Video 40''+ lcd tv

rASCAL

Disciple
am pretty new to this lcd tvs and stuff..

i wanted some suggestions for a 26'' one sometime back and no one answered..

now i need a 40'' one or maybe bigger..

saw the samsung one but was'nt that impressed....

budget is around 70k - 80 k

one more thing i wanted to know was that should i make a htpc and attach it to the tv with tata sky...

if not so how should i go about it..

my max budget is 15k-20k for the htpc..

please help me out here ...

Use a HTPC if you
1. are going to capture TV broadcasts
2. have a huge movie / song collection and don't want to burn them to discs
3. prefer the diy approach.
Else a DVD player with MPEG4, USB, Memory Card & HDMI support will suffice.

For a HTPC consider this config
AMD X2 4000+
Asus M2NPV-VM
Hauppauge PVR 250 + MCE Remote
HDD > 250 GB
The rest of the stuff you decide

mod-the-pc said:
Use a HTPC if you

1. are going to capture TV broadcasts

2. have a huge movie / song collection and don't want to burn them to discs

3. prefer the diy approach.

Else a DVD player with MPEG4, USB, Memory Card & HDMI support will suffice.

For a HTPC consider this config

AMD X2 4000+

Asus M2NPV-VM

Hauppauge PVR 250 + MCE Remote

HDD > 250 GB

The rest of the stuff you decide

1. not really

2.no way am i burning so many dvds :no:

3.whats the diy approach ???

attach tata sky to the comp and use the tv as a monitor??

or can i attach tata sky and comp seperately ... so that i can keep on changing btw the 2.

help me out here

and which tvs are good?

rASCAL said:
3.whats the diy approach ???
Its "Do It Yourself"

rASCAL said:
attach tata sky to the comp and use the tv as a monitor??

or can i attach tata sky and comp seperately ... so that i can keep on changing btw the 2.
Attach tata sky output to computer. You can record/timeshift TV as well as enable post processing using ffdshow / nvidia purevideo to improve picture quality.

rASCAL said:
and which tvs are good?

Check out the Samsung bordeaux

Attach tata sky output to computer. You can record/timeshift TV as well as enable post processing using ffdshow / nvidia purevideo to improve picture quality.

could you please elaborate a lil on this??.. i got all the attaching part .. i wanted to know how i can improve the picture quality?
and how much difference will be there...
and will there be some lag ??
if so how much

^^ You are not in touch with the current marktet prices. There has been a steady drop in LCD prices, these days its easy to find official 40" LCD TVs with 720p starting at 70k onwards. In 80k you have a lot of options available from LG, Samsung, Philips, Panasonic etc.
If from Delhi I suggest you visit Hometown in Noida that has loads of LCD TV in that size with 720p starting at 70k.

techcheat said:
^^ You are not in touch with the current marktet prices. There has been a steady drop in LCD prices, these days its easy to find official 40" LCD TVs with 720p starting at 70k onwards. In 80k you have a lot of options available from LG, Samsung, Philips, Panasonic etc.

If from Delhi I suggest you visit Hometown in Noida that has loads of LCD TV in that size with 720p starting at 70k.

what about 1080p??

can i get one in about 80k??

rASCAL said:
could you please elaborate a lil on this??.. i got all the attaching part .. i wanted to know how i can improve the picture quality?

and how much difference will be there...

and will there be some lag ??

if so how much

The quality will be definitely noticeable on a 40 inch 1080p LCD. Provided your HTPC is powerful enough there shoud be no lag due to postprocessing.

You can upscale DVDs to 1080p, remove noise, deinterlace and do much more with ffdshow. Have a look at this guide for using it with DVDs

HTPCnews.com: The Media Center Resource - ffdshow DVD Guide (2004)

techcheat said:

I stand corrected :)
Haven't really checked the latest prices. You sure about good 720p models @ 80K?

adder said:
well about the lcd u can get a sony KLV-40V300A for about Rs80000 in the grey market or Rs109000 in showroom.

any grey market in mumbai ???????? n is it advisable to buy from grey market ?????????

can some suggest any other tvs which are good ...
i have seen the samsung one...
any other brands i shouls look at?
but the sales guys don't know shit .. all they know are the viewing angles ...

well the other tvs to look out are from sharp they are also good but more expensive then sony.
samsung dont have quality control u cant guarrantte u will get a tv with samsung panel.
i dont know where grey market is located in mumbai as i stay in bangalore but the sony is far better in terms of picture quality.the bravia engine makes the difference.

Hey guys.Any opinions about the Philips 42PF7421 LCD tv.Its priced at 89k and the offer could go down to 80-85K as per the sales guy there.I saw it an exhibition in my city and it looked very good but not as good as the Sony 40X200A 1080p model which costs almost twice as much.Also on offer was the Samsung 40M8 model for 1 lakh.Any reviews of this Philips model on any websites.Cant seem to find any....

amigoatul said:
Hey guys.Any opinions about the Philips 42PF7421 LCD tv.Its priced at 89k and the offer could go down to 80-85K as per the sales guy there.I saw it an exhibition in my city and it looked very good but not as good as the Sony 40X200A 1080p model which costs almost twice as much.Also on offer was the Samsung 40M8 model for 1 lakh.Any reviews of this Philips model on any websites.Cant seem to find any....
I've compared 42pf7421 with samsung 40R8. samsung quality is better than philips. n if u r in mumbai sumaria is selling philips pf7421 at Rs. 79990/-

after carefully watching the philips side by side with the samsung and sony,i would recommend the philips in the 80k+ price range.and guys there is no sense comparing a 8ok lcd with one that costs 1.8 or 2 k,the only negative bout the philips is that it is not that bright compared to the sony or samy

Back