650W or 850W angle grinder

Pimpom

Disciple
I want to buy an angle grinder for general-purpose home use and am undecided between 600-ish and 800-ish watt models.

I'm pretty sure a 600-650W model will be powerful enough for most of my grinding and cutting needs. On the other hand, I like the possibility of attaching an 11.5" chainsaw kit for very occasional use and I'm wondering if a 650W model might be a bit deficient in power. The price difference between the two isn't much and I'd get an 850W unit in a jiffy except for one thing - the size and weight.

So, if anyone here happens to have used an angle grinder with a chainsaw attachment, what do you think about the power options? Asking here because I'm not in a position to go to go to a shop and get a feel for the tools. Thanks in advance.

I have a dewalt 850w angle grinder and it never has bogged down. I have not used any of those after market chain saw attachement. Since chain saws need constant lubrication of the blades as they cut, those cheap chinese after market conversions are only good for rare light uses.

Angle grinder is one of the most dangerous tools on earth for any user and adding a chainsaw to it makes it even more dangerous. They dont have any of the safety features a dedicated chainsaw will have.

At times I have switched the power socket switch On while the angle grinder was in switch On position. Imagine doing the same with a chain saw attachement.
They can easily cut of your limbs accidently, unlike a engine powered saw, angle grinder will run at full speed the moment you switch On the button.

A safer tool would be a reciprocating saw, they take longer to cut but will be safe.

Angle grinder is one of the most dangerous tools on earth for any user and adding a chainsaw to it makes it even more dangerous. They dont have any of the safety features a dedicated chainsaw will have.
Absolutely. It is always recommended to use dedicated tools.

That said, I have a Bosch 850W angle grinder and I never had any problems with it

I want to buy an angle grinder for general-purpose home use and am undecided between 600-ish and 800-ish watt models.

I'm pretty sure a 600-650W model will be powerful enough for most of my grinding and cutting needs. On the other hand, I like the possibility of attaching an 11.5" chainsaw kit for very occasional use and I'm wondering if a 650W model might be a bit deficient in power. The price difference between the two isn't much and I'd get an 850W unit in a jiffy except for one thing - the size and weight.

So, if anyone here happens to have used an angle grinder with a chainsaw attachment, what do you think about the power options? Asking here because I'm not in a position to go to go to a shop and get a feel for the tools. Thanks in advance.
Don't get the attachment, get the chainsaw as well if you are gonna use it enough. I have seen this over and over in my college's workshop, these attachments are dangerous and never preferred by anyone.
I would suggest to get a 850W from Bosch.

The question was whether 650W is adequate for very occasional light use with a chainsaw adapter. As someone with decades of experience in advanced technologies, I am aware of the importance of safety and of the desirability of using dedicated tools. But some situations call for improvisation and non-dedicated tools. BTW I do have a reciprocating saw and have used angle grinders for a long time.

Back