Car & Bike 2nd hand Linea Diesel vs Swift Petrol - which one?

^^ You should ask the owner for service records. For your complete satisfaction, get his copy verified from Fiat. As long as that minor accident didn't cause any structural damages to the car, it is safe to drive. This incident shows that owner is at least honest/reliable in divulging accident related info. Generally, people don't go to ASC if the vehicle they want to sell off is met with major accident. They get it repaired thru private garages so that the incident down't show up on service records and the insurance guys are also kept in the dark. Such vehicles are unsafe to drive.

If the Linea owner is a nice guy, he should get a complete service done for you. Based on your relation with him, you may ask him about it.

I didn't like the Dezire option because this car rattles a lot after some time. And this one is already so much on the odo. You may need to shell out around 20K, if the tires are worn out. Is it petrol version?

hm..I guess I will explore it further then..lets see what service records shows.

Also, tires were recently changed on the car, so tires are okay..its the petrol engine, but feel like, being a company car, it must have been mishandled...

Fiat engines are bought and used by both TATA and Maruti. I have personally driven both Linea and Dzire and ride quality wise Linea is great. However like Cranky mentioned, there are big blind spots. If you are the kinda driver who needs a higher driving position, then the Linea is not suitable.
Maruti makes the diesel engines themselves, they just have a licensing agreement with Fiat. I actually felt visibility was better in the Linea than the Swift - but this could be because the variant I've driven has height adjustable seats. Not sure why, but I feel like the windows in the Swift seem small/short, I guess the glass area is not as much and it feels a bit claustrophobic.

I had been running from pillar to post trying to get an original clutch plate for my Palio for the last six months.
Checked 99rpm.com?

Even if say both the linea and the swift were driven @ 30000kms each, there is still no debating that the linea is a different class car as compared to the swift.
80k driven is way too much bro. Honestly i think you should chalk that out right away. But then the linea diesel is not the ideal car to learn how to drive ether. Also an avg of 9 for a swift is piss poor and only reflects on the condition of the car.

For eg, these options should be your first at your budget:
http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-kolkata/fiat-grandepunto-S395303/
http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-kolkata/chevrolet-beat-D465150/

Im honestly not an expert at used cars but you shouldnt trust anything thats driven above 30k kms.

p.s: my personal opinion, get an el-cheapo under a lac car (sedan). Drive it for a year, move to something better.....

Checked 99rpm.com?

You are a life saver Eddy. The part was available with Fiat but the only problem was that they didn't have mechanics trained in Palio. The Tata partnership did more bad than good as the local authorised service station gave preference to Tata cars. Infact they straight up refused to work on my car. Also there prices were exorbitant. The agency we bought our car from went out of business so even though our car still gets serviced by trained mechanics, the parts were becoming a lot of problem.
Just 2 days ago I got the clutch plate changed and they charged 4000 as labor whereas my mechanic just charges 1200.
I have to get the shock absorbers changed and this site will see a lot of business from me in the coming months. Have you used their services. Just to be sure, I am gonna call them beforehand and make sure the part is readily available.

[OT]

^ No I haven't, since there's no trouble sourcing parts for our Linea. But recently @bottle has been buying most of his stuff from them for his Palio. I think he's had a good experience with them. Where do you stay? Fiat's new exclusive service stations have apparently been given a directive to start taking Palios, so if there is one open/opening near you, you might start getting better service. But mechanical stuff is pretty straight forward, its only the electronics that might need trained mechanics. Check the PalioUsersIndia yahoo group (you're probably on it already?), if there are enough fiat owners where you stay there might be a good third party mechanic they all use.

[/OT]

Last edited by a moderator:
[OT]

^ No I haven't, since there's no trouble sourcing parts for our Linea. But recently @bottle has been buying most of his stuff from them for his Palio. I think he's had a good experience with them. Where do you stay? Fiat's new exclusive service stations have apparently been given a directive to start taking Palios, so if there is one open/opening near you, you might start getting better service. But mechanical stuff is pretty straight forward, its only the electronics that might need trained mechanics. Check the PalioUsersIndia yahoo group (you're probably on it already?), if there are enough fiat owners where you stay there might be a good third party mechanic they all use.

