Video 42" Lcd Help + Home theater help

BlacK RozE

Disciple
Okay .. I want to buy a 42" LCD and and home theatre system..

LCD must not exceed 60-65k

I'm confused with this one, Should i go for home theatre Or a Dvd player with a 5.1 ??

Because Dvd player with 5.1 would be cheaper as compared to a home theatre.

I went to vijay sales today, they suggested i go for LG Jazz 42" offcourse.. which will cost me 62k.. and they offered me a philips home theatre system of which MRP was near 14-15k .. and they were willing to give me 40% discount on it.. if i club lcd with it.

So .. M i going right ?? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Also there is a lot of buzz about that LED TV's which start over 1 lakh. [Definately over-budged at the moment]

Should i wait for LED prices to come down or go for LCD TV ?
Any major differences ??

Can you give me the direct link ..

I found one but its not FULL HD and Contrast ratio = 3000:1 which is really poor. I think your talking about some other model.

Coz jazz has contrast ratio of 50000:1 and is also full hd.

I just closed out a Philips 42" IPS LCD (42FPL5403)for 68.2K from E-zone, including a puny little HT system (HTS3011, IIRC, didn't pay any attention as the deal was not available without the offer) and all taxes.

Plus I got exchange of 1.5K on my old Sony 21" CRT. Even if I assume the price of the HTS at 4K, that's under your 65K budget mark. Obviously I would sell the bundled HTS and get a better system, and not a Philips HTS for sure though the 4750 has quite a few admirers.

If you get a DVDP and receiver/amp combo, you will be spending more money, but for better quality and flexibility. You generally get bundle offers, but unless the price is free or close enough, the bundled HTS are worth throwing away. If you are willing to set aside some money, budget about 50K for a system of separates and you'll get something that will actually do a large screen justice (providing your room is big enough for a 42"). If you're looking for something less expensive, go with one of the better HTS systems from the mainstream manufacturers, though in the long run you will feel the need to go for separates.

As for your choice of screens, the Jazz and the Scarlet did not impress me much, with washed out colours and some edge bleeding on HD sources. I was not keen on a plasma as the system would spend about 90% of its time with music playlists on the screen - I do much more music than movies - and plasmas don't deal with PC text well at all. I was torn between the Sony Bravia S400 and the Philips, but we noted heavy distortion with text scrolls at the bottom of the screen on the Sony (all of them, even the 32" had this issue) and we discarded that choice and closed the deal on the Philips set.

We had already discounted Samsung, but on adder's advice we had a look, and we discarded them again. The saturation was just too much. The Philips had lower contrast than the Sony and Samsung panels, but we noticed no difference in SD and TV viewing, and for HD the Philips had sufficient contrast to work (and impress) in brightly lit showrooms, so I foresee no problems in using it at home, which is generally darker.

I would not suggest waiting for LED TV prices to come down. It's just LED-backlit panels, the TV is still running on a regular LCD. You may save a bit of power and get slightly better contrast ratio, but you would be better served by pushing for a deal on a current model panel and upgrading after 4 years or so, when the real LED screens start hitting the market at reasonable prices.

Don't worry about the huge contrast ratio, that's dynamic contrast. It's a bit like PMPO. FHD Plasmas in 42" will be pretty expensive, I think they run about 1L nowadays. All Plasmas from Panny and LG in 42" and below 50K are HD ready panels (1366x) which actually gives slightly better SD viewing and maybe a little bit better PQ than the equivalent FHD LCDs at closer distances (where the hi-res displays run from poor native sources will show pixelisation) with all sources. I saw a Sanyo HD-ready LCD for 42K at the store and it had excellent colours and PQ, but I didn't opt for it because it was not FHD.

Unless you have a HD source or plan to upgrade to it (Blu-Ray player of some kind), don't stress out on getting a FHD panel. They actually look much worse with regular TV and DVD (even upscaled) than HD-ready panels. Unless you need the extra pixels, don't pay for them. India is not going to get HD broadcast for another six years at least, and Blu-Ray prices are yet to reach sane levels. I got myself one solely for using as a PC display and maybe later for gaming, but have no illusions about getting HD video on the panel soon enough...

BlacK RozE said:
First of all thank you very much for your long meaningfull reply.. really appreciated.

Okay the thing is ..
I've a budget of 65k only for the LCD TV and I'm willing to spent another 10k or buy that home theatre for nearly 7-8k extra, which i get if i buy the LG JAZZ.

+ I'm getting 5k for the 29" flat screen i currently have.

