Video 4K UHD TV is it really 4K? or it is Full HD Lowscaled from 4K??

the straightforward method is to show correct display resolution as advertised and promised by the Manufacturer on the stats
The manufacturer has no control over what stats YouTube decides to show: viewport is not the same as your panel resolution, it's just the dimensions of the area in which the YouTube video is playing. You can check this for yourself on your computer - open a YouTube video without putting it into full screen, and you'll see that the viewport stat becomes much smaller. As for the TV, if you install one of those system info apps that give you details about the hardware, they'll likely report your display resolution as 4K. YouTube shows viewport in the "Stats for nerds" because that's usually what's relevant to the nerds that are meant to be looking at them.

I don't understand, did you just look at one app on one budget TV and conclude that all 4k TVs are 1080p TVs?

Did you even try any other method of checking the TVs resolution to eliminate the possibility of it being an app issue? Did you even look at any other TVs to check if it was a TV specific thing?

I have a 3 year old Vu 4K TV and I know for a fact that it has a 2160p panel because I use it with my gaming PC where I can set the resolution to 2560x1440 as well as 3840x2160 and what I see on the screen matches with what I expect to see at those resolutions. I also know because I use Kodi on my TV where I can play 4k videos and see the quality difference as compared to full HD videos. Even Kodi shows interface resolution as 1080p, but then plays videos in 4k.

I think you should look at a slightly larger sample than one TV and test with a few more methods than YouTube's stats for nerds before drawing any conclusions.

Also, you don't think it would have been a big, well-known issue by now if this was the case? When manufacturers started selling LED backlit LCD panels as "LED TV", the tech community knew what was going on and it was a well publicised issue. Something this big doesn't just escape the notice of thousands of techies across the world.

I would certainly appreciate a little more effort being put in before making such posts. I wouldn't mind if it was framed as a question or a clarification. But it being framed as an assertion just seems disingenuous.

From what i know, most YouTube , heck most apps on tv and some smart sticks have restrictions on output - image quality, audio formats, HDR etc. These are not the manufacturers fault always. It's complicated. Reasons vary from licensing restrictions, drm, software bottlenecks, manufacturers being cheap etc.Just because the hardware supports it, don't assume the software does. If you want to get 4k for sure, connect to a PC and see what it reports as native resolution

Screenshot_20220819-105328.jpg

Back