Storage Solutions 500 GB or greater 2.5" external solution - which?

Vandal

Skilled
I'm upgrading from a 160 GB. Which one should I get from the plethora of options? Also how much should I pay? Are their E-SATA 2.5" solutions?

Speed not that much of an issue, though I'd love a USB 3 device. But reliability is of utmost importance. If possible guys with such drives, post your reliability issues if any.

I've heard bad stories about both Seagate and WD, I wonder how much of it is true. Lots of questions. Try and answer objectively please. Thanks.

Vandal said:
No WD love? Prime has quoted 4350 for a WD 500 GB Passport. Is that good?

Seems good enough. Be warned - WD ships with a bloatware with its devices though. It occupies a space on the drive which cannot be removed by formatting or deleting the partition. WD has released a new f/w which lets you disable it though.

I'd vouch for WD over Seagate thanks to Seagate's new policies for getting a defective drive replaced in our country.

You very well know the penetration of USB 3.0 and SATA 3.0 based devices and the motherboard into Indian markets. It might take some time before motherboard manufacturers switch to these ports and we see hard drives which will replace the earlier ones.

Desecrator said:
Seems good enough. Be warned - WD ships with a bloatware with its devices though. It occupies a space on the drive which cannot be removed by formatting or deleting the partition. WD has released a new f/w which lets you disable it though.
This issue was only with 750gb and 1tb drives .. The newer models(with updated firmware) do no suffer from this ..

^Could you confirm that? A fellow member from the forums suffered from the same a while back and had posted his agony in a thread here. A friend of mine who'd recently acquired a 320GB drive had the same issue.

Desecrator said:

I'd vouch for WD over Seagate thanks to Seagate's new policies for getting a defective drive replaced in our country.

That sick software can be removed. It's all about going to disc management and removing the selected partition and yes, I can vouch for the WD replacement. They are very good!!

Confirm the available disk space on your drive. I don't think despite removing the useless utility you can reclaim the space back.

Sorry i cannot find any concrete source for it ... I got this info from some forums i was browsing and Amazon reviews when i was trying to buy a 500gb myself .. In the Amazon reviews ppl posted that this software problem was with only the new 750gb and 1Tb drives and is now resolved for the latest batches

Does this answer your question? :p

Get the WD Elements 500GB. Have lots of them :p plus I have accidentally flung them onto the floor when the hard drive was copying some 4-5 times till date on a single drive. Still works :D. Elements does not come with any bloatware.

No wd love,, Harrowed with their replacement policy..

Id say, go segate.. Also there is a change in warranty policy. Think Segate gives 5 yrs and wd 3.

I have a WD Passport 320GB for the past 15 months. Good transfer speeds and no issues till now. WD Passport is smaller than the Seagate Go and looks better too.:)

Back