$6 billion -- The hidden cost of 90-day notice period to companies

Its not an argument for argument sake if you state something for the sake of stating something without evidence.
i don’t know what world you live in but if a company who recruits a candidate and wants to validate the experience claims they use a third party. not the letters.

Well I live in the same world as you although I am not sure if you are dreaming. The BGV starts only after HR validates all the documents you submit. Now imagine what will happen if you provide a photoshopped employment proof and they find out it wasn't even issued by your previous enmployer.

you know that companies cant do anything if employee doesnt serve notice period...
I dont know which industry you talking about but as far my best exp., even if you are 25yrs experienced you are bound to submit every piece of paper right form your first job.

From what I know, nobody works properly during their notice period and neither are they given any important tasks. Some guys I know, used to just come to office and chill and do literally nothing. So don't know what benefit the company is getting from holding on to such guys.
It totally depends. In one of my cos. I literally got assigned few projects in my name and responded by creating a hell of a nuisance to my harassing manager as I only kept sipping on coffees and tea and chilling around while not interested in doing anything. Finally he relieved me few weeks early :p

you could literally make a relieving letter in photoshop. so whats the argument here?
btw, in companies like oracle, the letterheads are usually available in stationary area near printers and letterhead templates are available in intranet site.
Well this was good before 1999... If now even if you dare to do so, they do mail the copies of documents you submit to verify the authenticity and when the opposite HR says they haven't released any of such documents, be ready to get blacklisted and or to face legal actions as well pay some compensation etc. totally depending on the cos. stand.

Just to add a very imp. line..
Probation period, offer etc. is all 50-50, you are only deemed to be a permanent employee only after passing all BGV checks! Mark my words!

Also, to anyone out there/here/everywhere, I will never ever recommend to fake anything. Honesty does count and you can work without the stress of getting fired/blacklisted etc. Disguise has its own value one has to pay for his entire life..
For my earlier initial cos. I do not have offer letters as back then I was not even aware of such document but only exp. letter/sal slips. So thereafter when cos. asked me I simply denied that I do not have them but they can verify with the HR etc.

Last edited:
Also, to anyone out there/here/everywhere, I will never ever recommend to fake anything. Honesty does count and you can work without the stress of getting fired/blacklisted etc. Disguise has its own value one has to pay for his entire life..
For my earlier initial cos. I do not have offer letters as back then I was not even aware of such document but only exp. letter/sal slips. So thereafter when cos. asked me I simply denied that I do not have them but they can verify with the HR etc.
Exactly. There is nothing casual about the BGV process and based on the industry (eg. finance / banking captive) its pretty rigorous.
Maybe its just me but I keep laminated copies of all the documents from the beginning.

Well this was good before 1999... If now even if you dare to do so, they do mail the copies of documents you submit to verify the authenticity and when the opposite HR says they haven't released any of such documents, be ready to get blacklisted and or to face legal actions as well pay some compensation etc. totally depending on the cos. stand.
you are getting the wrong impression. i am not saying that one should make their own letters but what i am trying to say is a piece of paper doesn’t have any value associated with it.
if you know or not but there was a time when people put satyam in their resume companies would automatically assume that it was fake experience.
btw i don’t know about 25 yrs experience letters but at least two companies i worked for don’t exist anymore and yet i managed to acquire references for my aussie pr and us i140. just to prove a point that that piece of paper called relieving letter didn’t matter since there was no way of validating it.
now coming to form 26as; its a government document and clearly states the pan numbers of companies that paid taxes on your behalf and can be used to prove that you worked for them and hr of previous company cannot deny that you didnt work there.
you see where i am getting at?

nowadays i work in us. but even in case of job offer in india i would not have any letters from say for example oracle because there is no formal hr letters for resignations here. just references from colleagues.

you just offended me by calling me a fake. the point here is that too much value is attached to a piece of paper. you are trying to argue for the sake of argument.
to add to this, no one gives a **** about how many years of experience one has. thats why there is a interview process to validate things. only if people were offered jobs based on how many years of experience they have these so called "service records" would make sense.
you must be living in a dream or doesn’t know much about the hiring approach in India. Experience is the primary driver in shortlisting candidate for interview as well as in determining which position you are going to get in the new company and it’s compensation.

making relieving letter in photoshop is illegal. You could be arrested for forgery as per section 464 of IPC. In my org., I had a colleague who faked her experience letter. She went through all the HR process and joined as well. But when the periodic background verification came up, they confirmed it’s fake and fired her with 1 day notice period.

