5.1 AVR for 30k--> Recommendations

jaber

Disciple
Hi,
Ok i am a noob when it comes to audio equipment but i really want to learn so a link to any resources will also be welcome.

Well ive decided to go in for a 5.1 AVR and have a budget of maximum 30k for it alone. Its an arbitrary budget that i am ready to spend but i have no idea if it is too less or more. I want something that satisfies my requirements and if it can be had for less than 30k than very good.

I will primarily be watching hd rips downloaded from torrents using my pc as the source.. Music is important too though. I have hdmi connections for both my pc and dvd player and maybe a hdmi set top box also later when they become mainstream. Will be connecting pc sound via optical or coax.

I have heard about stuff like hd audio decoding and hdmi passthrough or upscaling..If anyone can tell me abt what it is and if i need it or no.
Plus what other features should i look for so that the reciever doesnt get obsolete in a few years..

The absolute minimum for a reasonable HDMI-capable receiver with upscaling and HDMI audio decoding is the Denon 1910. IIRC it's the cheapest such receiver, you can score it under 40K retail or 35K grey.

Upscaling = conversion of input video to 1080i/p

Passthrough = video signal passed untouched, scaling done by panel

HD audio = decode audio coming through HDMI input, enabling HD audio format capability. Important only if you have HD-audio source (Blu-Ray player). For other sources, a separate audio input connection is required.

Ok more questions...

Cant the pc be a source for hd audio ie a sound card or the graphic cards that offer sound decoding also over hdmi??

Also how is the upscaling of an avr in comparision to a hdtv? Is it really required? I think it is needed only for set top box signals or dvd player signals Or is upsacling done for 1080p signals output by a pc?

1. There is only one option for a PC putting out HD Audio, and that is the Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3. All other solutions are limited to DTS/DD or worse, 2-channel PCM. Not even the latest video cards offer HD audio over HDMI, just multichannel PCM.

2. Upscaling is necessary for low-quality sources such as STB and DVDs. Once HD transmission starts over the air, it won't be necessary, but that's 2015 at the earliest in our country, seeing as it took the government 10 years to partially implement CAS.

For HD signals no upscaling is performed. Generally, the built-in scalers of HDTVs do not perform very well, witness how badly they crap out in showroom demos using SD signals. However if your TV watching is limited to a few shows and a couple of hours a day, it's probably not necessary to invest in a solution that upscales.

It also comes in handy when using the PC to output videos that are not in HD. Generally, software scalers perform much worse than hardware scalers, but performance between hardware scalers vary. Only a showroom demo will let you figure out what you will be able to live with.

Ok,

So hd audio decoding is out.... Not needed

My tv viewing is limited to the grand slams, F1 and occasional cricket matches... So i need to take a call on whether upscaling is needed or not... Any suggestions? Is there a lot of price difference between avr's offering it or no?

The cheaper receivers also have terrible amplifier sections. Even the 1910 is nothing to write home about, though, but it's the best one can do given your budget (assuming it is a little pliable).

Since HD Audio is a marketing feature, one is expected to fork out cash for it so yeah, there is a price difference between the haves and the have-nots. Of course there is some compromise on other features as well, you would do well to walk into a store and check out a few products. If you are OK with dropping some of the technical mumbo-jumbo and living with passthrough receiver, some of the older Marantz receivers have reasonable quality amplifiers and may be a better choice.

At this point one would need to ask what you expect the role of the AVR to be in your system. There are plenty of ways to skin a cat, but one must know what kind before starting out.

Yes we can drop the hd audio and i may be ready to live with passthrough too..

I dont know what you mean by 'role' of the avr. If u could make it a multiple choice question i could give you an answer.

Also i wanted to know whether what is more important a loaded avr or better speakers..

People keep telling me that avr is a 5yr investment so i shud try getting all the features.

Btw i had demoed a denon reciever that had 'everything' at the profx store in worli(29k). First speakers were of polk audio.. Didnt like those..

The other set was a KEF bookshelf. It was pretty good (30k for a pair i think). However i demoed it with and without a sub.. I prefered it without a sub,, anything wrong with my ears??:p

You have good ears.

An AVR can be used as an amplifier, a control unit or both. If you depend on an AVR to switch the HDMI for you, there is little point in getting one that does not have decoding built it. Assuming your TV has enough HDMI inputs, one would look at a scenario where the audio and the video would be switched separately, the TV's inputs handling the video, and the AVR handling the audio. This is obviously a compromise on convenience. There are some ways around this, but all involve an analog audio connection back to the receiver so it may not be optimal for (say) a Blu-Ray player or a PS3.

On the other hand, a nerve-center would basically put everything on to one remote, handle all audio decoding and video upscaling as well as switching.

I basically have very limited use for an AVR, I simply use it to handle gaming audio. For all my video needs, I connect sources directly to the TV (video) and use a high-quality stereo amplifier and a pair of very good speakers (audio). Of course it does not give me surround effects, but really, most downloaded videos are 2ch PCM only anyway, and TV is always stereo at best. This way I can really enjoy the music.

Therefore the question - you seem to be looking at only something that you can connect some speakers to. In which case, I recommend a good stereo amplifier and a pair of good speakers. At 30K I would be looking at something from the NAD, Cambridge Audio or some better brands/quality in case you are OK with the used market...

Back