[/OT]

Yes, the new Fiat exclusive service station is where I got the clutch plate changed. However trained mechanics are necessary. These guys couldn't even take the battery out properly and ripped off the insulation of one of the battery connecting wires.
Fiat Anbros was the agency that we used to get our car serviced from in Chandigarh. Then the owner decided to lease his space to a mall and though he still operates a workshop, it is not an official Fiat service station. I get my car serviced from them because they still have the best trained on Palio staff. The mechanic who works on our car has been servicing it for 8 years and we only let him work on it. So the only problem was of genuine spare parts, which you have provided me a solution with.
I am not on the Yahoo group because I just started taking care of the car last year. It is my Dad's car and he used to be the one in charge till last year. It does sound like the place to be for Palio owners and I will definitely look into that.
Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
But then the linea diesel is not the ideal car to learn how to drive ether.

Please don't discourage OP. There's no such thing as a "best car to learn driving."

My neighbors learnt to drive on hatchback and after 8 years with various hatchbacks, they are afraid to drive a full size sedan now. They just can't back up a normal sized sedan without banging up its boot.

I learnt to drive on GMC Yukon AT in US. Then I drove all sorts of left + right hand drive cars and actual trucks (not pick-ups) in many countries around the world. Most of them were rental cars (that means I couldn't have picked up cars of my liking everytime). I never felt the issue of blind spots due to A, B or C pillars in any of the cars because I never learnt to drive with a stiff body. I drive a diesel MT in India everyday without any ill effects of the cars I drove earlier.

All I want to say is that it's not the car but the people on the road who make your life miserable as a driver.

Im honestly not an expert at used cars but you shouldnt trust anything thats driven above 30k kms.

Diesels are meant to be run for longer distances and 30K is nothing for a diesel engine.

Please don't discourage OP. There's no such thing as a "best car to learn driving."

My neighbors learnt to drive on hatchback and after 8 years with various hatchbacks, they are afraid to drive a full size sedan now. They just can't back up a normal sized sedan without banging up its boot.

I learnt to drive on GMC Yukon AT in US. Then I drove all sorts of left + right hand drive cars and actual trucks (not pick-ups) in many countries around the world. Most of them were rental cars (that means I couldn't have picked up cars of my liking everytime). I never felt the issue of blind spots due to A, B or C pillars in any of the cars because I never learnt to drive with a stiff body. I drive a diesel MT in India everyday without any ill effects of the cars I drove earlier.

All I want to say is that it's not the car but the people on the road who make your life miserable as a driver.

Diesels are meant to be run for longer distances and 30K is nothing for a diesel engine.

Well its nothing for a premium diesel like a laura or Vento, not so much the case with others/ Most diesel cars, barring out the current diesel engines take a beating around the 30-40k mark.

Bro 30k on the meter of deisel means only 30k driven?
1st- Anybody using Deisel car never ever turns off the engine / engine is generally way more used just than the meter because it is generally ON everytime even while waiting or whatever period u spend in the car while on road.

2nd-Meters are manipulated of all cars so it is no point judging car only by the meter.
U can check by checking pedals and clutch gear ...body and painted or not.
Everything matters

Still confused... Swift if out of picture cause of 80,000KMs on ODOMeter and 9KMPL mileage...is it? Linea looks shaky cause of driver seat not adjustable, low ground clearance, shaky service n all? :(

How about a Ritz:
http://kolkata.olx.in/maruti-suzuki...-and-adittional-central-locking-iid-531826852

Ritz seems like dependable car to drive?

Also, how about a VW JETTA!
http://kolkata.olx.in/volkswagen-jetta-diesel-top-model-in-superb-condition-iid-529643255
This looks like a good deal? If he agrees around 4L or something :p , although I am not sure of maintenance costs n all. He claims of around 14KMPL mileage :)

.I actually felt visibility was better in the Linea than the Swift - but this could be because the variant I've driven has height adjustable seats. Not sure why, but I feel like the windows in the Swift seem small/short, I guess the glass area is not as much and it feels a bit claustrophobic.
Actually I drove my Dad's Tyota Etios Diesel for a while and it had a good feedback and was comfortable to drive..this Linea however does not have height adjustable seats n all, so I guess I should check it off shortlist?

