker said:
SB bundled coolers are barely better than crap. An aftermarket cooler would help with temps for sure.

While I probably don't have much insight to offer, you probably should investigate Gigabyte boards as well. (The one negative is that they don't do UEFI, I think)
yes as ive mentioned i am gonna get the noctua u12p se2, just wanted to know which 1 is bundled.

i have always preferred gigabyte over asus and its no different on this platform. only downside as i have said is ps2 slots. i am still quite keen on the ud4, any idea of pricing and availability in mumbai.

Hades. said:
^Small one...
The reviews seem to suggest that the 2600K is bundled with the DHX-B tower-type cooler. Not sure if they were only for reviews though.

The biggest downside with the Gigabyte boards are the number of SATA ports on the board. Only the UD7 offers 8 ports - the rest 6. The P8P67 itself bundles 8 ports.

Gannu said:
The reviews seem to suggest that the 2600K is bundled with the DHX-B tower-type cooler. Not sure if they were only for reviews though.

The biggest downside with the Gigabyte boards are the number of SATA ports on the board. Only the UD7 offers 8 ports - the rest 6. The P8P67 itself bundles 8 ports.

as hades pointed out its bundled with small heatsink. i think tower was only for reviewers.
My requirement is a single sata port. thats it. never going to add more. not going to add more gpus also. dont care abt expansion or esata slots either.

only important thing is that it should be stable and solid when ocd under load 24/7. i am not convinced 100% about asus so trying to look past the 2 ps2 port requirement and may get a pci card for it.

maybe some current users of p8p67, p8p67pro, ud3 & ud4 can shed some light on how the boards are handling ocd chips 24/7

also suggest some gpu as per the requirement

there doesnt seem to be any stock of ud4, and the price of p8p67 vanilla is around 10.5k which i thought was selling for around 9.5k. so i guess it does make sense to spend 1500 more and opt for the pro.

anyways the problem now is that there doesnt seem to be stock of 2600k in mumbai which is why i was quoted a price of 19.5k for just the cpu from 2 different dealers.

any idea if i can get it for around 16.5-17k here in mumbai somewhere.

need to pick it up in this week.

If you get an H50 or H70 for cheap go for it...

I know Noctua NH-D14 is much better than H50, But I am quite happy with my H50...

Also you wont face any RAM problems with these coolers...

Cause they dont come in the way at all...(I am using GSkill Trident they are really tall)

But I suggest H50 only if you r getting it cheap...(Like 3k)

thinking about this gpu.

MSI R5450-MD1GH ATI Radeon 1GB DDR3

any other options?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ok here is what i have pretty much finalized. any last minute changes are welcome.

Intel 2600k + Asus p8p67 pro

Noctua u12p se2

Corsair xms3 1600 (9-9-9-24) 4gb x 4

NZXT Gamma + Corsair vx450

Coolermaster 4 x 120mm fan pack

Seagate Baracuda 500gb

Msi R5450-MD1GH 1gb ddr3

Viewsonic vx1937wm (only 16:10 ratio 19" lcd i could find, are there any others available locally)

Let me know the pricing also stormy

[mod]SMS Lingo not allowed. Post edited. Please refrain from using SMS lingo in future posts[/mod]

Rahul, is the 2600K worth it? How much are you being charged for it anyway? I am not sure if the additional price is worth it since clock-to-clock the 2500K should perform a notch less than the 2600K save for the added 2MB L3 cache and hyperthreading.

I am not sure of the requirements of the system either. Don't think you have mentioned it before.

Back