Graphic Cards 4870 upgrade

Ive been using my trusty ati 4870 512mb for over a year now on my e6600 2.4ghz..

im finally upgrading my computer today getting i5 2500k etc...

I usually game on my tv with 1920x1080 resolution ... and it seems to be holding welll in most of the games ..

now since im upgrading my cpu etc i was thinking is it worth upgrading the 4870 ??

or is it good enough for this resolution to play games in ??

For upgrade ive got a very limited budget.. and the card should last me really well ...

ive short listed the Saphire 6870 >12k here in chandni ..

wanted to ask since this is my gpu upgrade after over a year or so should i upgrade well and get the 6950 which im geting for 15.6k locally ... or is it overkill and unnecessary for my current resolution... and i should stick to the 6870 upgrade or should i not upgrade at all ???

as u can see im very confused :p

Also plz dunt recommend NVIDIA as i need the ati scaling feature since my tv is not full hd :(

the 6870 is way better than 6850. the nvidia 570 will also be good. however since your 4870 is able to handle all these games u should probably wait for the 7 series. it should be released by september. it has several features way better than the 6 series and lower power consumption. also if u play battlefield then bf3 will be handled better by 7 series than the 6 series

The card has still got some life,but the only problem is 128bit,DX 10 and 512 VRAM.But I still believe that it'll run for at least another 2 years,but may be then you won't be able to sell it at any good price.

HD 5850 would be a nice and cheap upgrade over it.

Ameet148 said:
The card has still got some life,but the only problem is 128bit,DX 10 and 512 VRAM.But I still believe that it'll run for at least another 2 years,but may be then you won't be able to sell it at any good price.

HD 5850 would be a nice and cheap upgrade over it.
read up a few articles buddy, the HD 4870 actually has 800 shaders and 256 bit gddr5. It used to come in two sku's a 512 MB on and a 1 GB one. typically the 1 Gb HD 4870 == GTX 260 216sp > HD 5770.

^^op since you seem to be doing alright with that 512 MB HD 4870 of yours, I suggest you wait till the end of the year to make a purchase. the HD 6870 is not going to be a drastic improvement over your HD 4870 in dx9-10 games. It will be at best 15-20% faster in games that you play and outside of benchmarking. in synthetic benchmarks the 6870 will be approx 25-30% faster than your 4870

Bro, even i had the idea of upgrading my GTX 460 ...

All i say is, wait till the 7XXX series shows up . If u can't wait, the MSI 6950 Twin frozer would be a nice Upgrade :)

wait up for HD7k series, I think HD4870 can still drive the latest games at DX9 and DX10 settings respectively (DX11 out of question)

how much do u think the 7x series will be priced at when it launches and when is it expected to launch ?? ... and if i do manage the money is 6950 twin frozer worth the extra 3k over the 6870 ???

hmmm ok waiting for the HD7XXX series is not an option cause till then my 4870 will be worth next to nothing.. so i will go for an upgrade immediately ..

considering this NEW GPU upgrade will last me for the next few years should i invest money on the 6970 ... or should i stick to the 6950... i saw the benches and theres hardy 5-6fps difference between the 2 ....

till then my 4870 will be worth next to nothing..

upgrade now and your HD6xxx card will depreciate faster in value. Since we are seeing a major transition in architecture, different level of performance (thanks to 28nm tech) and all.

satanofgamers said:
welll its like a take it or leave it offer for me so i took it .. ordering the msi 6950 twin frozer III/OC today :D
Mate try to get the 6950 2gb version with bios switch and get your chances on getting it unlocked to 6970. The TF III won't unlock to 6970.

^^buddy do remember the reviewers get cherry picked cards which OC's good. Get in touch with SMC. iirc they had old stock of msi 2gb unlockable variants.

Back