CPU/Mobo 64 bit better or C2D?

harshadbarge

Disciple
I m hearing a lot about these 64 bit processers flooding the market...
I wanted to know wether 64 bit processors are better than C2D processors (32bit)?
Whats the price advantage? Experienced users, please reply.:S

Thanks guys...
Do c2dx64 compared to a single 64 processor give better gaming performance? Cause, if the exp is the same.. no point in getting c2d right? can save a bit moolah and go for a better gamin card.

Go for Core2duo..its 64bit capable and also a gr8 performer with very low power requirement..Also by 'other 64 bit processors' if u mean AMD Athlon 64, yes, they have given most of their competing(desperately trying to compete) processors a price cut..but the fact of the matter is, they do not have anything remotely close in performance as a competing Intel Core2duo processor across its range...i think AMD will need more than a die shrink to match the performance of the C2D..;)

Well, do i smell of a fanboy??Yeah maybe..:eek:hyeah: But believe me, Intel has struck it right after a long time with the Core2duo n Core2eXtreme..even intel admits it..;)

harshad, you don't get 32-bits CPUs anymore (at least afaik). Currently available Intel C2D and AMD AM2 processors are all 64-bit. However, they work with 32-bit software just fine. 64-bit software hasn't yet caught on very well, and you'll find just about everyone here on TE running 32-bit Windows XP on their 64-bit machines.

Edit: In case you're buying a new PC, just post your budget and your requirements, and we all will help you put together the best system possible. :hap2: Till then, browse thru various threads to gain more gyan :D njoy!

Repped each one of ya.

Me back in business after a long long time and lost track.

This thread was news!

you guys are cool. Merci!

> S.I.M :)

My dad agreed to shell out 40 grand but i think i ve enough to stretch till 46...
the aim is to get sleek and decent stuff which i can have fun with for hours. the old 2.4 ghz 256ddr and 80gb hdd present but the sys is outdated... can i use any of the old stuff?

The HDD is always usable...regardless of if you buy a new HDD or not...extra storage never hurts.

Depending on which processor you choose the RAM may be usable too...

I think he might still be able to use his Processor. There seems to be nothing too bad with that... add a lot of RAM and a new gfx card (that will be difficult, I guess he has an AGP board) and he can probably do fine, even for casual gaming.

Well on a 46k budget I would strongly suggest a C2D, you would be blown away with the performance difference. Windows load times, etc would visibly decrease. I would suggest the following:

C2D E6300 -8k
Mobo: Depends on budget: MSI Neo F P965 for 6k at budget or Gig P965DS3 at 9k
RAM - 1 or 2 GB RAM DDR2 rated at 667 Mhz: 6 or 12k
HDD: 250 GB SATA II : 3.8k
Graphic Card: 7600GT for 8k from Palit

This would give you the start, rest cabbie, speakers, etc can be a personal choice.

techcheat said:
Well on a 46k budget I would strongly suggest a C2D, you would be blown away with the performance difference. Windows load times, etc would visibly decrease. I would suggest the following:

C2D E6300 -8k

Mobo: Depends on budget: MSI Neo F P965 for 6k at budget or Gig P965DS3 at 9k

RAM - 1 or 2 GB RAM DDR2 rated at 667 Mhz: 6 or 12k

HDD: 250 GB SATA II : 3.8k

Graphic Card: 7600GT for 8k from Palit

rather go for Leadtek 7900GS for 11.5k, which is far better than 7600GT:D

add your old HDD and get a 250gb Seagate SATA II- 3.8k

get MSI Neo F P965- 6.5k

get 1 gb transcend DDR2 667 for 5.5k

psu: powersafe 500W for 2.5k

cabby , speakers(only altec lansing 251 for 2.5 will fit in) are upto ur choice

The perfect config would depend on your needs.
Heavy broadband user - get plenty of hard disk space.
Serious gamer - get a beefy graphics card and better mouse.
Avid movie watcher - spend the most on an awesome LCD display.
More interested in music - sound card and speakers/headphones are more important.

If this PC is for general purpose use, then balance everything according to your preferences :D

Back