Even if say both the linea and the swift were driven @ 30000kms each, there is still no debating that the linea is a different class car as compared to the swift.
80k driven is way too much bro. Honestly i think you should chalk that out right away. But then the linea diesel is not the ideal car to learn how to drive ether. Also an avg of 9 for a swift is piss poor and only reflects on the condition of the car.

For eg, these options should be your first at your budget:
http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-kolkata/fiat-grandepunto-S395303/
http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-kolkata/chevrolet-beat-D465150/

p.s: my personal opinion, get an el-cheapo under a lac car (sedan). Drive it for a year, move to something better.....

Didn't like beat, but punto looks good... he is ready for giving it around 2L ...

You mean like a old honda city around 1.5L or Esteem for 1L :p[DOUBLEPOST=1374916256][/DOUBLEPOST]

That is what discourages me, I mean I ultimately want to get used to sedan cars.

40k is hardly anything for a fiat multijet provided the odo is not tampered.You can fit aftermarket music system.OE music system on linea is downright crap.

Make sure you have good service backup in your region.plus its not the best to drive in city with respect to its turning radius,heavy steering,long clutch travel,low rpm response etc.
Its perfect for open roads but you are not going to win any drags with it.

So, you are getting confused now.

1) Make a list of items that you "must" have in your car.
- You can add height adjustable driver seat, if you wish. I don't think we have many such options in Indian market.​
- Of all the cars you have shortlisted so far, check which one gets more points.​

2) Find out which companies have ASCs near your house or office. Go to the nearest local garages in your area and see what kind of vehicles they repair. You'll get an idea which car will be cheaper to service near you.

3) If you need the car for short distances, then a diesel doesn't make sense...? No, this would be a wrong assumption. You are not paying premium for a new diesel car and therefore, it doesn't matter to you pricewise. However, you'll see the difference right after buying it when you'd go out to refill it. A used petrol car will always pinch you.

4) If you are young, then your learning curve for moving from hatchback to a sedan will be smaller. My idea is that you should buy a little bit extra than your current needs.

5) In general, a low slung car is more stable on the road, but I am not asking you to go for Linea just for this reason. And if you are afraid of low ground clearance then a used City should never be on your list.

^ Your points are valid but they apply equally to used petrol cars as well :) I don't know about other petrol drivers, but I never turn off the engine every time I pause mainly because the AC compressor draws power from the engine. BTW its not how long its run but how often you turnover your engine that causes wear and tear. So if you're suggesting that petrol car owners turn their engines on and off all the time, then technically your argument is that the petrol engines are facing more wear and tear ;)

Anybody using Deisel car never ever turns off the engine / engine is generally way more used just than the meter because it is generally ON everytime even while waiting or whatever period u spend in the car while on road.

I drive a petrol car which delivers an average of 9 km/l in the city, if I drive with a light foot.

I never ever turn off my engine while I'm in the car. Modern cars use engine power to operate steering, brakes, AC and almost all lighting and safety systems. The car is rendered inoperable when the engine is switched off, and this should be done only when parked, with the parking brake applied or if you are stuck in standstill traffic for over 5 minutes.

Your argument that petrol car owners shut off their engines in traffic is incorrect. It depends on who the owner is, what their habits and behaviour is, the climate of the city in question, and other things that have nothing to do with the kind of fuel used. Someone who is conscious of fuel saving and consumption will do it, and one who isn't won't. None of us are qualified to discuss what kind of person the owner of the Linea is.

And as Eddy pointed out, turning over an engine produces maximum strain. A motor is much happier gurgling at idle than being asked to constantly stop and start. Starting wears down the electricals, the starter, the battery and the fuel pump. Spinning up from idle is where maximum motor failures occur, be it in your hard disk or your car. That is the nature of every motor.

There are huge misconceptions about diesel engines among the buying public. A modern diesel or petrol engine (and yes, the Linea uses one of the best engines in the country) can easily hit over 200k with only routine service and replacements before needing a rebuild. The problem with used cars is usually never the engine, but everything else - the state of the suspension, bodywork, tyres and electricals. Those things don't hold up as well as an engine, and are better indicators of the quality of maintenance.

Back