Laptops 5.1 ch speaker on laptop

Hi guys

help me out here..I wanted to buy some good quality 5.1 channel speaker but I have dell inspiron 1520 with sigmatel HD audio..I cant connect 5.1 speakers on my laptop..Can someone hep me out..Is there something which I can use to conver its audio output to 5.1..I live in US so some links to website would be of great help where i can buy something like this..
Thanks

I think the best solution would be to go for something like the Altec Lansing FX5051 which have a USB connector on them. You dont need the sound card to use them as they have one onboard which can directly use the 5.1 channels.

Hi, this might just be an urban legend, but to be safe, you may want to keep the speakers as far as possible from your laptop. Apparently the speaker magnets can mess up the screen.

After my friend's laptop screen had conked twice (luckily she was on warranty both times) the Toshiba guys told her it was because she was keeping her speakers too close to the laptop.

I'm quite ignorant of the physics of all this, and would be interested to know what others have to say about the magnet theory....

uhm, AFAIK that issue is there only for CRT screens One of mine went pink :p

But that prob is only for regular speakers. PC speakers are magnetically shielded. havent tried it on LCD's yet

Dr.ashish said:
Thats pretty expensive..

Will I get 5.1 ch sound through SPDIF out on my latop..?I am considering buying the svideo to spdif converter from dell...

That will be great if you use the SPDIF out and you can connect them to logitech z-5500.

DriftKingNT said:
That will be great if you use the SPDIF out and you can connect them to logitech z-5500.

yes but i wanna know that whether i will get 5.1 audio with spdif ..allready ordered the converter from dell ..as i will need it anyway..

i dont know how u can have a svideo to spdif converter. bocz svideo cable contains only video information (Y,C and 2 grounds) and spdif is basically for sound (digital audio upto 7.1 channels) signals..

masterBrain said:
i dont know how u can have a svideo to spdif converter. bocz svideo cable contains only video information (Y,C and 2 grounds) and spdif is basically for sound (digital audio upto 7.1 channels) signals..

svideo contains audio signals too... got to know from the user's manual... but not sure of 5.1 audio signal...

masterBrain said:

U can see it in the user manual..dell has integrated the spdif with s video and they sell the s video to spdif converter on the website so u can connect the laptop to ur tv...and hometheatre system..

masterBrain said:

even i was thinking the same thing, but googled a bit , and found out this

7-Pin S-Video and Digital Audio

turns out its a 7 pin S video connector , as opposed to the 4 pin you usually see

I have seen few 6.1 Channel USB Soundcard [Based on AC'97] for 400rs. here in mumbai, but cannot say bout the performance and audio quality of this cheap kinda stuff

Hi,

I have just bought the Inspiron 1520 , I also wanted to set up a 5.1 system but wont be able to.

The XPS has a surround card built in but spending 8k just for that didnt warrant it.

Here are the options:

1. Buy a speaker system which connects through USB
2. Get a X-Fi xpress card alongwith the surround connector (costliest)
3. Get the SB Live External card (around 2.5 k)
4. Get a cheap USB 5.1 soundcard as per the previous post (dont know whether it is available or not as I could only find 2.1 USB dongles)

Do post what you went in for and how much it cost, so I can consider that

Thanks

Back