Storage Solutions 4-5k ssd

Striker10

Skilled
Hi guys, now that I have uninterrupted power supply for my amd desktop . I'm planning to go for a ssd. My mobo is still an old sata2 model and no issues till date.

Budget is 4-5k .. 64gb should be enough for win7 plus some basic programs. Please suggest one which is supported by good service in case of repairs and need minimum 2 years of reliability :) ! Thanks

SATA2 ports will bottleneck the SSD. You need SATA3 to utilize the full speeds of an SSD. I suggest you save you money.

I am yet to switch to an SSD myself, but I have read up a bit about it and I'm quite surprised with the advice you gave above.

You seem to be implying that there's absolutely no performance benefit whatsoever from buying a Sata 3 drive and using it on a Sata 2 mobo. I respectfully disagree with you.

True, a Sata 3 SSD may face a bottleneck on a Sata 2 connector, but the I/O performance boost he will get from replacing his current mechanical drive with an SSD should be HUGE even if it runs at slower Sata 2 speeds.

In any case, the OP hasn't mentioned anywhere that he wants a Sata 3 SSD specifically. Whats to stop him from buying a Sata 2 drive instead?

I would still advise the OP to buy a Sata 3 drive though, so that its somewhat "future proof" for if/when he does eventually upgrade his mobo.

Maybe I'm wrong with my assessment in which case one of the "Storage Gurus" on TE can correct me.

Last edited:
Thanks for that hitesh12. :)
Here's the conclusion from that article. I bolded the interesting bits and underlined what I thought were critical ones -

"In most cases, a SATA 3Gb/s-attached Samsung 840 Pro is almost as fast as the same drive connected to a 6 Gb/s link.
The 840 Pro soared in our synthetic tests when we had it hooked up to a 6 Gb/s port. It also fell flat several times when we hamstrung it using SATA 3Gb/s. When we specifically targeted sequential reads and writes, along with random I/O at high queue depths, the differences were especially pronounced. But once we started through our handful of real-world tasks, booting up and shutting down Windows 8, and loading a number of applications, the differences shrank to almost nothing. The deltas we did measure wouldn't be perceptible during your day-to-day grind.

Because the synthetic benchmarks deliberately push workloads designed to flesh out the differences between extremely-fast devices, but are seldom seen in a desktop environment, they don't correlate to the more common tasks you perform.
Random I/O is important to measure, but there's a fair chance that you'll never see a queue depth of 32.

We can now answer the question of whether you need available SATA 6Gb/s ports to justify an SSD upgrade. Clearly, you're still going to see plenty of benefit from solid-state storage, even if you're using a 3 Gb/s connector. In the real world, a 3 Gb/s interface doesn't bottleneck common applications. It's only when you push the technology's limits using synthetic benchmarks, server/workstation-oriented workloads, or large SSD-to-SSD transfers that 6 Gb/s signaling kicks into gear.

The real key is getting an SSD into your machine. Just have a look at what happens when our 840 Pro goes up against the fastest desktop hard drive we've ever benchmarked, Western Digital's ValociRaptor. The disk didn't stand a chance in any of our synthetic or real-world tests."

Hi guys, now that I have uninterrupted power supply for my amd desktop . I'm planning to go for a ssd. My mobo is still an old sata2 model and no issues till date.

Budget is 4-5k .. 64gb should be enough for win7 plus some basic programs. Please suggest one which is supported by good service in case of repairs and need minimum 2 years of reliability :) ! Thanks
Stay with Corsair and Samsung. Don't look at others, either they have awful A.S.S (kingston, adata for example) or non-existent in India (plextor for example)
btw I would recommend spending a little more get 120/128 gb ssd.[DOUBLEPOST=1389178214][/DOUBLEPOST]@Rickyk
Happy to help :)

Last edited:
This is so good. Finally some discussions :) For some reasons I'm unable to open the tom's hardware link but will definitaly give it a read later. If SATA2 is as good, then get one. Skipping Kingston, a Corsair Neutron 64 GB SSD costs ~5700 at flipkart and a Samsung 840 120 GB SSD costs just 900 bucks more. If you can wait and extend your budget, Samsung 840 120 GB is the way to go.

Will gate back after reading TH article.

thanks for your replies! Useful info.. Just wondering about Kingston ssds as these may be enough for my use. Please let me know which one to go in kongston

just my 2 cents, my bro has a 60 GB SSD, every day he cries of low space.. its better to get 120 GB.. I mean totally depends upon your usage but be careful about 60 GB.. If you left with 10 GB free space, you will be always low on space to load new softwares..[DOUBLEPOST=1389197581][/DOUBLEPOST]have u had a look at SSHDs - have a read http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1190

For 69USD there is a Kingston 120GB offer in Amazon and Newegg.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B00A1ZTZOG?tag=techbargainszd-20
Not worth it IMO. Better to buy something in warranty[DOUBLEPOST=1389198692][/DOUBLEPOST]
thanks for your replies! Useful info.. Just wondering about Kingston ssds as these may be enough for my use. Please let me know which one to go in kongston
Get corsair instead. Trust me, you wouldn't wanna face awful service in case of a problem

Back