Audio 3.5mm jack connections - Help!

Haddock

Adept
can someone help me with 3.5mm male & female wire connections.

with a diagram would be helpful :D

i've bought this cable
21hdm923klsl500aa300.jpg

now, i want to cut the wire in middle, then attach the male end to Speaker end, & female end to table (audio wire enclosed in table & runs to rear of PC cabinet, there i'll use another same cable & attach to rear audio port).

tell me which wire connects which part in that male pin & also in female pin, from speaker (two wire)

All audio cables will have 3 Cables internally. Left Right and Ground.

Left is normally Red, Right is Green, Ground is Golden.

Cut the cable, connect one speaker to Red/Golden and the other to Green/Golden.

NOTE: Most headphone cables, when you cut will not have any rubber shielding around them, as they are painted(even the golden). If you need to make electrical contact, you will need to strip the paint off with a blade(scrape lightly) and then solder/twist together.

WHY not buy just the connectors and make the desired cable , that would be easier and trustworthy !

check wikipedia for TRS stereo jacks

thanks guys, tried to find just the connectors, but could only get female ports, not the males.

portm.jpg

btw, which ring is for mic. in the above cable? :D

nitant said:
If you need to make electrical contact, you will need to strip the paint off with a blade(scrape lightly) and then solder/twist together.

another method is to burn the tips of the wires. The paint generally burns off leaving behind naked wiring.

I recently fixed the wire for one of the earphones i had with the jack from another earphone. I used elfy instead of solder to hold the connections in place since it was less messy. The joint is strong enough that i am sure if i pull hard the wire will not break from the joint area.

@Haddock

all the piks that you have posted are for connectors with mic input as well. so there will be 4 connections running inside when you strip the wire.

portmu.jpg

Mic and ground connections can be other way round too, depending on if the connector is for samsung/nokia or apple/htc etc

^.+1, yeah those are TRRS connectors ..they are hard to find ...also the female you got must be the TRS ..( check how many connectors it has :) )

your only choice is to cut and fix ! ( or , burn and fix your connections ) ,

thank you so much for the pictorial friend :D

one small doubt, as I'm gonna connect these to the fat speaker wire, is it advisable to use the 3.5mm extension (shown above), or should i get the "push button/spring connectors" ?

331402.jpg

I've done a small "PC Table mod", enclosing all the wires, integrating card reader, usb hub onto the table itself :p, so i want to know which is better solution.

what type of connection do the front speakers from creative /logitech come with? loose ends or with a 3.5mm jack?

currently using a HP 30W / 50W(dunno pwr output :p), i'll switch to a logitech/Creative 5.1 speaker next year.

HP wires are factory attached, only one 3.5mm jack goes to audio port, Subwoofer has a 3.5mm jack & connects behind the speaker.

Haddock said:
what type of connection do the front speakers from creative /logitech come with? loose ends or with a 3.5mm jack?

most amped speaker systems will come with jacks at the end of wires.

But for the kind of mod you are doing i prolly would remove the jacks and go with the push button clamp because it will be much easier to setup(Soldering those 3.5 mm jacks/sockets is irritating) + you'll have a hard time finding good quality female 3.5 mm connector in india. Best option will be to rip them from old hardware.

If you are using high end speakers then take into account the impact that multiple connections will have on the sound quality. Also dont forget to put some extra solder on the copper connectors in the wire if you use button clamp option.

strategy said:
WHY not buy just the connectors and make the desired cable , that would be easier and trustworthy !

check wikipedia for TRS stereo jacks
Yea,bought a similar wire,from electronic store,but my was a 3.5mm female to male av ports.to connect my computer speakers to my tv.

banda said:
most amped speaker systems will come with jacks at the end of wires.
But for the kind of mod you are doing i prolly would remove the jacks and go with the push button clamp because it will be much easier to setup(Soldering those 3.5 mm jacks/sockets is irritating) + you'll have a hard time finding good quality female 3.5 mm connector in india. Best option will be to rip them from old hardware.

If you are using high end speakers then take into account the impact that multiple connections will have on the sound quality. Also dont forget to put some extra solder on the copper connectors in the wire if you use button clamp option.
you're right about 3.5mm jack & soldering :D

the one i bought (pic above) has three naked painted copper wires = p.i.t.a to solder & lower strength due to thin wires.

anyways, i thought of using molex connectors :p for connections, & also bought 2 spring type speaker connectors (Rs.7 each) :D
havent decided on connectors yet.

looking for a simple solution, say in future if i have to use this HP speaker for other purpose, then it should be easier to connect "Left spkr to Right".
I have cut the wire, for now using spring connctr for connecting "L" to "R" spkr.

speakerconntr.jpg

table mod in beta stage:bleh:

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Put a wire inside the aluminium bars, connects left to right speaker stands (in final design - connectors behind the speaker stand :D )
tablebetastage.jpg

have to run other wires of speakers inside the Al. bars as extensions, tiresome work.

Back