Budget 71-90K 4k Gaming PC for LG OLED C1

Aercy

Patron
I am looking to upgrade my current PC to play games in 4K 60-120 fps (with high setting, DLSS assisted) output to LG OLED C1 42”.

Here’s what I have,
  1. Ryzen 5 3600 with stock fan
  2. MSI B450 Carbon AC Pro Wi-Fi
  3. 32 GB (16gbx2) DDR4 3200 MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB RS
  4. 1tb m.2 nvme + 500gb SATA SSD + 2tb WD black HDD (+ 16tb NAS)
  5. Galax RTX 2070 Super
  6. Corsair Vengeance 750m (80+ Silver) PSU
  7. Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX chassis
Suggest me upgrades to meet my objectives. Trying to retain as many components as I can.

Zen 5800X3D - more than enough for 4k 120fps gaming, unless you really want every last bit of performance in which case look towards the 7800X3D, but you have to buy a new mobo and RAM for it as well
Get a 2TB NVMe if you feel you need more storage - they are pretty cheap rn, and you can replace your SATA SSD with the new drive
RTX 4080
Your PSU is good enough for 4080 + 5800X3D
Case is good enough, might need to add a fan or two though
Get a CPU cooler - Deepcool AK620 if you don't want RGB, Deepcool AG620 if you do. Both perform close to a NH-D15 at nearly half the price. Check reviews

I agree that a Zen 3 upgrade is all that you need. But first, I would suggest upgrading the GPU before upgrading the CPU to see how much frames you get with your Ryzen 5 3600. 4k is heavily GPU bound, so you'll still get decent frames with a 3600. If you consider upgrading the CPU as well, get the Ryzen 7 5700X instead of the 5800X3D, it costs 10k lesser but will only be marginally slower. It doesn't come with a cooler either, so a single tower cooler like the Deepcool AK400 is enough.

Yeah 5800x3d is if you want to save money on the motherboard..

otherwise a 13700K + B660 will be pretty safe bet.

Also, 12900K (similar performance to 13700k) and ASrock Z690 steel legend are onsale on flipkart right now if you want to go that route. Obviously you'll have to add a cooler to both setups.

Thanks. I have adjusted my budget a bit. What about RTX 4070 or RX 6950 XT based system for 4K 60 fps (and more with DLSS of RTX)? What I need to upgrade more in that case?

Thanks. I have adjusted my budget a bit. What about RTX 4070 or RX 6950 XT based system for 4K 60 fps (and more with DLSS of RTX)? What I need to upgrade more in that case?
4070 can do 4K only if you start at 1080p and use DLSS I believe. 4K 60fps with RT on is something that very few cards can attain. Especially if you want to play games like Cyberpunk.

...play games in 4K 60-120 fps (with high setting, DLSS assisted)...
Which games? Not all games support DLSS, in which case you need more raster power and more VRAM.

5800x3D will be the cheapest way to avoid getting CPU bottlenecked, but again, depending on what games you play, all you need may be a faster GPU

What's your budget?

A 4070 is basically the old 3080, so most games will run fine at native 4K high/ultra. At 4K DLSS/FSR quality setting, the game renders at 1440p & then upscales it, so 4K 60fps target is decent with it even in new games.

6950XT performs better than 4070 & has the advantage of more VRAM, which might come in handy in the long run. For a similar price, 6950XT will be the better choice but you will need a new PSU as it consumes a lot of power. 4070 consumes similar power to a 3070 (~200W) vs I think 350W on 6950XT.

Just forget about RT, its still too heavy.

As suggested earlier, 5800X3D is the minimum you need, can use current mobo + RAM, which will save money. Get a new higher storage SSD as well.

1683420166862.png

1683420264146.png

4K is lot harder to achieve that what many think. I once laughed at the guy who purchased 4090 to get proper performance on LG C2. I was educated by fellow techies on how hard 4K is for gaming. Even the mighty 4090 needs DLSS if you need Ray Tracing. That is how hard 4K gaming is with Ray Tracing on. I have played with and without RT. You should target proper RT setup. On AMOLED panel, it makes huge difference. Also, you would not want to go 'Team Red' thinking RT is not a big deal. It is really good and is getting better and better.

