1. Yes
Remaining Warranty Period
none
Invoice Available?
No
Reason for Sale
Upgrade
Hello everyone,
Up for sale is a 4 TB NVME SSD. Pulled out from a server recently.
Note that this is a 22110 and might NOT fit all laptops due to slightly longer size. 15 days testing warranty from my side.

PS - Bought it for upgrading PS5 ssd but later came to know that it supports only gen 4. :(

Recently bought a Crucial 4tb 2280 NVME SSD for 15.5k from Amazon with the help of @GuruGulabKhatri .
This might need a price correction given it's warranty status.

Recently bought a Crucial 4tb 2280 NVME SSD for 15.5k from Amazon with the help of @GuruGulabKhatri .
This might need a price correction given it's warranty status.
Thanks for the info.
I have priced it after considering the present market price of same being 20K.

Shows 15,250/- on my phone

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240119_225425_Amazon.jpg
    Screenshot_20240119_225425_Amazon.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 152
Buyer need to be aware that this drive is 22110 format so will require a pcie adapter card supporting this specific format which also means it can't be used as a boot drive on older systems (like pre-ryzen era).
I had almost bought this one till i noticed the low TBW rating of 800tb, @joy.das.jd would you happen to know tbw rating for your drive ?
TBW rating is just a number, it only depends on your luck whether you will write 2-3 times that limit on the drive or 5-6 times.

Buyer need to be aware that this drive is 22110 format so will require a pcie adapter card supporting this specific format which also means it can't be used as a boot drive on older systems (like pre-ryzen era).

TBW rating is just a number, it only depends on your luck whether you will write 2-3 times that limit on the drive or 5-6 times.
No, TBW rating is not just a number. Some like Intel SSDs have their controllers programmed in way that they lock the drive in read only modes once you reach the rated TBW, despite the fact that NAND can take more writes. In this case no one knows how the firmware is gonna behave once the rated TBW number is reached. It's always good to have a drive with higher TBW as it kinda reflects the confidence the manufacturer has in its product. So, it's not just a number.

No, TBW rating is not just a number. Some like Intel SSDs have their controllers programmed in way that they lock the drive in read only modes once you reach the rated TBW, despite the fact that NAND can take more writes. In this case no one knows how the firmware is gonna behave once the rated TBW number is reached. It's always good to have a drive with higher TBW as it kinda reflects the confidence the manufacturer has in its product. So, it's not just a number.
TBW is just a number, there is no science/logic that can precisely calculate at what limit the nand cells will die after repeated writing. Maybe intel does program their firmware to lock ssd once TBW is reached but no other ssd manufacturer does as far as I know. TBW number is just decided on the basis of discussion between sales marketing division & tech dept estimating the potential no. of failures under warranty along with extra sales depending on free bragging rights of higher TBW rating. Newmaxx on reddit is probably the top most ssd expert online outside of those who are actually involved in research/design of ssd & he often tell to ignore TBW & go by the type of flash chips used in ssd as well as the controller capabilities.
Where did you find this info? I could only find that TBW rating for PE6011 model (Which is U.2 Server Drive) not PE6110
These enterprise class ssd have their TBW measured in terms of drive writes per day (DWPD) which means how many times the entire drive size can be written in a day which for this drive seems to be 1 as per below ebay link meaning every day it can write 3.7TB per day every day for its warranty period which is 5 years. Op simplified this calculation to equivalent TBW (3.7*5*365).

TBW is just a number, there is no science/logic that can precisely calculate at what limit the nand cells will die after repeated writing. Maybe intel does program their firmware to lock ssd once TBW is reached but no other ssd manufacturer does as far as I know. TBW number is just decided on the basis of discussion between sales marketing division & tech dept estimating the potential no. of failures under warranty along with extra sales depending on free bragging rights of higher TBW rating. Newmaxx on reddit is probably the top most ssd expert online outside of those who are actually involved in research/design of ssd & he often tell to ignore TBW & go by the type of flash chips used in ssd as well as the controller capabilities.

These enterprise class ssd have their TBW measured in terms of drive writes per day (DWPD) which means how many times the entire drive size can be written in a day which for this drive seems to be 1 as per below ebay link meaning every day it can write 3.7TB per day every day for its warranty period which is 5 years. Op simplified this calculation to equivalent TBW (3.7*5*365).

In atleast three ways I shall try to reiterate that rated TBW is an important metric for consumers as well as manufacturers.
It's not just a number.

1. rated TBW = LIFE of SSD.
TBW is just a number, there is no science/logic that can precisely calculate at what limit the nand cells will die after repeated writing.
For a consumer in cases where manufacturer has equated the cell endurance to rated TBW, the drive controller doesn't accept any writes. So, rated TBW = LIFE of SSD.
Besides Intel, OEM drives from Kioxia and WD like XG6, SN730, SN810 also mark bad blocks (health goes down) in proportion to rated TBW. You can easily calculate the rated TBW by the health percentage for these drives. At the moment, I don't have idea what happens when health reaches 0 for WD and Kioxia.