And i just had a look at that 42FPL5403 .. it has contrast ratio of 33k as compared to 50k of jazz, also it looked a bit bland as compared to Jazz.
Yes u've mentioned the contrast ratio is less as to that of samsung and sony.
But if we are getting better ratio of 50k, I don't understand the harm. I didnt exactly get you on what u meant by washed out colours and edge bleeding.

I wanna give priority to LCD TV 1st and then to home theatre.

well the LG has poor image quality due to its weak image processing,nor does it have the contrast levels of sony/samsung.the new models from sony and samsung will be out soon already the 32inch version and 37inch versions have been launched.

@cranky the sony bravias engine will correct the text,automaticaly after a few seconds ,u will notice that for a brief period after which it corrects itself.
however 100hz tvs fair much better in those channels that have scrolling text.

@adder: Fair, but we left on the screens for about 15 minutes (we were looking at all the TVs simultaneously) and it didn't correct itself. As a matter of fact the E-zone guys just packed up the three Bravias for sending them back I guess... There may have been some defect with those pieces then, it's just a little strange it was present in all 3. It almost as if the engine was splitting the image into a left and right, and applying the 4:3-16:9 stretch on each half separately, and getting the edges all wrong, because the center of the screen was perfectly fine, just the last 25% on each end of the screen was overstretched (we also noticed channel logos being terribly distorted, though for 90% of TV watching it wasn't apparent unless you were looking for it).

@Blackroze: When we recommend audio systems, we recommend the ones that sound a little mellow, as in the showroom things that catch your attention are the ones that cause fatigue over the long term. Of course you should try tweaking the set to your liking and yes, in the showroom it's tough to make a choice. I was looking for a balance between natural colours, shadow depth and detail and contrast, and the 5403 seemed to offer the best compromise. It was far from being the most vivid panel for sure, but I was not looking for vivid in the first place as IME the alluring is usually the fatiguing. The Jazz has a very similar colour balance to the Philips, though the PQ was a lot poorer. The older LG series (sorry, not big on model numbers) had a very slow screen so blurring was apparent with panning shots, so we ruled that out in spite of the excellent price (57K for a FHD 42" before discounts).

When we were looking at heavily saturated images, the LG Jazz lost detail across the screen width. So fine detail was not evident, and color bled across heavily saturated edges (for example, a red rose on a green background would have some red on the places where green is supposed to be). I suppose at 15 feet it would not be noticeable though. Also shadow detail was not very good. The Scarlet was mildly better off, but that may have been placebo.

In the HD samples, there was a building with a morning shadow across it. Very clearly, the building had gray paint. On the Bravia, it looked blue with a dark blue shadow. On the LG, it was a dull grey with a flat dark gray shadow. On the Philips, it was a bluish-gray-building, with a toned shadow (graduated, not a flat shadow), which lightened towards the top and darkened towards the bottom.

With the Sony demo machine, the Sony obviously shone, but they were images with lots of green and red, and the vivid contrast of the panel really shone through. In reality, I've never seen anybody produce footage like that. Grass is always a little brown and green, and the footage was obviously tailored for the panel and totally disregarded accuracy of tone. Obviously they did not let us test the Sony machine with the other panels, but yes it would look a little washed out on the more somber LG and Philips sets.

The Dynamic CR is what you get between the white while the backlight is at full brightness, and the black when it is at minimum brightness. It is not achievable in practice, as the measurements cannot be taken at the same time. It's basically a marketing gimmick, so don't fall for it. You should always look at static CR, and for the LG/Philips is about 1000:1, and for the Sony/Samsun, it is about 1800:1 (adder?).

I hope you make the right choice. With a budget like that, I would reduce the spend on the panel and get a little more capable HTS. Unless you don't watch that many movies (I would never spend money on a dedicated HTS, I watch a movie once in 3 months), in which case just go ahead and get the best deal. In my opinion, anything you get at any budget today is a compromise of some sort, just be sure you make the right one :)

cranky said:
.\

The Dynamic CR is what you get between the white while the backlight is at full brightness, and the black when it is at minimum brightness. It is not achievable in practice, as the measurements cannot be taken at the same time. It's basically a marketing gimmick, so don't fall for it. You should always look at static CR, and for the LG/Philips is about 1000:1, and for the Sony/Samsun, it is about 1800:1 (adder?).

well the sony and samsung models have a contrast from 1800:1 for the based model 32inch to about 3800:1 for the 09 samsung series 6,sony W,V etc

Phew, thanks again.. that was quite an information.

Btw, why don't they mention static contrast ratio ??
I checked some models on the internet too, i cant see static CR in the product information.

BlacK RozE said:
Phew, thanks again.. that was quite an information.

Btw, why don't they mention static contrast ratio ??
I checked some models on the internet too, i cant see static CR in the product information.

well sony does mentions the static contrast.

Back