With this said, close your eyes and get 4080 at least if your budget allows. Do not make the same mistake I did (got 3070 Ti for 2K gaming thinking it can easily handle RT in all games). I am not considering another upgrade to 4080 as I myself got the LG C2. Thinking whether to do this or leave 3070 Ti in desktop and get an XBOX to connect to TV. Remember taht AMD still has no answer to Nvidia's RT and upscaling tech (see my DP, I am an AMD fan). Given how crazy the prices are, it is better to make one time purchase that can last couple of years. If you want RT on proper 4K resolution (that is absolutely worth if you start playing games like Cyberpunk, Last of us, Elden Ring etc), you have to go 4080 or beyond. Given how much VRAM hungry and heavy recent games have become, a 4070 or even the 6950 will start dropping frame rate in games that come out in a year or two. See the gap from 4080 to other cards for 4K gaming without RT.
1683427727397.png

See this for Cyberpunk
1683427973793.png

When you consider power consumption, a 4080 runs requires less power when compared to 6950XT.

1683428041766.png

1683428073739.png

This results in 4080 having better cost per frame on the long run. And you do not have to think of upgrade again for few years.

Last edited:
If you are gonna get a 4080, I would suggest extend your budget a bit more and get a 4090 instead. The price may look upsurd but the difference between pricing of 4080 and 4090 is not that huge, however 4090 is a hell lot faster than 4080. Nvidia's pricing this gen is really insane, they priced 4080 so close to 4090 however the performance difference is a hell lot between the two that it does not make sense to go for a 4080, really 4080 pricing makes 4090 a good buy even though both of these cards are overpriced.
If they would have priced the 4080 same as 3080 Ti or 3080 it would have made total sense to go for 4080.

Well it will handle it just fine as long as its pcie gen 4.. although when i went from 4080 -> 4090, i did not notice a big wow in performance.. but im still at 1440p so that might be the issue i'm still cpu bottlenecked.

for india it seems 4080 might be a better deal because 1.06 lakh vs 1.6 lakhs.. thats a 50% jump in price? but i dont think there might be a 50% jump in 4k performance.

I game once a week, and that too is divided between PS5, PC, Steam Deck, Switch, and Quest 2 VR. I don’t play FPS games mostly, am into GTA, RDR, Assassin’s Creed, Sniper Elite, Hitman, Uncharted, and other story-driven action/adventure games, sports, and simulation. I dislike Cyberpunk and it’s kind, don’t play battle royal and MPs.

With my current PC config, I was thinking of upgrading only the GPU to indulge in better 4K 60fps gaming and upwards with medium/high settings, which would have cost me anywhere between 70-100k ish; But now it seems to be falling in 1.6L-2L territory, which doesn’t make sense for gaming once in 1-2 weeks. I understand VRAM is important and 16-24GB is one needs to drive 4K, so not sure there are many GPU options within the original 70k-1.1L budget for 4K.

RTX 4090 is out of question, maybe a RX 7800 XTX (missing RT) or RTX 4080 (lower VRAM) is doable but likely to be bottlenecked by my R5 3600 CPU. Even my work doesn’t require my PC to be high performance as I mostly us office suite and web browser, so not sure a 35k CPU upgrade is worth it.

The colorful 3080 ti @ 50k on flipkart sale is a no brainer if you are on a budget.. just dial down the settings to medium-high with dlss and ull be golden. 4k60 is easily achievable on medium high settings. use rest of the money to get 12900+z690 combo on flipkart aswell or 5800x3d.

3080 ti performs better than the 4070 and 4080 is at max like 30%-40% more performance.. not worth if you are on a strict budget.

I game once a week, and that too is divided between PS5, PC, Steam Deck, Switch, and Quest 2 VR. I don’t play FPS games mostly, am into GTA, RDR, Assassin’s Creed, Sniper Elite, Hitman, Uncharted, and other story-driven action/adventure games, sports, and simulation. I dislike Cyberpunk and it’s kind, don’t play battle royal and MPs.