it could be a great way for you to get fired and not serve notice period if you aim for it.
just to prove a point that that piece of paper called relieving letter didn’t matter since there was no way of validating it.
now coming to form 26as; its a government document and clearly states the pan numbers of companies that paid taxes on your behalf and can be used to prove that you worked for them and hr of previous company cannot deny that you didnt work there.
you see where i am getting at?
relieving letter is not so important, but experience letter is. Form 26AS doesn’t prove your designation. Some employers don’t deduct TDS because the taxable income after chapter VIA deductions would be less than basic exemption limit. Those employees, won’t have any entry in form 26AS. s

you know that companies cant do anything if employee doesnt serve notice period...
They usually dont care but be ready for no payment for that month, no fnf and definitely no relieving/exp. letters and also getting blacklisted forever!
I have seen well exp. managers etc. getting absconded so its not much of a deal.
And 90 days is literally slavery here and an open employee exploitation.
I really feel like slapping cos. where they want new candidates to join in 15days and could not wait for 60-90days notice while they themselves have 90 day policy.

I also feel why doesn't govt. proposes a uniform notice period across sectors??

I dont want to reveal but there are even cos. having 6-8 months notice period with some 1.5yrs bond. Imagine the open market exploitation and white collared slavery.. They just own you for this very period. We are better off with some labor work then on daily wage basis.

Last edited:
The reason is that cost of hire is much more than the cost of paying an employee for that 90 day period. Plus almost all companies make you actually work till the last day so they are technically getting their monies worth. So it’s a double win for them.
It's mostly for billing from the clients than the work/delivery.

The reason is that cost of hire is much more than the cost of paying an employee for that 90 day period. Plus almost all companies make you actually work till the last day so they are technically getting their monies worth. So it’s a double win for them.
Then why not retain existing workforce by offering them better pay packages? This they will never ever do but will pay us few thousands while we get billed for hefty lacs to the clients.

Then why not retain existing workforce by offering them better pay packages? This they will never ever do but will pay us few thousands while we get billed for hefty lacs to the clients.
Welcome to business. They would replace you with employee getting paid less instead of paying high to you.

Welcome to business. They would replace you with employee getting paid less instead of paying high to you.
Well then they shouldn't bear the price for existing employee for 3 long months and instead relieve him immediately!
No one will ever do such biz if one really cares for their money... what they want to do is simply exploit and harass!

Since this is bumped already, lemme ask: Does anyone know about the validity of charging GST on notice period buyout? It's written in my org's handbook, and I couldn't find any definitive sources saying yes or no. There was an Allahabad HC judgement upholding charging of GST, but I don't know if that'd hold up elsewhere, it's pretty sketchy from what I've read.

this petition mentions a CBDT circular, however, I was unable to find it on the CBDT site - https://www.localcircles.com/a/publ...er-pwc-sdc-kolkata-pvtltd/8276640clc88707c761

a govt press release stating salary is outside the scope of GST https://cbic-gst.gov.in/pdf/press-release/pres-rls-gst-gift-dt10july.pdf

Since this is bumped already, lemme ask: Does anyone know about the validity of charging GST on notice period buyout? It's written in my org's handbook, and I couldn't find any definitive sources saying yes or no. There was an Allahabad HC judgement upholding charging of GST, but I don't know if that'd hold up elsewhere, it's pretty sketchy from what I've read.

this petition mentions a CBDT circular, however, I was unable to find it on the CBDT site - https://www.localcircles.com/a/publ...er-pwc-sdc-kolkata-pvtltd/8276640clc88707c761

a govt press release stating salary is outside the scope of GST https://cbic-gst.gov.in/pdf/press-release/pres-rls-gst-gift-dt10july.pdf
Might depend on company how much they wanna suck you out... They dont care rather fear any govt unless their image gets tarnished by media and they then normalize such harsh shit policies..

For anyone curious, I abandoned my WITCH job to join a product company, and nothing happened. I just don't mention I worked there ever.

There is no rationale as to why Indian companies need to have a 90-day notice period. The same organisations that have 90 days as their notice period expect candidates to join within a few weeks which doesn't really add up.

I know companies who want you to complete the notice period of 90 days, will not let the new company buy your notice period, will mark you as absconding if you don't complete the notice period basically make the life of employee a living hell.

There was an incident with a contact who accepted an offer from company X and stated will join in a month, now existing company say Y said "We changed the rules today, now you have to serve a 90 day notice period which is non negotiable", company X said we cannot wait for 90 days good luck, and company Y has already tagged this guy as a possible thread :\
For anyone curious, I abandoned my WITCH job to join a product company, and nothing happened. I just don't mention I worked there ever.
Bigger Companies do require that info, they'll catch the paper trail or ask for releasing letter.

Bigger Companies do require that info, they'll catch the paper trail or ask for releasing letter.
I'm actually in a fairly large org (3K+ heads). I suppose it may be a "your mileage may vary" situation, but I just dont mention it and have never ever faced an issue.

Back