46inch LED or Plasma TV buying help

thegame

Adept
Hi all,

Need to buy a 46inch LED TV or Plasma TV.

Requirements (as in order) :
1. Picture quality
2. Ability to play most of the movie formats (USB, LAN)
3. Don't need 3D

I have filled the template and please help me choose one, thanks :)

For some reason interested in Samsung UA46ES5600R and saw it today in the showroom and since I haven't seen other models (Sony, LG etc), couldn't come to a conclusion so thought of getting your thoughts here. While posting I was browsing through Samsung's Plasma offerings and now confused whether I should go for Plasma as my main requirement is Picture quality.

UA46ES5600R? 46 inch Full HD Smart LED TV - OVERVIEW

1. Budget.

60k - 90k

2. Viewing distance.

15-17 ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.

Will get Tata Sky HD

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.

LED, Plasma

5. Preference for brands.

Samsung, Sony

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?

No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.

Normal sunlight - morning and noon and Tubelight at night

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.

Don't want 3D, want to play movies from USB, PC (via LAN)

Any suggestions guys? or shall I go with Samsung UA46ES5600R without breaking my head :)

Got a price quote of 85k from Samsung showroom with Skype camera free..

If you want awesome PQ,then you have to get a plasma.
You can get a 51 inch Samsung Series 5 plasma for around 75K
Do consider.....

^^ Did you read his lighting conditions before suggesting a plasma?

thegame: think about plasma only if you have an absolute control over your lighting conditions as plasmas are highly reflective like a mirror, also the plasma image burn issue still exists which is not covered under warranty.

Have a look at LG. They offer true VFM (Value For Money). Superb quality components & PQ. Best place to pick them - LG Shoppe (you can bargain too). Samsung and Sony charge a hefty premium - coz of their branding.

My LG LE4600 (47" LED) is just over 2 years old & I can't stop admiring it each day (when I watch Full HD content - Movies).

The best in Plasma is from Panasonic BUT none of their best models are available in India (check their Global-USA site).

Cheers
Terry

^^ Did you read his lighting conditions before suggesting a plasma?

thegame: think about plasma only if you have an absolute control over your lighting conditions as plasmas are highly reflective like a mirror, also the plasma image burn issue still exists which is not covered under warranty.
Dude,I myself own a plasma(Samsung 64E8000)
The lighting at my place is even brighter than his(sunlight directly falls on the tv) but still there is no problem with the picture.
All new age plasma's come with an anti reflective coating on the screen to prevent this problem.They are pretty bright too now.
Image burn in issue is like completely obsolete,please check your facts.

@OP
Please post your query on hifivision for a better resolution

^^ Sunlight?? Even a basic tubelight in front of plasma is a big nuisance, this can be verified by anyone visiting a TV showroom, as for image burn: it was a problem for plasmas, it is a problem for plasma and it will be in the future too which is not too long as plasma wont survive for long now. The big 100+ pages sticky thread on avs clearly shows that the problem is still there.

^^ Sunlight?? Even a basic tubelight in front of plasma is a big nuisance, this can be verified by anyone visiting a TV showroom, as for image burn: it was a problem for plasmas, it is a problem for plasma and it will be in the future too which is not too long as plasma wont survive for long now. The big 100+ pages sticky thread on avs clearly shows that the problem is still there.
I am using my TV right opposite to a tubelight ,I have never faced any issue with glare or low brightness(when was the last time you saw a plasma).Please visit a TV showroom and look at a Samsung 8 series or a Panny VT50 plasma and see if the issue is there.

"Image burn-in" is an obsolete issue with plasmas.You are actually talking about "image retention" which is a totally different effect and lasts only for minutes or a maximum of 2-3hrs.
Image burn in is a permanent effect while IR is a temporary issue.All new age plasmas now have Pixel Orbitting which greatly reduces IR.
And FYI even LCDs and LEDs are susceptible to burn in and IR.
Proof of this can be seen at Secunderabad railway station where they have been using plasma TVs from Hitachi since 5 years to display the train information.There is absolutely no sign of IR or burn in

I avoided Plasma 2 years ago simply because LG, Pana & Samsung then had the shittiest models (compared to what Pana was offering to it's American or European customers then and even today). There is still nothing to beat Plasma.

OP should go for an LED or else source the Pana models available in US (a 55" Plasma model even after paying customs duties still works out cheaper than any current 46", 47" or 50" LED TV in India).

Thanks a lot for the replies guys, I can't source the models from US so therefore I will be buying from India only. As I have mentioned before, my main requirement is Picture quality and ability to play most of the movie formats from USB or via LAN.