With my current PC config, I was thinking of upgrading only the GPU to indulge in better 4K 60fps gaming and upwards with medium/high settings, which would have cost me anywhere between 70-100k ish; But now it seems to be falling in 1.6L-2L territory, which doesn’t make sense for gaming once in 1-2 weeks. I understand VRAM is important and 16-24GB is one needs to drive 4K, so not sure there are many GPU options within the original 70k-1.1L budget for 4K.

RTX 4090 is out of question, maybe a RX 7800 XTX (missing RT) or RTX 4080 (lower VRAM) is doable but likely to be bottlenecked by my R5 3600 CPU. Even my work doesn’t require my PC to be high performance as I mostly us office suite and web browser, so not sure a 35k CPU upgrade is worth it.
For casual gaming, go with Xbox or PS5. Do not put money on semi-upgrading your PC now. With a PS5 or Xbox, you do not have to worry about VRAM or new games filled with bugs (happening to lot of games for PC lately). I am considering upgrade because we (me and kids) play games on PC almost every day. Gaming on phone is out of bounds for them on weekdays) and I am also working on moving into ML development. So, my investment may one day give me great returns.

Drag your PC for another year or two if possible. Next iteration of AM5 chips will be monsters, you wont see platform related issues (drivers and the recent voltage issuess). By then, B650 and DDR5 costs will come down a lot. If you still think you need PC gaming, you can splurge on full upgrade. You will then have best of both worlds. If you do not need gaming PC, invest in gaming laptop to have portability.

IMO just a 3080Ti @ 50k is what you should go with.
Drag your PC for another year or two. Next iteration of AM5 chips will be monsters, you wont see platform related issues (drivers and the recent voltage issuess). By then, B650 and DDR5 costs will come down a lot. If you still think you need PC gaming, you can splurge on full upgrade. You will then have best of both worlds.
This seems very logical too.

The colorful 3080 ti @ 50k on flipkart sale is a no brainer if you are on a budget.. just dial down the settings to medium-high with dlss and ull be golden. 4k60 is easily achievable on medium high settings. use rest of the money to get 12900+z690 combo on flipkart aswell or 5800x3d.

3080 ti performs better than the 4070 and 4080 is at max like 30%-40% more performance.. not worth if you are on a strict budget.
No, for few reasons.

1. Colorful. They are yet to win trust in A.S.S. If 3080 Ti has to be had, better check Zotac/ASUS/Gigabyte. Moreover, this card is OOS almost everywhere.
2. 4070 takes far less power and has much better DLSS compared to 3080 Ti. 4080 is a far superior card, runs cooler, runs quieter and takes far less power.
3. 5800x+4080 gives far greater performance and takes less power and generates far less heat compared to 12900+3080 Ti. This combo is like having an oven in a PC cabinet.
4. Do not roll dice on Flipkart offers. There are too many scams. I believe OP is from Kolkata and there are major resellers like MDComp in Kolkata.
IMO just a 3080Ti @ 50k is what you should go with.
Stock is over.

Last edited:
1. Colorful. They are yet to win trust in A.S.S. If 3080 Ti has to be had, better check Zotac/ASUS/Gigabyte. Moreover, this card is OOS almost everywhere.
2. 4070 takes far less power and has much better DLSS compared to 3080 Ti. 4080 is a far superior card, runs cooler, runs quieter and takes far less power.
3. 5800x+4080 gives far greater performance and takes less power and generates far less heat compared to 12900+3080 Ti. This combo is like having an oven in a PC cabinet.
4. Do not roll dice on Flipkart offers. There are too many scams. I believe OP is from Kolkata and there are major resellers like MDComp in Kolkata.
That was informative.

@aercy Are you open to buying used GPU?

Yes, I am from Kolkata, and prices in MDcomputers and Vedan has always been lower, sometimes lower than what they list online, so I would buy from there only; all my stuff has always come from them.

Not looking to buy used.

Thanks for all the suggestions, since I already have a PS5 (sold my Xbox Series X last year), it would be better if I wait a bit, and get the 5800x+4080 combo; waiting for 2 years doesn't make sense, too far away. If I sell my RTX 2070 Super at a desirable price, I will buy one of them. Should I buy the CPU first or the GPU, considering the price fall possibilities of the latter?

Back