Gauge

Adept
Hey Folks.

Please help me decide a Television Puchase. Details:

Size:50-55"

1. Budget. : 50k-70k.

2. Viewing distance : 8-10 feet approx.

3. Input Sources: PS3, XBOX360, USB Drives/Disks

4. Preference for TV: LCD TV/LED-LCD TV/Plasma : LCD, LEDs are also an option if fits into the budget

5. Preference for brands : Sony/Samsung/Panasonic/etc

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? : Yes, Open to purchases from Gaffar Mkt Delhi delhi too if dealer is known and reliable

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room : Well Lit

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc: Nope

Do not need: 3D capabilities.

I'd be buying this LCD by next week or June End.

Plasmas,
Samsung 51E550 - 74k
Samsung 51E490 - No clue about price but will be cheaper than above.

You won't get a LED/LCD of the that size in your budget.

Samsung 51E490 has only resolution of 1024x768 which is less considering size of the screen its around 62k. Samsung 51E550 is full HD so its better option. U cant get lcds at that price from good brands. There is 51E470 also same as 51E490 but no 3D around 58-59k.

Well getting a LCD or LED-LCD within that budget is impossible in india,even in the grey market a 55" LED-LCD will cost around 95k or more.
At your viewing distance a 46" is ideal although at 10feet distance a 55" won't do any harm.

Plasmas,
Samsung 51E550 - 74k
Samsung 51E490 - No clue about price but will be cheaper than above.

You won't get a LED/LCD of the that size in your budget.

Well getting a LCD or LED-LCD within that budget is impossible in india,even in the grey market a 55" LED-LCD will cost around 95k or more.
At your viewing distance a 46" is ideal although at 10feet distance a 55" won't do any harm.

Samsung 51E490 has only resolution of 1024x768 which is less considering size of the screen its around 62k. Samsung 51E550 is full HD so its better option. U cant get lcds at that price from good brands. There is 51E470 also same as 51E490 but no 3D around 58-59k.

Okay I get it, any PLASMA other than ps51e550? no option for a 55incher under that budget?

How is Samsung UA46EH5000R?

Is there any big difference in LED and Plasma TVs?
@mjumrani Do you know any reliable dealer at Gaffar?

Last edited by a moderator:
U can try getting 51d550 if u find one thats last years plasma if u can get that will be less than price of 51e550 and is Full HD.

U can try getting 51d550 if u find one thats last years plasma if u can get that will be less than price of 51e550 and is Full HD.

is there any big difference between these two?

i am also getting inclined towards panasonic 50st30

is there any big difference between these two?

i am also getting inclined towards panasonic 50st30
I dont think there is any big difference between the two ,51d550 being older u can get cheaper if available, At wht price 50st30 u getting for, got to be well more than 70k?

Thts great u shld go 4 that. Its awesome friend has one, really great tv.
u can try 50st50 too dont know whether its launched.

Okay I get it, any PLASMA other than ps51e550? no option for a 55incher under that budget?

How is Samsung UA46EH5000R?

Is there any big difference in LED and Plasma TVs?
mjumrani Do you know any reliable dealer at Gaffar?
Sorry mate, I do not know anyone in gaffar.
Also EH5000 is ok at best. Nothing to shout about.

50st30 was for 85k when i last checked.

More like 75k.

Thts great u shld go 4 that. Its awesome friend has one, really great tv.
u can try 50st50 too dont know whether its launched.
Launched in MH, not in Delhi yet.
OT: SMS language mate...

go for samsung ps51-e550. its an amazing tv plus its got 3d which is great.
i am using the tv in office for presentations and the colors are brilliant.

i purchased it for 71.5k little more than a month back

go for samsung ps51-e550. its an amazing tv plus its got 3d which is great.
i am using the tv in office for presentations and the colors are brilliant.

i purchased it for 71.5k little more than a month back

I'm a bit surprised. I thought it was more like a mirror on a wall, not ideal for a well lit (or even a decently lit) room.

I am still confused between the two. The Panasonic 50ST30 and the Samsung PS51E550. Will go tomorrow and demo the both side by side.

stormblast: Hey how about the media playback through the USB ports? I suppose it is the same as that of the LCD/LED TVs? I mean it reads all the types of media, no?

I saw the PS51-E550 display couple of days at a Vijay Sales outlet and the PQ was amazingly good for a display valued at 71k. I mean a similar LCD TV might cost upwards of a lakh. But it's a plasma display, so that's there.

Gauge: I believe only a full-HD plasma display will fit your budget unless you decide to go the grey market way. I am not aware of the pricing in the grey market - adder can help in this regard. The other option is to get a cheaper 46" LCD TV. There are plenty of options here. If USB playback is a priority, ditch all the brands and go ahead with Samsung. Till date, of all the displays that I have come across, this is the only one that hasn't failed me as far as media playback goes - plays a variety of formats. I believe even Panasonic does but I haven't tested a unit yet so cannot comment on that.

@Gannu I would be gerting be either of the two plasmas.

@adder Can you help me with the pricing of the same at grey market.

Last edited by a moderator:
In majority of the places they don't sell Plasma tvs in grey market.

Considering your viewing conditions are well Lit,i suggest you to look into a 46" lcd/led.Remember while a plasma may have excellent contrast ratio in reviews those are measured in a pitch dark room and the tv is covered with a black cloth to take the measurements,but the moment ambient light hits the screen there will be a loss in contrast be it a plasma or a lcd,but its worse with a plasma and if the living room has ample sunlight entering a plasma again doesn't have the sheer on demand brightness capability that lcds have to defeat glare.

Further more if a plasma is displaying a white or light colored image its brightness reduces with the increase of APL ,the brightness can reduce to as much as 1/3rd its peak brightness during a full screen (or close to) white image.

Any suggestions for a 46" LED or LCD? I am confused between the two sizes, 51 and 46. Viewing distance is 8-10 feet or may be less. I am more biased towards ps51e550 but not sure if it is suitable for my viewing distance conditions. dont want to regret later. any suggestions?

Back