40gb iPod for 20,000/ Any alternatives ?

i checked the iPod 40 gb rates in Delhi & its for roughly less than 20,000.
Is there any cheaper alternative to it ?
I was planning for this big 40gb one coz i was planning to buy portable HDD as well so i thought may be iPod is a good option. any alternatives to that product one may Suggest ?

aLso -- has anyone connected an iPod in is CAR yet ?? im really keen on that

A 40 GB portable HDD will cost you RS 3000 if spent wisely... I see iPod as an expensive alternative *if* you are buying it as an portable HDD...

40 Gb Seagate Notebook HDD + external sleek uber looking casing Rs 3150...

i totally agree to u -- & i did Ponder that point but then - a HDD will only be portable Data dock only - but im looking for a Music player that i can Carry along all the time & use it in my CAR as well.

BTW
how good are samsung yepp players ? anyone trying that at the moment

then i dont understand a point spending 13-14,000 on a mini one when im getting 40gb.
I checked rates in US for 60gb & its almost $400=20,000 which again is a good deal in my view.
Anyways thx for the suggestions. will finalise one when im filled with cash now.

first thing first ....... for a portable storage device , it shud have the convinience of being recognized as a removable drive in windows cos its bloody hell irritating to install the software each time ur on some other machine .

Secondly , if considering music ....am sure u will hardly fill up 4Gb space , besides you always have the option of swapping music with the PC .

So I go with Switch's opinion . Get a lower costing , lower capacity Mp3 player and invest on a lappie HDD with casing . Trust me it wud be money well spent .

Infact you cud get the ipod nano and get a FM transmitter ( Make sure u get a FM transmitter with the whole frequency spectrum and not just the option to tune it to 4 preset frequencies cos if in future or even now if the radio stations are in close frequency or even worse on the same frequency then there will be a lot of mixing and superimposing of signals and will create a big mess .

So this is what i suggest :

Option one : 1) Ipod Nano + FM transmitter + portable HDD : 11+2+3.3= 16~17k

Second option and my favourable option :

Get the IRiver H320. Its a 20 giger . Its recongnized as a removable storage device , so no need to install s/w for porting files , which in my opinion is a must for true portability . Its a very superior player audio quality wise and feature wise . Its got line out , which is a very essential feature , try connecting the ipod with its audio jack to the aux in of ur music system , STATIC is what u will get ! ;) . Yea you can use the FM transmitter with the IRiver too and in this case with your music system ( since mostly all musis systems have FM ) , but nothing like connecting it directly to the aux in's of the music system , thatz optimal audio quality .

So here it is : 1) Iriver H320 ( 20 GB ) + FM transmitter : 300$+ 2k = 14

here u get 20 gig storage which is swappable to make ur playable&portable music exapand ;) and at the same time have a convinient storage device .
Only one gripe , it doesnt have on the fly playlist feature ! .

I checked rates in US for 60gb & its almost $400=20,000 which again is a good deal in my view.

not too sure as the gray market going rates in chennai are:

13.4K for 20Gig photo iPod and 17.something (don't remember exactly) K for the 60 gig photo....these are fo r the sealed box packed sets.....

BTW the ipod is also recognized as a removable HDD in XP....

Also I had posted a review of the iRiver PMP 20GB player vis-a-vis the iPod sometime back in the reviews & previews sections...You may want to take a look at that

Hmm...BTW the 40 gig non-color iPods...arent' they phased out now?

or is the 20K quote for the 40 Gig iPod photo (not too sure if there is a 40 gig option available as of nwo)

Infact you cud get the ipod nano and get a FM transmitter ( Make sure u get a FM transmitter with the whole frequency spectrum and not just the option to tune it to 4 preset frequencies cos if in future or even now if the radio stations are in close frequency or even worse on the same frequency then there will be a lot of mixing and superimposing of signals and will create a big mess .

I tried using a FM transmitter in the car for a while, and finally it drove me so mad, that I thre it out...(ok ...not out of a running car ...threw it out of the car to my junkyard)

Here's why:

-Sad sound quality

- frequency Drifts and interefrences....Last hing I want to do while driving is reaching out for the fine tuning knob on the Tx unit....

However, meher, if u have a cassette unit in the car (unfortunately I don't),...then u can use one of this casette adapters that come for arnd 100-200/- odd....the sound clarity is pretty good on them...maybe not audiophile quality ...back hme, my dad uses that to connect a CD player to the car cassette unit and the performance is surprisingly good

Back