2. rated TBW = implicit indicator of endurance/quality of flash
I do acknowledge the fact that we should base our decision more on controller and, NAND type. But, NAND flash come in different grades. Higher grade = higher P/E cycles (endurance).
It's difficult for consumer to get info about the grade of flash being used.
Higher grade flash is used in products which cater to a segment that needs drives that can do extensive writes, and as a result these drives also have higher TBW as manufacturer has more confidence in them. Enterprise write intensive drives with very high TBW are a good example.
So, in such cases higher rated TBW can also act as an indicator of quality of flash.

3. usefulness of a metric - more of a general reasoning
In order to determine the usefulness of a metric, one should equate all other parameters. After deciding on 'conspicous' hardware such as controller and, NAND type there are two SSDs by two brands with different TBW (ex. Phison E18 paired with Micron 176L TLC and same size and type of DRAM). Which one is a better buy for you?
And yes, I too sometimes read the reddit page of Newmaxx.

1. rated TBW = LIFE of SSD.
For a consumer in cases where manufacturer has equated the cell endurance to rated TBW, the drive controller doesn't accept any writes. So, rated TBW = LIFE of SSD.
Besides Intel, OEM drives from Kioxia and WD like XG6, SN730, SN810 also mark bad blocks (health goes down) in proportion to rated TBW. You can easily calculate the rated TBW by the health percentage for these drives. At the moment, I don't have idea what happens when health reaches 0 for WD and Kioxia.
A most basic TLC ssd from 2016 likely using bottom of the barrel flash & with a TBW rating of 30TB.
1705848482931.png

I don't know from where you are getting such info but nowhere a typical ssd locks itself after it has written TBW amt of data on it & I am pretty sure that if such ssd can cross TBW while still maintaining 58% health then likely most ssd nowadays can do better.

2. rated TBW = implicit indicator of endurance/quality of flash
I do acknowledge the fact that we should base our decision more on controller and, NAND type. But, NAND flash come in different grades. Higher grade = higher P/E cycles (endurance).
It's difficult for consumer to get info about the grade of flash being used.
Higher grade flash is used in products which cater to a segment that needs drives that can do extensive writes, and as a result these drives also have higher TBW as manufacturer has more confidence in them. Enterprise write intensive drives with very high TBW are a good example.
So, in such cases higher rated TBW can also act as an indicator of quality of flash.
This is just your assumption & mkt does not work solely on confidence in the first place else many companies would have been bankrupted by now solely based on the general ppl confidence in their products. There are good drives in the mkt with lower endurance & inferior drives with much higher endurance. You might have heard about samsung ssd & sandisk external ssd recent fiasco, both brands having top tier TBW rating as well as warranty.

3. usefulness of a metric - more of a general reasoning
In order to determine the usefulness of a metric, one should equate all other parameters. After deciding on 'conspicous' hardware such as controller and, NAND type there are two SSDs by two brands with different TBW (ex. Phison E18 paired with Micron 176L TLC and same size and type of DRAM). Which one is a better buy for you?
Search innogrit 5236 issue in google, many top tier ssd with top notch performance, TBW & warranty. I won't even see/consider the TBW rating while researching on any ssd (NVMe) nowadays let alone comparing two NVMe ssd using same flash/controller combo but having different TBW.

A most basic TLC ssd from 2016 likely using bottom of the barrel flash & with a TBW rating of 30TB.
We both are talking about two different relationships.
Let's get more technical
3 variables - rated TBW, Used Spare Threshold in %, Health in %
Two ways to relate these 3 -

a. Keep on writing, drive will record writes as TBW, some cells die - say 2% of total, drive increases the Used Spare Threshold to 2% and reduces health to (100-2) 98%.
This is how a lot or say most of drives relate these 3 variables where Used Spare Threshold % reflects in real the % of dead cells. In this case TBW was for warranty purpose only. The drive will work beyond rated TBW and this is what is happening with this Kingston SSD.

b. Keep on writing, drive will record writes as TBW, once TBW reaches 1% of rated TBW, drive increases the Used Spare Threshold to 1% and reduces health to (100-1) 99% even if no cells are dead.
Used Spare Threshold % reflects made-up % of dead cells and health is related to rated (or say set in firmware) TBW.
Once drive reaches 0% health, put in read only lock mode. I was talking about this case where manufacturer has equated the cell endurance to rated TBW.
Info about Kioxia, WD and other manufacturers that follow this 2nd relationship for some of their drives is not in public domain.

This is just your assumption & mkt does not work solely on confidence in the first place else many companies would have been bankrupted by now solely based on the general ppl confidence in their products.
I was talking about how TBW can be an implicit indicator and how I take higher warranty (in terms of higher rated TBW and longer duration) as a measure of the confidence that manufacturer has in its product and how it can be an indiactor for me of higher grade flash.
You might have heard about samsung ssd & sandisk external ssd recent fiasco, both brands having top tier TBW rating as well as warranty.
You are talking about what transpired later. Even enterprise products have several fiascos. I was talking about how rated TBW can be an important factor along with the crucial ones like controller, NAND type etc., for consumers before purchasing.
innogrit 5236
I am aware of it.
My converstaion with you is centred around countering your statement how TBW is just a number and should be ignored.

Last edited:
As a gaming drive which does more on reades and writes are strictly on updates, re-writes of 200 times is also fine IMO.
I was looking for a drive to attach on proxmox backup server to do daily backups, it does writes and rewrites of 50-60gb a day. weekly and monthly backups go into zfs.

Back