27" 1080p or 27" 1440p monitor for PS4 (NON-pro)?!

Kilroyquasar

4 seconds, inhale; 4 seconds, exhale.
Skilled
hello,

need advice on what resolution monitor should i get if i am gaming on the PS4 (NON-pro) hooked to it [will be getting a curved one].

on one hand i have the option of a 27" 1080p monitor, VA panel, upto 165Hz refresh-rate, with 1500R curvature

or

a 27" 1440p monitor, VA panel, upto 144Hz refresh-rate, with 1800R curvature

price-difference between the two is a good 4.5k (the latter being the costlier one).

i'll be gaming on the PC too on the same monitor, but less than with on the PS4. my PC has i7-2600k processor & Zotac GTX 1060 6GB, which i dont plan to upgrade anytime soon, given my usecase (less usage for gaming than the console).

i can put up with some non-sharp imagery & reading on the PC with a 27" 1080p monitor, so inclined a bit towards that as against the 1440p alternative (the price-difference too is a bit significant, esp so as i dont plan to upgrade neither my PC nor the console anytime in the near-future, so the 1440p monitor would remain under-utilised as well as the GTX 1060 wont be able to push better framerates at that higher resolution at high/highest settings).

so for now my main concern is how will PS4 games look on 1440p...i mostly read people not happy about it with only very few telling they couldnt tell much difference or that they werent bothered much by it.

pls suggest..

TIA.

simple straight quick answer! :grinning:
personal experience i guess?
Not exactly personal experience but this is from reading on web when I bought PS4 Slim first and then upgraded to PS4 Pro. In general base PS4 is good for 1080p30. It would upscale beyond that - there is a point made on web that 1080p might not be native in some games.

Also given, your other points like no upgrade planned on PC or Console side, current PC config, etc would better utilize 1080p IMO.

I am going to stay on 1080p for a while myself !

there is a point made on web that 1080p might not be native in some games.

yes that too!

so seems 1080p it is then; thanks a lot!

(hope someone with experience playing old PS4 on 1440p screen too could pour in their thoughts..)

is it a good idea to buy a renewed (refurbished) monitor from amazon? it though will come with only 6-month *seller*-warranty.
effective price-difference between refurbished piece & new piece is 5.5k, with the latter having the usual full 3-yrs warranty.

is it a good idea to buy a renewed (refurbished) monitor from amazon? it though will come with only 6-month *seller*-warranty.
effective price-difference between refurbished piece & new piece is 5.5k, with the latter having the usual full 3-yrs warranty.
what monitor ?

Samsung CRG50, 27" 240Hz; available as new as well as renewed.
I don't think your current config will be enough to get FPS to match the 240hz. Also, the PS4 doesn't need a monitor higher than 1080p. As for text not looking sharp on a 27" 1080p, it looks sharp enough to me. I have a 27" Benq. I also sit around 1.5 - 2 feet away from the monitor so make of that what you will.

Not worth the risk. 3 years warranty is good coverage

I don't think your current config will be enough to get FPS to match the 240hz. Also, the PS4 doesn't need a monitor higher than 1080p. As for text not looking sharp on a 27" 1080p, it looks sharp enough to me. I have a 27" Benq. I also sit around 1.5 - 2 feet away from the monitor so make of that what you will.

yes, as closest as possible would be fine too as of now.

This probably kills it.

exactly. and they use the services of some 3rd party agencies/sellers for this 'renewal' work.

Back