5.1 Home theatre system installation

sayonm

Disciple
I am planning to buy a 5.1 Hometheatre system. To be very specific - Sony BDV-E880 5.1

But I have a problem, my partment does not have provisions to put rear speakers. Even if I manage to put them in the rear, there would be lots of wires going around in the room which I am not really inclined to do.

So my question is, can I put the rear speaker in front (say at a greater height than the front speakers), and not have a "weird experience". Is there a way to switch off the surround feature. If yes, how much loss of quality happens, if any. The input source to the HT will be from my Sony Bravia, which in turn gets its input from Airtel DTH (through composite audio-video) or from my computer (through HDMI) or the Blueray Player itself.

Yes, you can keep the rear speaker in the front.

In case you do not wish to use the rear speakers (you mentioned switching-off the surround feature) you may also think of 2.1 setup. You would get better speakers.

Having said(written) that normal houses/flats do not have provision to put on rear speakers - unless someone thought of that during the interior finishing stage.

The wires won't look ugly if you use flat cable trays, you would need to call an electrician to do a proper fitting. The finish is not spoiled, unless you have landlord who would object to that.

The rear speakers are "quiet" most of the time (90% of the time in typical movies). They are normally meant for the "ambient sounds" like the pod-race in Star Wars -1.

@sayonm

Dont get me wrong but if you are not going to install speakers as they should be, turn off the surround sound, then whats the point in buying 5.1 system? The model you have specified will cost you around 28k. If you just want speakers for your tv, you can look for 2.1 speakers and a separate blu ray player if required. It will save lot of money.

Jambumali, saurabh: Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Which 2.1 system wold you suggest, I should get in my budget(30k) along with a BluRay Player? I am expecting around 800-1000W output.

Back