6681 or w700i (model <12k)

aElien

Disciple
Guys i want to buy a phone ~12.5k (excluding memcard)
Im a btech student. my needs are as yours, but a little less on the music and nerd side.

my priorities, well havent figured them out, so which one should i be getting ?

How good is the build quality of w700i ?
having worked on a IBM laptop i have a tendency to suspect any expensive equipment which is having a glossy finish :bleh:
no seriously what do you think when you compare it with N6681 ? processor of w700i?

W700i is better in terms of music and camera in comparison to 6681,
but 6681 has symbian

W700 is stylish and lighter than 6681 too.

So unless you want to have symbian phone... Go for the W700i eyes closed :)

errr What are the advantages of getting a symbian phone ?

better software support/options ? Symbian vs Java. how does SE OS fare here, i could get all the basic soft for the SE phone right ? i hear 6681 has a lot of funky tools.

Also i think w700i does not have edge. How seriously would one need edge in the near future ?

Also the processor speed and build quality comparison ?

ps: hey looks like someone messed up the symbian page on wiki Symbian OS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cant say anything abt the comparison .. bt ya .. abt the EDGE thingie ..

i really dnt think ki u wnt miss it too mch ..

i hv the same set .. no need for anything like Edge experienced abhi tak.

wid the stuff on ur comp .. and the data cable in the pack .. u wd be busy recycling ur songs ..

and the MMC card is included..

just make sure that the cam of the SE w700i is working perfectly ..

news of faulty sets been doing the rounds offlate..

Bt otherwise.. the fone wil serve u well .. u r a student .. and in that realm ..it wil be a good choice ..

Dunno about w700i. Im using a 6681 for about 6 months now, my first Symbian phone. In my experience, its nice to have Symbian and all but the cheapstakes have hardly given any memory on 6681 to enjoy it properly. Very few Java games run smoothly and if I can barely run more than two apps together...say I run Opera and Advanced Call Manager together and then try to open a third app....boink...some app has close down due to low memory. Then again, 6681 has no FM radio.

I vote for the 6681 .. i own one , and am so much in love with it .. camera is not my primary necessity ... and otherwise the 6681 has everything else u can ask for .. no radio though , but u can get online radio's via GPRS (infact u can have a shoutcast player) ...

Please do not get 6681 unless u are not planning to play games/multitask....
I have used it fr 3 months and have suffered throughout with "memory low:close some apps" messages......it honestly sucks imho

if u want symbian get 6630 or E50

and if cam then W700i is great and so is K750i...

hummm.

will i get all the basic softwares for w700i to play with ? is it having good software support and addons on the internet ?
SE w700i is having 34 mb shared int memory, what does that mean?

34 mb is the phone memory . . Other then the memory stick capacity . . The memory stick bundled is 256. . And yes java apps are quite limited compared to symbian apps . . Like dictionary and other apps are very limited. .

Get the 6681 only if you need symbian apps...for everything else get the w700i...much faster than the 6681 with as good build quality if not better :)

okay i went for w700i

SE sure knows to make customers happy!

eventhing cool, only problem: i installed all the drivers and stuff, the modem is responsing when i do a query, but the phone manager dosen recognise the phone. as soon as i connect the phone to the usb data cable im able to access the files in the mem card from the pc, and use the Disk2Phone software, but dosent detect phone in phone manager.

Also is this phone bluetooth 2? what is the approx cost of a bluetooth 2 dongle ?

err and fort minor - wher'd you go mp3 ringtone anyone ?

My Phone Ex was great. worked like a charm. thanks Xfactor. i downloaded the latest SE Phone manager, that didnt work either.

When i connect the phone through USB i cant access the mem card through the "phone". any way to work around this ?

also i took some photos, and i read about some recent shipments having trouble with the camera, can you guys see and approve the pic quality.

at night in room, no night mode
morning room

pics taken at 11:30am Kerala sun overhead.

also howcome the 2nd pic(cocunut tree closeup) size is 462, i took the pic on default settings.

aElien said:
When i connect the phone through USB i cant access the mem card through the "phone". any way to work around this ?

Naah it gets locked with the pc ... no way around this

aElien said:
also i took some photos, and i read about some recent shipments having trouble with the camera, can you guys see and approve the pic quality.
also howcome the 2nd pic(cocunut tree closeup) size is 462, i took the pic on default settings.

pics looks good enough ... the picture size will be more (around 500kb) if you set the picture quality to 'Fine' in camera settings as it captures more details ... maybe you've turned that on in the second pic :)

yeah i think thats the reason:ashamed:

hey what if i connect using Bluetooth 2 (its faster right?) dongle, would my mem card still be locked?

any good sites for softwares?
like soft for ringtones and re-encode/optimizing audio for phones, system related, tweak stuff, firmwares.

how do i check if my battery is working normally? its takes quite some time for the battery charge to go 100%. usually it sticks around 85% while charging. and as soon i take some photos or something, battery dischages rapidly.

i want to check my phone asap, cos im having exams and stuff, you know.

Back