I will check the Plasma displays as so far I have checked only the LEDs from Samsung. Also one more query - which (LED or Plasma) will be better for the normal (non HD) content/channels as I checked the various DTHs and I guess my required ones will be mostly non-HD ones.
@chaitu.genius, is 64E8000 the 2+ lakh one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot for the replies guys, I can't source the models from US so therefore I will be buying from India only. As I have mentioned before, my main requirement is Picture quality and ability to play most of the movie formats from USB or via LAN.

I will check the Plasma displays as so far I have checked only the LEDs from Samsung. Also one more query - which (LED or Plasma) will be better for the normal (non HD) content/channels as I checked the various DTHs and I guess my required ones will be mostly non-HD ones.
chaitu.genius, is 64E8000 the 2+ lakh one?

All Plasmas tend to offer a softer picture when displaying non-HD content so the picture will be much better compared to non-HD on LEDs.(Don't have to take my word for it,search on Google)
Yes mine is the 2 Lakh one.
Check out the Series 5 Plasma from Samsung or better yet,try to find stock for the 51" Series 8 Plasma(very hard to find) which costs a little bit more but is too good for the price.
Also check out Panny Plasmas.

While checking them at the store, please tell the store people to switch off the lights near the TV so that you can see the actual PQ.
Store lighting is very bright and it will make the colors appear washed out.You can never get that much lighting at home so it will not be a problem in home usage.
I suggest you once again to check out hifivision before taking the final decision

All Plasmas tend to offer a softer picture when displaying non-HD content so the picture will be much better compared to non-HD on LEDs.(Don't have to take my word for it,search on Google)
Yes mine is the 2 Lakh one.
Check out the Series 5 Plasma from Samsung or better yet,try to find stock for the 51" Series 8 Plasma(very hard to find) which costs a little bit more but is too good for the price.
Also check out Panny Plasmas.

While checking them at the store, please tell the store people to switch off the lights near the TV so that you can see the actual PQ.
Store lighting is very bright and it will make the colors appear washed out.You can never get that much lighting at home so it will not be a problem in home usage.
I suggest you once again to check out hifivision before taking the final decision

Thanks @chaitu.genius :), will check hifivision and also the plasma ones in the stores..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen the plasmas in showrooms, they all have problems with lights and images appear washed out and yes the plasma burn in problem is still there otherwise that thread wont exist on AVS.

The day Samsung and panasonic start offering warranty against burn in is the day i will believe that its no longer an issue!!

In the end its OP's decision, let him buy whatever he likes.

i am having samsung 46es5600 .. it good.. also if you have wifi at home then can stream video directly from youtube..
but honestly speaking smart tv features are not much used by me.. i use only usb for movies.

Today saw Sony's HX 650 and 750 and since Sony have reduced the price of HX 750 from a lakh to 90k, I opted for HX 750 :)

I booked the TV at Shah's Chennai, no offer from the dealer though Final price: 90k, will have the TV delivered on Tuesday and have ordered Tata Sky HD..

Thanks a lot for all your inputs :)

Today saw Sony's HX 650 and 750 and since Sony have reduced the price of HX 750 from a lakh to 90k, I opted for HX 750 :)

I booked the TV at Shah's Chennai, no offer from the dealer though Final price: 90k, will have the TV delivered on Tuesday and have ordered Tata Sky HD..

Thanks a lot for all your inputs :)

One of the most VFM LED of 2012.
Congos for the purchase

The 51E8000 model chaitu is suggesting is damn difficult to find.But it is pretty good according the many reviews i have read so far..You could also try out the samsung LED 46ES6200..Grey price is around 70-75K...

Hi all,

Need to buy a 46inch LED TV or Plasma TV.

Requirements (as in order) :
1. Picture quality
2. Ability to play most of the movie formats (USB, LAN)
3. Don't need 3D

I have filled the template and please help me choose one, thanks :)

For some reason interested in Samsung UA46ES5600R and saw it today in the showroom and since I haven't seen other models (Sony, LG etc), couldn't come to a conclusion so thought of getting your thoughts here. While posting I was browsing through Samsung's Plasma offerings and now confused whether I should go for Plasma as my main requirement is Picture quality.

UA46ES5600R? 46 inch Full HD Smart LED TV - OVERVIEW

1. Budget.

60k - 90k

2. Viewing distance.

15-17 ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.

Will get Tata Sky HD

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.

LED, Plasma

5. Preference for brands.

Samsung, Sony

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?

No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.

Normal sunlight - morning and noon and Tubelight at night

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.

Don't want 3D, want to play movies from USB, PC (via LAN)

For some reason I prefer this : Sony BRAVIA LED TV KDL-46EX520 for 85,500 only.

Back