3d movies brightness

Hacker

Skilled
Came back watching transformers 3d with only one thing in mind that the brightness was just too low. Same thing happened with pirates 3d. I cannot really enjoy 3d movies with the pathetic brightness.
Is something wrong with my eyes bcoz my friends are not complaining say that nothingz wrong with the brightness.

I noticed it too while watching Pirates and few other movies .A lot of 3D movies with the glasses look very dull and the dark scenes are too dark to enjoy . Remove the glasses and the picture looks much brighter.

Makes me wonder if I should watch Transformers III in 3D or 2D :S.

^ Watch Transformers III in 3D only. The intro Bikini scene:D of Rosie Huntington in 3D is like facing her arse on your face.:rofl:

BTW, 3D movies brightness are always dark. But heard that the brightness for the 3D version has been increased and definately the brightness was better in T3 than the Pirates.

I think the 3D glasses cut waay too much light. Watched Green Lantern some time back and felt it was a bit too dark for my tastes.

Usually the glasses are the culprit in most of the cases. Recently for Kung fu Panda 3D the brightness was very low and when I took my friends glasses it was fine. So I changed the glasses and it was as good as it should be.

the glasses do cut allot of light and the screens do not compensate for that sadly. If you buy a 3D monitor for eg their brightness levels are way more than standard monitor in order to compensate for the glasses.

The Active Shutter glasses will cut more light than the passive/polarized glasses. Even I had noticed that 3D movies, due to the glasses suffer from low-brightness and sometimes even bit washed out colors. However, I watched Transformers in IMAX 3D where the experience was much better. Sure the glasses did cut some light, but it wasn't noticeable as much as I've noticed in other cinema screens. Either the glasses were better or IMAX must have better projectors with pumped up brightness for 3D.

^ Hmmm.... I think the post-processing as mentioned in that article could be one of the reason, why I felt the Transformers 3 in IMAX 3D was much better experience than some of the recent 3D crapfests of movies. Even with glasses on the picture was bright enough and the colors didn't look washed out. Kudos to Michael Bay (and to IMAX) for making my money worth. :)

iGo said:
^ Hmmm.... I think the post-processing as mentioned in that article could be one of the reason, why I felt the Transformers 3 in IMAX 3D was much better experience than some of the recent 3D crapfests of movies. Even with glasses on the picture was bright enough and the colors didn't look washed out. Kudos to Michael Bay (and to IMAX) for making my money worth. :)
It's not just that. There are different locations in the projection chain that brightness in 3D is lost.

All movie projectors are supposed to project at about 16 foot-Lamberts with no film. (That is the peak brightness measurement suggested by MPAA). With film in the projector, that hits 14 foot-Lamberts.

In case of 3D, because 2 images are shown, the brightness automatically falls to half that. (7 foot-Lamberts). Polarising / Shutter glasses drop this further, and you hit 4-5 foot-Lamberts, which is the range of lower end home projectors.

The reason some 3D movies look better in some IMAX theatres is because they use 2 projectors for showing 3D movies, so the intensity is not cut to half and you end up seeing the image at ~10 foot-Lamberts.

Another reason this might be a larger issue is that quite a few of us would have grown up seeing movies in older theaters/theaters in small towns that sometimes still use carbon arc projectors. Those theaters actually ran movies at 18 foot-Lamberts or higher so that people watching it would see a nice "pop" in colour in-spite of the washed out look. (Just like how glossy displays are very enticing at first viewing).

^ Very true... that's the reason I credited even IMAX peeps. This wasn't the first IMAX 3D movie I experienced, but it was definitely a notch above. I'm as fed up as the next guy with this whole 3D craze, but a well made 3D movie in a properly set cinema screen is any day worth spending on than crappy, 3D-processed movie in bad theater for cheap tickets. Another good 3D experience I can recollect was Resident Evil 4. The movie was shot in 3D, with the obvious downsides of 3D considered and rectified to some extent (Brighter sets instead of regular dark environments of RE1 & 2, well thought out action scenes to maximize on 3D etc.). Too bad the movie itself wasn't that good, but it was definitely fun watching it in IMAX 3D.

I prayed that decepticons should kill this 3D experience rather than fighting those bikini girl , after watching T3 in 3 D .

Back