Video 40" LCD from US..help

hey guys,
i am at NY and i saw one deal y'day for Samsung Series 5 40" FullHD LCD for 549$. looks like a killing deal and i just have 10kg bag with me so i guess i should carry it with me.

anyone with customs exp.?
if i get it from US to here (emirates airlines and stop is via Dubai) then is there any risk that LCD might get damaged ?

please help... i am coming back on 25th of this month. so gotta grab this deal ..

Customs you should be OK with since 550 would roughly amount to 27k, anything upto 25k is duty free although not quite sure about the safety of the LCD in transit, perhaps you can contact emirates and see if they have any special carriage option or sepecific insurance for such item, i think BA offers it so Emirates should as well

well lcds are packed quite well ,so their shouldn't be any problem.most grey dealer who get it via flight from bangkok or MY.

but buying a US model means it cannot be used in india unless u have a 220v to 110v convertor which for a 40" the standard available convertor is rated upto 250watts costs about Rs600 to Rs800.
u will also need a PAL to NTSC convertor.

avi_avadhut said:
oh...it seems cons are more than pro..
Cons -
PAL / NTSC
110 / 240
Customs
saftey

Pro -
Price :)

is it worth to buy then? please advice

IMO no,if u use it has a monitor then yes.
well if u happen to drop by at dubai ,u could buy the tvs in there significantly cheaper then in india.

well, you mean to say i may get such better deal at Duabi also ?
i will be there only for transit and time i have is 3.5 hours so i can check at airport ...and Duabi use 110 or 240 and PAL or NTSC ?

do you think any quality problem may come due to converter ?

well...checked google and dubai has got 220v standards.
but i also checked some models here in US they mention 110-220 worldwide voltage , PAL/NTSC tuner..is this what you are mentioning ?

avi

avi_avadhut said:
i will be there only for transit and time i have is 3.5 hours so i can check at airport ...and Duabi use 110 or 240 and PAL or NTSC ?

but i also checked some models here in US they mention 110-220 worldwide voltage , PAL/NTSC tuner..is this what you are mentioning ?

avi

yes, some products have universal voltage range so you can use it here without any converter, same goes with NTSC/PAL, if it supports PAL then you can use it here

converter wont degrade the quality of your normal TV at all, am guessing u'll be using a STB to drive the TV

dont know about HD though, havent used

and DXB will be cheaper than India but definetly not as cheap as you are getting it in the US, especially when you are planning to pick it up from the airport

avi_avadhut said:

avi

well in dubai u get tvs sold in india which means they work with 110v upto 240v,both pal/ntsc/secam etc which means it can work in any part of the world.

yes it won't be as cheap as the tvs sold in US or china ,but significantly cheaper then india.

hey adder..thx man for help.
let me call airline and check about any insurance etc. if by paying 50-100$ i get safety then let me try that otherwise i will try to find something at Dubai Airport.

Back