2GB or 4GB RAM?

Aercy

Patron
I am building a system for using 1 year only. It's going to have a Phenom II Quad Core & ATI HD 5770. The system will be gaming purpose & I shall play games such as GTA IV, SC: Convictions, AC2 etc @ highest possible settings on 19" Monitor @1440x900 res.

Should I go for 2GB RAM or 4GB RAM? I will stick to DDR2 cuz I won't use any components from this system for the next one after a year.

1x 2GB DDR2,
2x 1GB DDR2
or 2 x 2GB?

I want GTA IV to run as smoothly as possible.

well i play most games at 1920x1080 and have 2gb ram without any problem ! but 4gb ram will be recommended ! if you have a very tight budget then buy 2gb otherwise 4gb is the way to go !

buddingwhizkid said:
well i play most games at 1920x1080 and have 2gb ram without any problem ! but 4gb ram will be recommended ! if you have a very tight budget then buy 2gb otherwise 4gb is the way to go !
Thanks for the reply.

if u are using win xp then 2GB will do just fine but if u are going to use win 7 or win vista then 4 gb will definitely improve the performance of you'r pc . As you mentioned in your post that u just want to use this pc for only a year then why don't you buy some second hand ram memory from techenclave members market .

Test Results: Single Vs. Dual Channel RAM : Parallel Processing, Part 2: RAM and HDD
Conclusion : Parallel Processing, Part 2: RAM and HDD

But back to RAM and hard drives. As expected, the performance difference between single channel and dual channel DDR2-800 memory using an up-to-date Core 2 Duo system Compare Prices on Core 2 Duo Processors is little to nil, depending on the benchmark - most tests show differences, but they are really small. For games and enthusiast PCs, we recommend sticking to high-performance dual channel RAM, because the memory is one of those components that you want to perform best for a smooth experience. For regular applications, though, it doesn’t really matter much whether you run single or dual channel. Two 1 GB DIMMs typically are cheaper than a single 2 GB module, but a single DIMM will reduce your power consumption by several watts (which might just be more interesting than it is important).

aercy said:
I am building a system for using 1 year only. It's going to have a Phenom II Quad Core & ATI HD 5770. The system will be gaming purpose & I shall play games such as GTA IV, SC: Convictions, AC2 etc @ highest possible settings on 19" Monitor @1440x900 res.

Should I go for 2GB RAM or 4GB RAM? I will stick to DDR2 cuz I won't use any components from this system for the next one after a year.

1x 2GB DDR2,
2x 1GB DDR2
or 2 x 2GB?

I want GTA IV to run as smoothly as possible.
If it is GTA IV it has to be 2 * 2 GB, I can easily see my system going around 2.5 GB with this game running.(though my graphics memory is 1 GB too)

So 2 * 2 it is, no second thoughts about it.

atheistindian said:
if ur operating system is 32 bit then u cant use 4gb
in case of win7 64 bit then i recommend u to buy 2 x 2gb
Not necessarily.the limitation of a 32-bit OS is that it can't allocate more than 2gB of memory for a process.So if u are using xp with 2+gb of RAm u will only see about 2.7 gb of useful RAm coz the rest 700 mb is reserved for windows kernel.win 7 ultimate 64-bit supports 128 gb ram max.so if u are planning to use this for 1 year i would suggest to go for 2x2 GB ddr2 or 2+1 GB ram if u are planning to use xp.1yr later u can sell them off without much of a loss as ddr2 will be near extinct by then and the price of 2ndhand ddr2 ram will be more than that of new ddr3:D

Back